Synumn bow press for newer Mathews(VXR) and Bowtech Realm?

Hey guys.

I think I’m about to go down the rabbit hole of tuning my own bows. I have an awesome tech that lives nearby but honestly I hate bothering people for tune issues or whatnot... itd be awesome if I could just pop out in my garage and do the work myself.

Ive sorta considered a LCA Ez Green, but for as little as I’d use it, it would be taking up a ton of space.

That brought me to the Synumn press. Seems to get decent reviews, but I can’t find anyone who has used it with the aforementioned bows.

Does anyone here have any experience with it - or have a portable press they could recommend?

Thanks!

Zac

WKR
I had to look it up to make sure that was what I thought it was. If you've ever pressed a bow before you'd know that rarely is it one and done. There is no way I'd want to be hooking all that crap on over and over. You will be happy to give up the space for a LCA, and you will end up using it for everything.

MT257

WKR
I can check if it fits on the vxr tonight with the Synum. Down fall as stated is it takes some time to continually have to take press off and then put back on. I’m hoping to have an EZ press by this fall to get rid of the pain of having to use the synunm as it just seems to take longer

Reactions: Zac
OP
J
Trust me, part of me wants a regular press... but I literally have no place for one. I would be replacing the trouble of taking the synunm on and off for having to grab the press out of whatever corner I could stash it in, clearing off a table and clamping it down every time I used it.

In other words, it’s gonna be trouble every time. However if the synunm won’t work then it’s not like I have a choice in the matter.

Ive also watched my current bow tech tune bows, I realize that it’s not a one and done - it’ll go into and out of the press multiple times before it’s tuned.

MT257

WKR
Trust me, part of me wants a regular press... but I literally have no place for one. I would be replacing the trouble of taking the synunm on and off for having to grab the press out of whatever corner I could stash it in, clearing off a table and clamping it down every time I used it.

In other words, it’s gonna be trouble every time. However if the synunm won’t work then it’s not like I have a choice in the matter.

Ive also watched my current bow tech tune bows, I realize that it’s not a one and done - it’ll go into and out of the press multiple times before it’s tuned.

honestly a call to Mathews asking them about the compatibility of the vxr and synunm. I’d hate to say yea I can put it on there and then you go ahead and do work with it and ends up voiding your warranty.

OP
J
honestly a call to Mathews asking them about the compatibility of the vxr and synunm. I’d hate to say yea I can put it on there and then you go ahead and do work with it and ends up voiding your warranty.

I don’t think Mathews approves of anyone working on the bow outside of authorized dealers.

Also, most of my bows are bought used so I don’t think there is a warranty anyhow which is why I’m not super concerned about it. I don’t want to damage them though.

I use mine all the time. It's mounted so I can pick it up and move it. It actually fits in the back of my SUV the way it's setup so I can work on the bow from my vehicle. I'd find closet space to keep a regular press and drag it out when you need it.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I will go against the grain and say that for a situation where you don't have a lot of space, the synumn is hard to beat. It would be great to have a full press that's setup and ready to go all the time, but if you don't have the room the synumn really isn't much slower. I use it a lot when I'm tuning away from home and don't feel handicapped at all. It probably takes me a few seconds longer than when using the LCA press, but the portability definitely makes up for that. I can tune a bow absolutely anywhere.

I don't have any personal experience pressing the VXR or Realm with it, so I can't answer your original question, but for the price and portability I really like the synumn press. It's definitely the best of portable presses that I've seen.

OP
J
I will go against the grain and say that for a situation where you don't have a lot of space, the synumn is hard to beat. It would be great to have a full press that's setup and ready to go all the time, but if you don't have the room the synumn really isn't much slower. I use it a lot when I'm tuning away from home and don't feel handicapped at all. It probably takes me a few seconds longer than when using the LCA press, but the portability definitely makes up for that. I can tune a bow absolutely anywhere.

I don't have any personal experience pressing the VXR or Realm with it, so I can't answer your original question, but for the price and portability I really like the synumn press. It's definitely the best of portable presses that I've seen.

Trust me, I wish I had the space to keep a full press set up. When I made the decision to buy a press I fully considered a regular press but I keep coming back to “where the hell am I going to put this thing”.

not sure if this helps but ive used a synum on a bowtech experience and hoyt nitrum. I'm just like you, no space like a man cave or garage for a bow press so it is what it is. Its a great little piece of equipment and I do all my yoke tuning with it. lancaster archery has a live chat available on their site during business hours, maybe ask them though there I;ve always found them helpful. or ask in the mathews or bowtech forums on archery talk. or message synunm through their facebook page

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the exact same situation as you. I went with a synumn, and have been extremely impressed! If you are going to do a ton of work, obviously a big press is the way to go, but that wasn't an option for me.

I can't speak for the Bowtech, it fits my VXR perfectly. But you have to order the model for the newer wide limb Mathews, I called them to verify with them. My wife has a chil X, it works for hers, just not great. I would use it to swap a peep, maybe twist the strings, nothing more just have to be a little careful.

OP
J
I was in the exact same situation as you. I went with a synumn, and have been extremely impressed! If you are going to do a ton of work, obviously a big press is the way to go, but that wasn't an option for me.

I can't speak for the Bowtech, it fits my VXR perfectly. But you have to order the model for the newer wide limb Mathews, I called them to verify with them. My wife has a chil X, it works for hers, just not great. I would use it to swap a peep, maybe twist the strings, nothing more just have to be a little careful.

Exactly what I was looking for!

You’re saying you wouldnt trust it on the Chill X but using it to swap strings and stuff on the VXR is good?

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what I was looking for!

You’re saying you wouldnt trust it on the Chill X but using it to swap strings and stuff on the VXR is good?

Yes.... minor work on the Chill would be fine.
The VXR you can do anything you need. As long as you order the correct folks.

NYSKIER

WKR
I know a lot of guys have chimed in already and you've gotten some good input on the synumn but I've got agree with Hoot. Once you start using the press you're going to find yourself using it more and more so I'd go EZ Press. I thought I didn't have the room but I got one any way and have made due. It fit's in smaller places than you think and you can just clamp it to a table instead of leaving it permanently. I've found I like tuning so much that I tune my friends stuff too and I like to come on here to bounce ideas off to the rokslide family because there is tons of tuning knowledge on here

2blade

WKR
I use my synumn on my Bowtech btx-31 whenever its needed, and the D340, and the Xpedition X6. Great little press that does everything for me but disassemble the entire bow. Never tried in on a Mathews.

MT257

WKR

How did you get the brackets to fit around the wheels where the little yokes connect too? I just tried mine and my brackets dont fit unless i pinch one of those?

OP
J
How did you get the brackets to fit around the wheels where the little yokes connect too? I just tried mine and my brackets dont fit unless i pinch one of those?

Obviously I don’t have one yet - but they make one specific to Mathews that should address that issue. it sounds like you have the regular one.

MT257

WKR
Obviously I don’t have one yet - but they make one specific to Mathews that should address that issue. it sounds like you have the regular one.
I dont have the adapters no. I just have the synunm press