Switching Releases

Gonewest

WKR
I’ve always shot a wrist release. My release finally failed and I need to replace it. I’m considering switching to a thumb release. My question is for those who have made the switch. Has anyone not liked a thumb release and switched back to a wrist release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone back and forth over the last couple years. Best advice is it's going to be a personal decision so stick with what you shoot best and if you do tinker buy used releases. You'll save money that way and usually hardly loseoney if you sell what you don't like.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched to a handheld release this year after shooting an index for years. I jumped over to a hinge and recently tried switching back to the index just to see.

Index was nice for not having to hold anything while drawing back. Otherwise, the consistency of my anchor point, and overall shot process is much better with the hinge.

I just started shooting a hinge, I still use an index every now and then and I shoot it way better than I did before I started using a hinge. really interesting

Marble

WKR
I’ve always shot a wrist release. My release finally failed and I need to replace it. I’m considering switching to a thumb release. My question is for those who have made the switch. Has anyone not liked a thumb release and switched back to a wrist release?

IMO, if you want to shoot a thumb well, learn how to shoot a hinge, then go to the thumb. Or buy one that does both.

For the great majority of people who shoot the wrist rockets, they lunch the crap out of thr trigger. You can learn how to shoot the index with tension but it's difficult.

I shoot a hinge all year until July when I switch to the button. I shoot it through archery season and go back to the hinge after the season.

For me, the hardest part about the thumb is getting the trigger/button into the most comfortable position.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a wise choice two years ago, I hunt with it vs index.
I would agree, its not going to solve any problems of target panic (if there is). I will add reps with a back tension in the mix to keep things honest.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting out West I always opt for a good wrist release. I used a thumb release one year and lost one release (found it later luckily) but found it hard to keep up with and harder to engage at the moment of truth. I opted for the B3 Hawk with the strap (not the hard connection from wrist strap to the release, but the webbing) and so far it's been one of the better wrist strap releases I've shot.

For whitetail at home I like the thumb release, clip it on and hang my bow on a bow hanger arm and I'm ready to go.

Adipose

FNG
I switched to a Carter Wise Choice thumb release a couple years ago. Dusted off my old Carter Quickie this year and maybe its all in my head, but I feel like my groups are smaller using the index vs the thumb. Plan to run the index this hunting season after using the thumb the last couple years.

Luked

WKR
I switched to a Nock 2 it a month or so ago and have much better luck with it.
I'll use it this season then probably go to a hinge. I also have the Nock On Silverback resistance release but I haven't used it yet.
I have a lot to work on after this season due to some major target panic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
I was one of those that switched and went back a couple times
Started having issues with my Mongoose, so made up my mind to switch. Bought a Wise Choice, sold one of the mongoose’s and made myself shoot it. Still have one mongoose, but picked up another WC. It takes more discipline to shoot the WC, but I do shoot better.
I’ll never go back.

A.AYE.RON

FNG

I went from a spot hog wrist release to a thumb Stan and enjoyed it for a season but this season I went back to the wrist release. I feel it’s good to have both. When I get tired of one I’ll go back to the other and it allows me to have an extra in my pack if something happens to the other.