Switching bladders

I know some don't like bladders in their pack, but I do. Maybe. I'm considering a slurpy stalked to put the water in between frame and pack.

Anyway, pulled the pack apart yesterday and found out the big zip lp I was running came off of the zipper handle allowing it to spill some water in the pack. So I need a new bladder that won't do that.

Considering a source bladder as I just ordered some of their accessories. It looks to have a significantly more robust zip system. The other option I am looking at is a platypus hoser.

The open top doesn't matter as I only put water in it and I fill using quick connects and a cnoc bag.

What other bladders should I be looking at?

Edited to add the geiggerig engine looks nice. Don't need the air pump feature though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Msr dromedary bags are the toughest you will find IMO.

They make a hose kit for them. That’s what iv been using since having platy camelbak and source leak

OP
silverbullet555
Msr dromedary bags are the toughest you will find IMO.

They make a hose kit for them. That’s what iv been using since having platy camelbak and source leak
Where did your source bag leak?

Lawnboi

WKR
The hose connection.

I had one trip that a 2l msr from light saved. It was a trip where there was little water in sharp territory and 3 other bladders failed. Also use bladders constantly for mtn biking, but when it comes to going in a pack with hunting gear or especially coming out of the pack during a hunt Ingram the dromedary. And on the plus size you can get them in many sizes

Lawnboi

WKR
It comes with a 3 way cap, you buy the kit and it just screws in on the smaller portion of the cap.

Most of the time I don’t actually use the hose, only some of the time. A lot of times dependent on location I’ll fill the bag and either leave it at camp and use a nalgene, or I’ll use it to fill my nalgene to be able to mix in flavor and better assess my water situation.

slowelk

WKR
I too like a water bladder with a hose more than a nalgene on my waist belt. I switched from a camelbak to a msr dromlite with the hose system, and found the hose system to be bulky. The hose was definitely an afterthought since that was never the intention of the dromedary/dromlite bags. I then went out to buy a platypus, but came home with a hydrapak 3L and I really like it. You can run it in compressed mode (max 2L) or full mode (3L). It's very lightweight and simple and has not leaked or failed in anyway. I just recently bought the arctic fushion freeze-proof hose and it works well too.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I use a MilSpec Camelback bladder. I'm not an ounce counter, so the extra durability of the bladder lays off for me in the long run. Especially since I use a Kifaru Reckoning and keep the bladder between the pack and frame.

I noticed this year that the mouth piece disconnect on it is the same size as the quick connect adapter for filling it from my Sawyer squeeze system, so I didn't even have to cut the hose or insulator that came with it. Added bonus for me. I don't know if that applies to all the Camelback connections or just this one, though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
Well, I do have have a source low profile on the way.

The dromlite has really good reviews too, but I didn't want to buy the other tube kit. I also read a lot about the taste in their bags. It sounds like they used to not have that issue, but have changed some things.

We'll see how it works out.