SWFA 3-9x42 Question

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a 3-9x42 Demo-B from the sample list. First observation, is that while it was listed HD online, "HD" is not printed on the scope. So there's that, but not the end of the world for what I paid. I already own a 6x mil-quad that I like a lot.

For all you SWFA experts,The real question though is this: is it normal for the scope to "tunnel" on the 3x setting? The sight picture is substantially tunneled at 3x, and this completely goes away by the time you have it on 4x. At 4x and higher, the scope is "full screen IMAX theatre", so to speak. I've only owned one other FFP scope that was 1-4x and I don't remember it doing that. I also own a Burris 3-9x50 SFP that does the same thing but to a lesser degree, and it's far less obvious.

The glass is very clear and bright, dials feel good. Looks practically brand new. I'm pretty pleased with it, but just curious. I'll probably keep it on 4x walking around the woods since the FOV seems better than on 3x.

Thanks in advance.

nobody

WKR
Never owned a 3-9 SWFA, but this is something that's talked about often. Typically goes away at 4x from what I understand, so it's just the nature of the beast.

ChrisAU

WKR
The 3-4x tunneling is frustrating on them. There is literally no reason to have it on 3x vs 4x. Every aspect of the image is worse or the same at 3x than at 4x. Been a couple years since I had one on a rifle, but IIRC the FOV doesn’t change - it’s just a smaller image at 3x than 4x.

That said, I have one on backorder. They are a fantastic value.