T3X CTR Float?

nobody

WKR
Picked up my first Tikka 2 weeks ago, a 20” CTR in 6.5 Creed. Torqued the action screws up (loose from the factory) to a realistic value, everything centered up and lined up PERFECTLY, and everything seems to be seated correctly. Mounted up the SWFA in Seekins rings, thoroughly degreased, the whole 9 yards.

I was installing my rev. indication stickers (my wife has a cricut machine and I have her print me off decals with a number corresponding to where in the travel range I’m zeroed), and noticed the free float at the end of the stock is about 3/16” between the bottom of the barrel and the stock. I know the standard Lite models aren’t floated that much because my brothers have them, but the CTR’s (from looking online) seem to be more floated.

Question is, is this normal? The barrel is centered up, it runs great, and this was my first 10 shot group from a bipod, so it shoots good. Can anybody with a CTR confirm what your (approximate) gap size is at the front end of the stock? I really feel it’s seated properly, it just surprised me and I have no frame of reference other than my brothers’ lite models.

Attachments

• 626C99E2-1EC5-43CD-B8C3-E666EA9A1141.jpeg
    626C99E2-1EC5-43CD-B8C3-E666EA9A1141.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 12

mt100gr.

WKR
I haven't measured my CTR but I know the barrel channel is much more generous than the various T3x Lite models that I own. Looks like it shoots like a CTR, too!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I haven't measured my CTR but I know the barrel channel is much more generous than the various T3x Lite models that I own. Looks like it shoots like a CTR, too!
Nice, thanks! That’s what I figured and what it looked like from checking the google machine too. Appreciate the feedback!

And thanks for the compliment, I was pretty pleased with its shooting. I had a good shooting day on Saturday too, so I think the stars aligned a bit and I didn’t hold it back and I got to see how the gun can actually perform. This was with factory eld match 140 too, no tuning or hand loads or anything. I’m pretty tickled! I see why everyone loves them, hopefully it’ll perform half this well at the NRL Hunter matches with a mouth breather like me behind the trigger!

mt100gr.

WKR
Nice, thanks! That’s what I figured and what it looked like from checking the google machine too. Appreciate the feedback!

And thanks for the compliment, I was pretty pleased with its shooting. I had a good shooting day on Saturday too, so I think the stars aligned a bit and I didn’t hold it back. This was with factory eld match 140 too, no tuning or hand loads or anything. I’m pretty tickled! I see why everyone loves them!
My 20" CTR in 6.5cm has shot every bullet I have tried very well. It's really impressive with the 156gr EOL over Reloder26!

Super fun rifle to shoot!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
My 20" CTR in 6.5cm has shot every bullet I have tried very well. It's really impressive with the 156gr EOL over Reloder26!

Super fun rifle to shoot!
That’s good to hear! I’m glad to hear you also didn’t run into seating depth issues with those heavier bullets, the big heavies intrigue me…

mt100gr.

WKR
That’s good to hear! I’m glad to hear you also didn’t run into seating depth issues with those heavier bullets, the big heavies intrigue me…
I don't even remember measuring to the lands and I know I didn't mess around with seating depth. I loaded a couple to just fit in the magazine and that was it. And the CTR has a long magazine OAL allowance.

My CTR will shoot right along side my RBros for 10 shots with ease. And mine is 100% how it came from the factory other than trigger adjustment and action torque.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I don't even remember measuring to the lands and I know I didn't mess around with seating depth. I loaded a couple to just fit in the magazine and that was it. And the CTR has a long magazine OAL allowance.

My CTR will shoot right along side my RBros for 10 shots with ease. And mine is 100% how it came from the factory other than trigger adjustment and action torque.
Sounds like I need to pick up some heavy A Tips and EOL’s 👍