Talley style vs pic rail & rings

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
Building a western hunting rifle in 280AI. This is on a trued rem 700 action. 24" proof 1-8.4 twist barrel.
Whats yalls thoughts on talley style rings vs pic rail and rings. This will be topped with a VX5hd in 3-15x44.
I have read that pic rails can stiffen the action some. One advantage I can think of with pic rail is I could play musical scopes. Throw one of my higher mag scopes on it for load development... Nice to have 24 power when shooting groups to tweek loads etc...
Anyhow wanted some feedback for you all.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a killer build! I tend to put the Talleys on my rifles, as I like the design and lightweight of them. That said, my 280 has a pic rail and hearty rings (the builder steered some of those decisions). It's a heavy rifle, which makes me pass on it when there is a ton of hiking in the game plan. I'd consider if you're really going to swap around optics much after you've dialed in a couple of loads. I'd also challenge if a rail would really stiffen an action. That sounds odd to me. Good luck and I hope you post some pictures of the completed build.
-J

Krumfola

FNG
I too use Talley rings. Seems like the pic rail/ring combo is always too high even with the lowest rings for hunting

Reactions: JVS
Another Talley fan since I like my scopes mounted as low as possible. What stock will you be using?? That might make a difference in that even going pic rail/rings if the stock is set up right you might still be OK. Another consideration if if going low will your bolt handle clear your scope ocular. Think the Leupolds aren't that huge so anyway you go should be fine.

Sounds like the perfect build for out west, I'm a big fan of the .280AI's little brother, aka 7MM-08:)

Kurts86

WKR
The biggest downside to Talley rings is that you can’t always set a compact scope on a long action far enough back to get proper eye relief. It’s case on my long action Sako A7 with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and Talley rings.

The biggest downside to Talley rings is that you can’t always set a compact scope on a long action far enough back to get proper eye relief. It’s case on my long action Sako A7 with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and Talley rings.
That is a fact. I have several of the NXS Compacts and even on the short action Defiance I can just barely mount then back enough on a short action.

OP
JVS

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I handing even thought about scope adjustment for eye relief on a long action being limited. Glad I asked
The vx5hd in 3-15 is pretty short tubed too.. Sure that would have been an issue

WKR
I tend to used bedded Seekins rails and either Seekins rings or ARC rings. They are very strong. I no longer have any zero shifts using those and Nightforce scopes on backcountry rigs.

On a scope with a long mounting surface, your only concern would be alignment related issues, many of which are best solved with the Burris Signature Rings. For a rifle that will have double duty, you may want the capability to put a lightweight scope and a heavy scope on the same rifle for different applications, best facilitated by a pic rail.

The limitations of short mounting surface scopes have been covered above.

For a lightweight rifle that you're not intending to shoot particularly long (inside 800 yds) or that you intend to use a non-dialing scope with, you probably won't run into any limitations with the Talley's. Just don't lap them and you can always return them. once you figure out if they work for your setup or not.

OP
JVS

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
On a scope with a long mounting surface, your only concern would be alignment related issues, many of which are best solved with the Burris Signature Rings. For a rifle that will have double duty, you may want the capability to put a lightweight scope and a heavy scope on the same rifle for different applications, best facilitated by a pic rail.

The limitations of short mounting surface scopes have been covered above.

For a lightweight rifle that you're not intending to shoot particularly long (inside 800 yds) or that you intend to use a non-dialing scope with, you probably won't run into any limitations with the Talley's. Just don't lap them and you can always return them. once you figure out if they work for your setup or not.
Solid advise! Thank you

sndmn11

WKR
I tend to used bedded Seekins rails and either Seekins rings or ARC rings. They are very strong. I no longer have any zero shifts using those and Nightforce scopes on backcountry rigs.

I will echo this, a bedded rail and quality rings gives you endless options and versatility. I would throw @HawkinsPrecision and TPS in the mix with Kurt's suggestions.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
As has been mentioned, Direct Mount rings like our Long-Range Hybrids are the lightest option going. However you do lose some mounting flexibility using them on a Long Action. Using a set of our Ultra-Light Tactical rings you normally add about 2oz to the build, but you do gain some mounting flexibility.

We shoot our Long-Range Hybrids on a 300RUM on a R700. They will stand up to a 280AI just fine. For the most part though, our team runs Pic rails and Ultra Light Tactical rings on our hunting rifles.

OP
JVS

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with Ken Farrell rings? His 30mm low are the lowest I have found at .735. They look super like weight. With running the 44mm objective on pic base and rings I thought it may be a good match.
C3DF9A0A-929D-460C-B8D5-01D3FA2CE4E1.png

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I just completed this DIY Tenacity build, had trouble with bolt handle hitting scope, had to go with Talley highs even after I sent the action back to Defiance for a new bolt and 10 degree handle. I have another Tenacity waiting to be built and will use a the supplied pic rail to get the height I need as the new action / bolt still has clearance problems. The Talley's are light and keep the action area open, the pic system is very durable.