T3x Stainless Caliber selection

Hey, guys. New here, but referenced info from here quite a bit in the past. I'm looking at picking up a stainless T3x Lite, in either 308 or 6.5 CM. I just want a rifle that will shoot well with factory ammunition in a cartridge that can take whitetail reliably out to 300 yards, 400 at the most. Have come up hunting with 308, but made the mistake of selling an accurate rifle to buy a cerakoted rifle, and it turned out not to be a good shooter with any factory load I've put through it. I like a 308, just concerned about off the shelf accuracy with factory loads. Also heard a lot of people tell stories of losing deer with a 6.5 Creedmoor even with good placement, but I never fully believe them. Anyway, just wanted to hear some general thoughts and experiences, and if any of you have a T3x in 308, does it shoot a wide range of factory loads well?
Thanks

Antares

WKR
Tons of factory ammo available for both. Both will kill deer effectively at the ranges you’re talking about. The ballistic difference between the two don’t really matter at the ranges you’re talking about. I have Tikkas in both. If I were you, I’d get the 6.5CM.

OP
B
Good to know that you have Tikkas chambered in both. I was leaning toward the 6.5, may as well finally try it out. Thanks for the input!

Rich M

WKR
You already had 308. 6.5 is almost same thing, just 30-40 gr lighter bullet. If they lost deer they made bad shot. Simple. No losing a double lunged deer but easy to lose gut shot.

As for accuracy, both will shoot fine. 308 was the 1,000 yard match round til 6.5 with the long bullets came on the scene. Better technology, but nothing most shooters can tell.

Id get the 6.5.

OP
B
I'll probably get one of each! I'll pick up the 6.5 first and start working with it, then find a good 308 to start a project with.

OP
B
I had a T3x in 7mm-08 for a while, and it was a very accurate rifle. I didn't keep hardly any ammunition on hand and
I ended up selling it after not being able to find ammunition for so long during the pandemic shortage. I've thought about getting another in stainless, but have been hesitant to do so after that. At some point, I guess I should probably take up hand loading.

My creed has done the job on all the deer I have shot. nothing has gone more than 100 yards and many less than a few feet. It is softer shooting than the 308 and passes my ammo availability test (2 flavors of creed sold at my local Wally World). Having said that, there is notHong wrong with a 308 for your use and distance and there will be even more ammo to pick from.

FWIW both my 6.5 and 308 tikka shoot most things well but do their best groups with heavier bullets. ~140 in the creed and 180 in the 308. I primarily shoot factory 120 copper from my creed and it is plenty accurate for critters out to 400. If I were trying to punch small holes in paper at longer distances, I would probably shoot heavier bullets.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

6.5 prc

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 25

KenLee

WKR
Split the difference and get a 7mm-08.
That way, you'll never worry about what you hear about a 6.5 and still have better ballistics and less recoil than a 308.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info in this thread.

Suera

FNG
I have this rifle in 6.5 creedmor, i don't know about white tail hunting but I shoot many red deers here in Spain, also ibex, aoudad, hogs and more. Until 800 yards and always animals fell on his shadow.
I shoot Hornady eld-x and Barnes vortx factory ammo and both are very accurate and letal.

I'd consider the .270 win for deer to 400 yards, both my stainless .270 win tikkas enjoy 130 grain bullets. Not to derail but what factory ammo did your 7mm-08 shoot well? Got one this year with about 30 rounds through it so far and trying to decide which rounds to try. Thanks.

OP
B
Tons of good info from you all, thank you. Definitely a lot of cartridges to consider out there. That linked thread did have a lot of good info, as well. The T3x 7-08 that I had shot everything I tried in it pretty well: Nosler BTs, Hornady Custom lites, but I can't remember what else I put through it or what it shot the best, it's been a couple of years ago. I bought it for my girlfriend to use, but of course ended up shooting it myself a lot.

OP
B
243 win in new 1:8 twist barrel
I've been wanting to get one of the newer model # T3x ember roughtechs, which is spec'd on their site with a 1:8. Do you know if that's legit, or just a mistake on the site? I found a 20" as the model # with supposed 1:8 twist, but it's listed at $600 over retail.

Motown

WKR
I have 5 Tikkas including a 308 superlite and 6.5 CM wideland. In addition I also have a CA Mesa 6.5 CM which is pretty much my go to rifle anymore

When the 6.5 CM came out I swore I would never own one and thought it was way over hyped. After a few years I finally caved and it has been my favorite deer cartridge now by far. Many guys on here will still tell you it’s an overhyped cartridge, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Between my son and I we have shot roughly around 15-20 deer with the CM in the past 6-7 years and none have gone further than 50 yards and a majority have dropped instantly. All of our hunting is all done within 400 yards for the most part and the Nosler Ballistic Tip is all we use anymore 95% of the time. I also really like my 308 tikka, but the 6.5 is all I really use anymore.