SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce 3-10 SHV

Sandstrom

WKR
I had a very stressful problem yesterday, I couldn’t decide what scope to put on my new Tikka T3x lite... My options were a 3-9 SWFA, a Nightforce 3-10 SHV, or a NXS 3-15 F1 (I know, first world problems!) The rifle is a 308 and will be used on an upcoming antelope hunt with a self imposed max range of around 450 yards.

I first eliminated the NXS because I think that will work best on a different rifle that also needs a scope. (300 win mag for a bit more distance)

Now was the tough decision! SWFA vs SHV??? They both have some great features and downfalls. The SWFA is mil and FFP but has no zero stops and exposed windage turret and is not illuminated. The SHV is moa and sfp but has capped turrets and illumination (probably not necessary for antelope)

What would you chose and why??
Thanks
Ryan

PVS

FNG
I ordered an SHV and evaluated it for a few days, returned to get a 2.5-10x42 NXS, my personal opinion is that the SHV quality was as good as the NXS but it lacked illumination and the reticle was same thickness IIRC about 1/4 MOA. The SHV I looked at was a 56mm I think objective and this also made it primarily too big for my purposes. In my opinion if I had SHV money it would be the NF SHV instead of the SWFA, note that I have two SWFA 1-4 classics and they are great scopes for what they are, at that end of the spectrum the little SWFA seems too for the money do everything I want it to do, and the NXS 1-4 is still going to have a little distortion at 1X as it is a true 1X scope. Other than the 1X issue the NF is to me for lack of a better word a bit more refined. I am fixin to try the SWFA 1-4 HD in a few months if all goes well just to get the other reticle.

sndmn11

WKR
You can easily make that SWFA a scope with a zero stop and fixed windage. Some washers under the elevation turret takes care of the zero stop. A wrap of tape half on the bottom of the windage cap, then loosen the three set screws gives you fixed windage.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
You can easily make that SWFA a scope with a zero stop and fixed windage. Some washers under the elevation turret takes care of the zero stop. A wrap of tape half on the bottom of the windage cap, then loosen the three set screws gives you fixed windage.
Good point on the zero stop with washers, I need to do that in one of my other ones. As for the three set screws, my 3-9 SWFA does not have that, it has the single screw in top of. The turret. I suppose the tape would work just fine for the windage.
Ryan

sndmn11

WKR
Good point on the zero stop with washers, I need to do that in one of my other ones. As for the three set screws, my 3-9 SWFA does not have that, it has the single screw in top of. The turret. I suppose the tape would work just fine for the windage.
Ryan
Oh duh, I suppose that is why I have seen the vinyl rubber tubing cap used on those.

WKR
I have a few SWFA 3-9. Slowly changing out to 2.5-10 NXS. The difference in the turret feel is very noticeable to me. The SWFA is fine, it just has a mushy feeling turret. For 450 yards or under, I'd probably use a 6x SWFA and roll on. Nicer turret feel on the fixed powers in my opinion.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Well, I ended up going with the nightforce 3-10 SHV. I took it on my antelope hunt and was very happy with it!!! I ended up with two long shots and it came through with flying colors at 410 and 560 yards! It dialed perfectly for two first round hits!! It was no problem removing the caps and dialing for the two shots. I had it zeroed at 100 and carried it around set for 200 yards. 3CBCF247-3C5F-4615-BED0-B52FE54F2344.jpeg
Ryan

Motown

WKR
Well, I ended up going with the nightforce 3-10 SHV. I took it on my antelope hunt and was very happy with it!!! I ended up with two long shots and it came through with flying colors at 410 and 560 yards! It dialed perfectly for two first round hits!! It was no problem removing the caps and dialing for the two shots. I had it zeroed at 100 and carried it around set for 200 yards. View attachment 452564
Ryan
Digging up a couple month old thread here. Just curious, but is that a T3x lite in a roughtech stock? If so, how much room is there between the barrel and the stock? I was thinking about doing this with a T3X superlite, but was hesitant because of how much of a gap there might be there.

Nice Antelope btw!

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Digging up a couple month old thread here. Just curious, but is that a T3x lite in a roughtech stock? If so, how much room is there between the barrel and the stock? I was thinking about doing this with a T3X superlite, but was hesitant because of how much of a gap there might be there.

Nice Antelope btw!
Sorry it took so long! Yes it is the roughtech stock, it fits fine for me:)E290593C-8E65-4A93-B47C-36735830D2DB.jpegE6C986B5-70F9-4A7F-BD57-CDF7C33ECDC5.jpeg

2698C081-4441-40E9-A9A7-D44351DB02D6.jpeg

Fritz D

FNG
No experience with the SWFA scopes but I sure wish Nightforce would offer a mil-dot reticle in the 2-10X SHV?
I’d buy several of those, at least!