Taming recoil - Knight Ultra-light

eltaco

WKR
I recently had the opportunity to take my .50 cal Ultra-light out for its first test run. I’ve previously owned a Mountaineer which shot extremely well with 120gr (v) BH209 and Fury 320gr bullets. Since I had that load worked up already, I simply started there with the Ultra-light. I was pretty surprised how much more felt recoil this gun has!

I’m curious if there are any known ways to tame recoil. I researched having a brake put on and reached out to LR Customs, but he said the barrel diameter is too small to safely thread. I looked into installing a Limbsaver pad, but understand the stock pad is glued onto the stock. Do you have any recommendations for how to reduce felt recoil, other than significantly altering my charge volume? My mountaineer did not shoot well below 100-105gr, which is why I started high.

That’s a stout load in a light rifle. Lighter bullet (would help a lot) less powder, better recoil pad would all help. Simms makes an AirTech slip on recoil pad that helps a lot if you don’t want to remove the factory pad.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
That’s a stout load in a light rifle. Lighter bullet (would help a lot) less powder, better recoil pad would all help. Simms makes an AirTech slip on recoil pad that helps a lot if you don’t want to remove the factory pad.

Trust me, I felt all of that stout load for a couple of days!

This load is intended for elk this Fall. I’ll definitely see how much I can reduce charge and still get good results, but probably not looking to reduce bullet weight.

I’ll give that Simms a look, thanks for the recommendation!

Rich M

WKR
Lighter bullet or lighter powder charge, not a lot of variables to tinker with.

FWIW, You can always just fold a towel and put it on your shoulder as you figure things out.

Seems like a nice gun.

Wrench

WKR
You can do a barrel nut type brake vs one that threads to a shoulder. You will likely be looking at a premium charge because the threads will be custom and the lock has to be fabbed up... but it's easily doable.

I've got an Ultra Lite also but haven't shot it yet so curious to see. That certainly seems like a very heavy powder load to me and I'm planning to start around 90 gr. but not even sure on which powder I might try. I'd reach out to Sabotloader on here as I consider him most knowledgeable on Knights and I know he shoots a UL also.

I shoot the 300 Thor over the same powder and it is not fun. I need to look into that shoulder pad for the range.

ENCORE

WKR
I shoot the 300 Thor over the same powder and it is not fun. I need to look into that shoulder pad for the range.
You'll NEVER regret the PAST recoil pad. Note though, that they have different thicknesses. I have the magnum and always use it for the range and also competition. The Super Magnum for me would be too thick. My McMillan was ordered with the correct LOP for using just the magnum pad.

CMF

WKR
This WILL help greatly............

Wow, How did I not even know this was a thing...
Looking into it, I see Caldwell makes one too, has anyone compared them?

@eltaco have you tried a lead sled for the range? That's what I usually use if I'm trying to sight in or develop a load.

I have the Past recoil pad. Works great.

As for the Lead Sled - I wouldn’t mess with it. Too hard on your rifle and scope if you’re using one (which you should use to work up loads). And it alters the way your rifle recoils so you’ll just have to shoot it again to see where it’s really at. Try sand bags.

CMF

WKR
I have the Past recoil pad. Works great.

As for the Lead Sled - I wouldn’t mess with it. Too hard on your rifle and scope if you’re using one (which you should use to work up loads). And it alters the way your rifle recoils so you’ll just have to shoot it again to see where it’s really at. Try sand bags.
I didn't know it would alter point of impact. How much difference have you seen from the sled to a bag?

I didn't know it would alter point of impact. How much difference have you seen from the sled to a bag?
I’ll bet it could be inches at 100 yards. Give it a try and see. It’s probably been 10 years or more since I shot of anything other than a bipod or bags.

CMF

WKR
I’ll bet it could be inches at 100 yards. Give it a try and see. It’s probably been 10 years or more since I shot of anything other than a bipod or bags.
I didn't realize they were a problem, but after reading into it, looks like lots of people have problems.
Any recommendations for a bag setup? Are there any bag setups that help with recoil?

ENCORE

WKR
I second getting rid of the lead sled. More rifle stocks have been broken and twice as many scopes from shooting off a sled.

Learn to shoot off a bipod or a single front rest. Cheap knockoff Chinese bipods are NOT worth the money you'll spend. There are many copies of the Harris floating around. Myself, I prefer Atlas, but they are expensive. (Nothing in this game is ever cheap)

For a rear bag, the Protektor is used by many. I also use one. I will make a suggestion on the rear bag, even the Protektor. If you purchase just the leather, go to craft store and buy a yard of silk. Cover the bag with the silk and the recoil will travel straight back. When I use a front rest (Rock), I also cover the front rest with silk. It allows the rifle to recoil easily and will not affect accuracy.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had the opportunity to take my .50 cal Ultra-light out for its first test run. I’ve previously owned a Mountaineer which shot extremely well with 120gr (v) BH209 and Fury 320gr bullets. Since I had that load worked up already, I simply started there with the Ultra-light. I was pretty surprised how much more felt recoil this gun has!

I’m curious if there are any known ways to tame recoil. I researched having a brake put on and reached out to LR Customs, but he said the barrel diameter is too small to safely thread. I looked into installing a Limbsaver pad, but understand the stock pad is glued onto the stock. Do you have any recommendations for how to reduce felt recoil, other than significantly altering my charge volume? My mountaineer did not shoot well below 100-105gr, which is why I started high.
You could call Mag Na Port intl. They are in Mt Clemens Michigan, they have ported a couple muzzleloaders for me.