TarpTent Moment DW; will it stand up in freak storms/wind?

I stumbled into the TarpTent Moment DW looking at Hilleberg 1 man options and really like the weight/features/design. I am looking for a single man high country tent to be used July-Sept in Colorado mainly.

How burly is the Moment DW? Anyone have any experience with it when SHTF and wind feels like its going to blow you off the mountain? I really like that it has the cross pole to add free standing structure as well when I know I might need it...if it didn't have that I probably wouldn't be so intrigued.

Theres plenty out there on the Hilleberg Enan/Akto withstanding some crazy stuff. I am really only finding more backpacker related uses where they are not stopping up in the rocks to camp on a sheep or goat hunt. Or I see lots of guys using them on Elk hunts down in the protected tree's. I know it will withstand a protected camp, but will I regret it if I am at 12,500 chasing sheep and goats?

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should be looking at the Scarp 1 from Tarptent if you're looking for their burliest tent. Plenty of videos from Scotland, Ireland, England, of those things bucking high winds on exposed ridges. 60mph wind is 60mph wind, whether it's at 3k feet or 12k feet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B
You should be looking at the Scarp 1 from Tarptent if you're looking for their burliest tent. Plenty of videos from Scotland, Ireland, England, of those things bucking high winds on exposed ridges. 60mph wind is 60mph wind, whether it's at 3k feet or 12k feet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yes, I have looked at the scarp 1, but what I didn't like about it is packed size and the +1-1.5lb added (depending on the crossing pole) compared to the Moment.

I also just have no experience with Tarptent and the material and if any design would be superior to just adding another Hilleberg to my shelter quiver.

You are right, wind is wind, and thats what I am talking about and I also am not lost on the fact that smaller and lighter is good until you need bigger and burlier. Always a compromise with these things!

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I have the original Moment. Single wall, but identical structure-wise. I have over 300 nights in it, mostly in the high country. So, it’s safe to say it’s been in just about every kind of weather you could imagine. It is waaaay tougher than you might think. I do carry two extra carbon stakes and guylines. I stake out the arch pole laterally when on high, exposed terrain where winds can be rough. They add an incredible amount of stability for 0.8 ounces.
For early season solo trips, I don’t think you can beat it. One pole and two stakes is money at the end of a long day on the side of the mountain in the dark.
I paid $199.00 for mine when they first came out. 300+ nights. What a value!