Swarovski ATX/STX Backpacking Question

I have recently gotten a Swarovski ATX with an 85mm objective lens. My plans are to use this while backpacking and packing in with horses. I want to take very good care of my investment. So my question is whether I should pack the scope in the two separate pieces and then put them together while glassing? Or should I put the scope together, and just pack it in my backpack or pannier all put together? I am a little worried that if it is put together while packing in, if something happened, I would hate to have it break at the connection, or something like that.

So I just wanted to see how other people pack in their Swaro ATX or STX to keep them safest.

Thanks for any feedback.

6.5x284

WKR
I always packed mine together in my pack or on a tripod strapped to my pack. I have found spotters are more durable than you think. If you’re worried about a horse falling in it, my guess is it’s going back for service whether it’s together or separate. I think I’d be more worried about dust/debris getting in when putting together and taking apart in the field all the time. Probably some dedicated horse guys on here with input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I leave mine together. Every time it is apart is one more opportunity for debris to get inside. That’s a pretty sturdy joint, I’m more worried about junk inside on the lenses.

OP
B
Thank you both (6x5 284 and Steve O) for your feedback. It makes sense that having the two sections separate would create more opportunity to have dust or debris get on a lens or somewhere it shouldn't. Just wanted to get some real world feedback.

jrfred

FNG
Thank you both (6x5 284 and Steve O) for your feedback. It makes sense that having the two sections separate would create more opportunity to have dust or debris get on a lens or somewhere it shouldn't. Just wanted to get some real world feedback.
The shorter the structure, the less chance for absorbing bending forces, I detach in backpack. They come with pretty good protective caps to keep the dust out when separated.