T3X CTR Factory Bottom “Metal” - Material?

nobody

WKR
Evening all.

Anybody know what material Tikka’s CTR factory bottom “metal” is made from? I know the varmint and standard models use plastic, but from messing with the CTR I picked up this week it seems like it might be actual “metal”, maybe aluminum? Tested it with a magnet and I know it’s not magnetic, but it feels more substantial than a polymer/plastic.

Also, while I have your attention, anybody know if the CTR’s come with bedding pillars? I’ve read some conflicting reports, some say yes and some say no. Just curious.

Just trying to get this thing set up for maximum reliability and accuracy, going to be starting up some NRL Hunter matches this year and picked this thing up to run factory class. I’ve got the Seekins Rings and the SWFA mounted up and ready, got most of the gear I need, just need some help getting things set up perfectly.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
OP
N

nobody

WKR
ADD: I’m asking these questions because all tikkas come with the same instruction manual, and the manual says to torque to 44 inch pounds for plastic and 65 for metal. I checked the action screws and they were loser than 44, but I’m trying to figure out if I need to jump to 65. Don’t wanna crush anything.

CTR bottom metal is aluminum. None of the t3x line have pillars. I torque every Tikka action screw in my gun safe to 50 inch pounds, and that includes various flavors of bottom metal and stocks. Mostly for simplicity. Action screws get 50, scope rings get 25.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
CTR bottom metal is aluminum. None of the t3x line have pillars. I torque every Tikka action screw in my gun safe to 50 inch pounds, and that includes various flavors of bottom metal and stocks. Mostly for simplicity. Action screws get 50, scope rings get 25.
And you’ve never had an issue crushing the plastic on the CTR underneath the aluminum?

Macintosh

WKR
I put a file to my ctr bottom metal for a modification and can confirm it is aluminum.
Owners manual says maximum torque for their stock is 45in lb, so thats what I’ve used. Around the interweb I found people suggesting more torque, but I also found a few reports of deforming the factory stock due to excessive torque (believe those were people torquing to 65). Edit to add, believe the problem was the surfaces inside the stock supporting the action, not the bottom metal.

Last edited: