T3x Lite vs Savage Lightweight Storm

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
if you're going lightweight, then the savage would win because the $200 you save can go to a lighter mount and lighter scope.

the fit and finish on a tikka is far superior to a savage. i own both and work in a gunstore so i get to fondle a lot of guns. if i really wanted to go lightweight without paying excessively, i'd give savage a go. but at this point in my life i'll save and pay more for a nicer gun. and carry the extra pound on my tikka.

From the BP description...

Designed for lightweight carry over extreme terrain, the trim Kimber® Hunter™ Bolt-Action Rifle specializes in extended-range accuracy. Kimber 84M stainless steel action utilizes a Mauser claw extractor and a 3-position wing safety.

TheHammer

WKR
I owned both at the same time. Kept the savage, it is my favorite rifle. Currently putting it in a mesa precision altitude stock with the cheek riser. Before stock swap it was 7.1lbs fully dressed. I’m guessing it’ll be 7.6-7.8*lbs now. When I get some time this spring/summer I’ll do a post showing the weights, along with my UL also in 308. I have tbac ultra 5s on order for both as well.

RS3579

WKR
The safety on the savage is right behind the bolt and on the Tikka it’s to the right of the bolt. Not a big deal to some but I preferred the one on the savage. I have the LW Storm and really like it. Nice to carry and it is very accurate. Both are good rifles. As others stated, go handle them both. The savage has a stock that allows for spacers to be added or removed. @Newtosavage has a thread about the LW Storm and has included a aftermarket stock that is now available. I think it’s a little lighter than the factory one. Good luck in your decision.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I run counter to the crowd. I own 4 savage rifles and have owned 4 different tikkas. All of the guns shot comparably well but I will say the tikkas seemed to like any load I tried while the savages were a little more picky. I just could never fall in love with the tikkas stock, always felt like garbage to me. Even had two hunter models and the wood stocks still were not all that great. It's a personal preference thing and had nothing to do with performance.
Currently having a lightweight hunter rebarreled to 284 Winchester I'm pretty excited to get back. Those lightweight hunters and lightweight storms are alot of gun for the money when you are looking in the mountain rifle category. I have handled two savage ultralights Abby didn't care for them at all, again just a personal preference thing.

grfox92

WKR
Does anyone know about the Savages ability to be threaded? Does it have the same issue as the Tikka?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

nate907

FNG
Tikka, but go to your local retailer and handle them both. had to make the same decision not too long ago. savage offerings just felt cheap and the tikka bolt is stupid smooth.

Tikka, but go to your local retailer and handle them both. had to make the same decision not too long ago. savage offerings just felt cheap and the tikka bolt is stupid smooth.
True but the Savage “slop” won’t cost you a shot on an animal.

While I have some crazy accurate rifles, my Savage Lightweight Hunter (previous version) is my most “instinctive” shooter. Hard to to explain but that booger is just an extension of me.

But I love my damn Tikkas.

2-Stix

WKR
I have owned both. Sold the Savage because it is not even in the same league. What a POS. The bolt grinded on the mag. The first Storm Savage drilled the scope screw holes off. Sent it back cost me $200 in shipping droes and transfer to my FFL. The second has even more poor fit and finish. Never again.

I now own 3 tikka that are awesome. Tikka would eat any ammo I give it, savage was more particular.

You can get them all to shoot well, but the fit and finish is just huge.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
A buddy once told me
“Friends don’t let friends shoot savages”
And since we are all friends here on rokslide that’s my advice… 😂

TIKKA

atmat

WKR
I’ve owned Savages that shot great. I now own a Tikka that shoots great. Shoulder them both and see what you like.

Tikka’s are always popping up used, and you can get really good deals. I bought my Stainless T3X like-new locally for $600 back in January.

I have owned several tikkas and savages. All have shot well. If this is a gun that is going to be used in the woods alot buy the savage. The nicer fit and finish of the Tikkas have never added up to an advantage when I hunted with them. Put the little money you save into better optics. Just my two cents.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Well since this thread has been revived I'll jump in as well. I've had several Savages and liked all of them, and I recently purchased a T3X Lite Stainless. One selling point for me on the Tikka is the integral rail on top of the receiver. I know most people probably never have an issue with their scope base moving on the receiver, but no matter how good your rings are, you're still relying on 4 tiny 6-48s to hold everything perfectly in place.

Trigger wise, everyone bashes Savage but of my 3 Accutriggers, 2 of them (116 Weather Warrior and 110 Storm) have been just as light and crisp as my Tikka. The third (Lightweight Storm) was crisp but heavier, I assume it was just adjusted heavier from the factory but I never messed with it.

Action smoothness wise, two old school 110s, and the 116 Weather Warrior were perfectly slick, but I bought all of them used. Of the two new ones I've purchased, the Lightweight Storm despite the fluted bolt cycled pretty slick. The 110 Storm out of the box was horrible, but over the 115 rounds I shot through it, and probably twice that many dry cycles, it smoothed up just fine. It didn't get quite as smooth as the Tikka or the older 110s, but it was improving considerably with use.

Threading wise, my Lightweight Storm muzzle measured .550" and the barrel is already relatively short at 20 inches so you're only real option is 1/2" threads and have your gunsmith permanently screw a shoulder on. Do some digging regarding 1/2" threads on 30cal bore, lots of opinions on both sides of that argument...

Out of my Savages, I liked the 116 Weather Warrior and the Lightweight Storm the best.

Once I get more time in on this Tikka I'll probably figure out what I don't like about it as well...