T3X and Ruger American questions

I’m in the market for a new rifle and have pretty much narrowed it down to the T3x or a ruger American all weather in 7mm-08

Is there an appreciable difference in weight between the Lite stainless and the super light? I have read anywhere between 2-8oz difference between the models.

How much of a step down is the ruger American all weather from the Tikka lite stainless?

As if it matters, a Vx-2 3-9 will be on it.

Thanks
Mike

Check out Whittakers on the tikka in lite stainless. Email them for a price. You won’t be sorry.

elkguide

WKR
I have been a Ruger fan for years but the Tikka is way above the Ruger American.
That's where I would go between those two choices.
7-08 is a great caliber.

OP
S
Check out Whittakers on the tikka in lite stainless. Email them for a price. You won’t be sorry.

I’ve done that. But, thanks to the FFL costs in California, the Lite comes within $50 of what I can get the superlite for right now at SW (on sale for $699)

weaver

WKR
I have a Tikka and a couple Americans. Tikka is definitely a nicer rifle but there's a lot to like about the Ruger. Light weight, decent trigger, and mine all shoot moa or less. Even a .450 bushmaster.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Both stocks are junk, not sure which is worse. Tikka has a better magazine and trigger, and is better in every other category. The ruger I had was very accurate until it got warm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I've got both...

The Tikka is a well made gun built to be as inexpensive as possible. The Ruger is an inexpensive gun built to be as well made as possible.

If I had my druthers...I'd have a Tikka over a Ruger...but I've killed game with both and both work well.

howl

WKR
The Ruger American I had was never consistent in grouping due to the flimsy stock. The Tikka has a better stock and a better trigger.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a superlite and several lites. It was a couple ounces, it's about a wash. I personally don't mind the factory Tikka stock, particularly when you add a vertical grip to the T3x. I've had a bunch of McMillans and Manners, and yes they are far better, but from a purely functional standpoint my Tikkas have mostly shot just as well in factory handles.

OP
S
After much hand wringing, a TX3 Lite Stainless in 7-08 is coming from Whitakers. Decided that a few ounces wasn't a deal breaker for me and I'd rather put the $50 into a spare mag.

Of course, the day after I order it, I see the SW gift card promo....Doh!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
After much hand wringing, a TX3 Lite Stainless in 7-08 is coming from Whitakers. Decided that a few ounces wasn't a deal breaker for me and I'd rather put the $50 into a spare mag.

Of course, the day after I order it, I see the SW gift card promo....Doh!

You made the right choice!!

Randy