Swaro Z6i and NX8

I have several NX8’s. Extremely happy with them. I honestly wasn’t at first for about the first year but now I am after a few years.
I’ve yet to own a Z6 Swaro. I’ve played around with one for a bit but never side by side.
I don’t care about weight, magnification, size etc.

Is there any reason to get a Z6i over another NX8? Hypothetically (build/ruggedness) being the same.
Is the Z6 substantially better optically than the NX8 4-32? I have compared my NX8’s to all of my Kahles, S&B, Mark5’s, ATACR and so on. I know where it sits comparatively with those. They both would cost me the exact same amount. Just trying to justify purchasing a Z6i over just getting another NX8.

Please. Only those who own both.
Thanks

SDHNTR

WKR
Hypothetically (build/ruggedness) being the same.
Throw hypothetically out the window, because this is absolutely not the case. The NX8 is typical NF ruggedness. The Swaro is thin walled, and the erector guts are plastic. It’s fragile. Wonderful glass but fragile and unreliable. It’s a big scope by physical size, yet it’s super light. How do you think they do that? It’s not titanium. They cut weight out of components at the cost of durability. Not an acceptable tradeoff, imo.

That said, I was not a fan of the NX8 optically either. Not that the glass was bad, it’s plenty good enough, but it tunneled and the eyebox was too tight for my liking. At least on the 2.5-20. I would still 100% take one over a Z6. I will no longer own scopes that can’t be trusted, no matter how nice the glass is.

Last edited:
OP
P
That said, I was not a fan of the NX8 optically either. Not that the glass was bad, it’s plenty good enough, but it tunneled and the eyebox was too tight for my liking. At least on the 2.5-20. I would still 100% take one over a Z6.
I had a 2.5-20. The difference was night and day between it and the 4-32. 4-32 doesn’t seem to suffer any of what it’s little brother does.

And thanks for the opinion. 🙌

SDHNTR

WKR
I had a 2.5-20. The difference was night and day between it and the 4-32. 4-32 doesn’t seem to suffer any of what it’s little brother does.

And thanks for the opinion. 🙌
I’ve heard that. I need to try a 4-32, but what’s kept me from buying one is I have no need for that second 15+X, especially in a SFP. I don’t understand the need for that much power in a hunting scope. Does more harm than hood imo.

OP
P
I’ve heard that. I need to try a 4-32, but what’s kept me from buying one is I have no need for that second 15+X, especially in a SFP. I don’t understand the need for that much power in a hunting scope. Does more harm than hood imo.
I agree. The only reason I like having that much magnification is a lot of times I can avoid having to carry spotting scope. Mainly in mule deer country when I am in big canyons.

I own a NX8 2.5-20x50 and I've spent considerable time behind a 4-32x50. I agree with the post above that the 4-32 doesn't suffer the same issues as the 2.5-20 but to my eyes it's a non issue. I also have owned a Z6i 3-18x50. The glass is better than the NX8s but there is no comparison between them with regards to an aiming device. If your goal is to have a better observation device on your rifle, get the Swaro. If you want a better aiming device, go with the NX8. I replaced my Z6i with an NX8 and haven't looked back. I prefer a reliable aiming device on my rifle.