Tactacam Reveal XB, does GPS work without power...?

Hey guys. I bought two tactacam reveal gen 2's and am wondering if i should have bought the XB's. Still have time to cancel...
Does the GPS in the units work if the batteries are dead? For instance if somebody were to steal them and remove the batteries, does the GPS function still work? Does the XB have anything better going for it than the gen 2?

BBob

WKR
I don’t know how a GPS or any electronic function would continue to work without power? Perpetual motion machine inside? If there were some sort of tracker like an air tag inside that had its own and separate backup battery maybe but GPS I’d think not.

OP
S
I don’t know how a GPS or any electronic function would continue to work without power? Perpetual motion machine inside? If there were some sort of tracker like an air tag inside that had its own and separate backup battery maybe but GPS I’d think not.
Separate backup battery somewhere? I dunno. I know other brands offer it and say with batteries removed it will still track

BBob

WKR
Without a separate backup battery I wouldn't know how that would work. What'd I think would happen is when the thief that stole it (or someone he sold it or gave it to) eventually turned it back on it would send you the coordinates and then and only then you'd know where it was.

BBob

WKR
So I was curious and did more looking. The Spartan anti theft GPS has an internal battery to run the GPS to track the camera if it's stolen. It has a separate antenna for the GPS function so it doesn't rely on the cell antenna for the GPS. I assume the others that advertise anti theft GPS tracking do the same. So there you go.

Last edited: