Talk Me Out Of A Quilt

R_burg

WKR
I mentioned them in the OP as considerations of mine other than a quilt. The 7’ is very attractive. Badger is of most interest for sure. Appreciate the input! I’m currently leaning towards that over a quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My apologies, dont know how I missed it.

Guess I didn't see WM brought up much when I read the thread!

sndmn11

WKR
I assumed your search was for a summer/early fall item since it was about quilts. What are you shooting for temp-wise?

I mentioned I have a WM astralite quilt, but I also have a kodiak and @KickinNDishin has a short badger. She DOES use that like a quilt, but half the time is sharing with our 4yo.

I have never liked the bag as a quilt in practice because, ironically, I think it is too drafty when used as a flat blanket and too warm when tucked under.

If you have the coin, the warm weather quilt/cold weather bag is a good deal.

OP
Bearwhisky
I assumed your search was for a summer/early fall item since it was about quilts. What are you shooting for temp-wise?

I mentioned I have a WM astralite quilt, but I also have a kodiak and @KickinNDishin has a short badger. She DOES use that like a quilt, but half the time is sharing with our 4yo.

I have never liked the bag as a quilt in practice because, ironically, I think it is too drafty when used as a flat blanket and too warm when tucked under.

If you have the coin, the warm weather quilt/cold weather bag is a good deal.

This particular hunt will be last week of September in CO somewhat near Gunnison, around 9-10k’. I have it in my head to plan to be relatively comfortable around 20* on the low end (willing to add clothing system layers to achieve this). This guesstimate on temp may be off as past trips to this area have been late October/early November. If someone has better insight on my temp guesstimate, please fire away. Also, my shelter will either be a Hilleberg Anjan, or a Stone Glacier Skyair ult tarp depending on forecast.

I will caveat all this by saying I am looking at rounding out my sleeping bag system beyond just this particular hunt. My only other quality bag is a zero degree Kifaru Slick bag that I have been comfortably in down to 3* with minimal layers. Currently eyeing the WM badger and the SG Chilkoot 15 as well.

OP
Bearwhisky
I am also considering the Sitka Kelvin aerolite sleeping bag as my friend is selling one for a killer deal. Im not sure its the perfect bag to add for this hunt, but the price is attractive.

sndmn11

WKR
This particular hunt will be last week of September in CO somewhat near Gunnison, around 9-10k’. I have it in my head to plan to be relatively comfortable around 20* on the low end (willing to add clothing system layers to achieve this). This guesstimate on temp may be off

Sounds about right.

wgonfan

FNG
I'm a sleeping bag hammock guy that has been looking to move to top quilt (already underquilted) and what I found was that for the same temp rating as my current bag I would only drop like 3OZ by moving to a quilt and would still cost about the same. I'll just unzip my bag

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
They can get drafty. If you need to hang out in a tent in cold weather it's easier to stay inside a sleeping bag and sit up. I find bags sleep warmer in general so quilt weight savings is not as much as it may appear if you need to bring more insulation to sleep well.

OP
Bearwhisky
I ended up ordering a Stone Glacier Chilkoot 15 degree bag. I had trouble find a WM badger in a 6’6” model, so this bag looked comparable. We shall see how the length works out for me. I talked to the guys at SG and they assured me it would be long enough for my height. I decided to get a mummy bag for the temps I’m expecting and get a quilt later down the road for some warmer temps. I appreciate everyones feedback.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Which quilt were you using? A more generous cut on a mummy bag and no hood would solve two of my problems, not sure on no zipper though.
Ponderosa MF from Western Mountaineering, or their Aspen in MF. Both are hoodless bags, with the Ponderosa being roomy to boot.

I have been a quilt fan for years. Own several but the -10* EE Conundrum is all I use now. Will never go back to a bag.

You'll get pros and cons both ways.
I made the quilt switch last year.....love it.
El Coyote is who I went with.....very good quality and very warm.
I'm a warm sleeper and my mistake was getting one too warm. I just find the freedom with the quilt is WAY better thar a burrito.🙂

Randy

In my opinion El coyote is the western mountaineering of quilts