Swaro spotter question

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve about decided on the sts 65mm or the 80mm, but which eyepiece? Is the 25x50 wide a better option than the 20x60?

What says the spotter experts?

The field of view seems to be the same in 65 and 80, so I’m leaning towards the 65mm right now. If I’m missing something, let me know.

Thanks guys.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The optical quality of the 25-50 is superior as well as an easier on the eye feeling compared to their 20-60. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing this as well as opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Anyone else with experience of these spotters want to chime in? Would I be better off saving money and going with the stx version over the sts?

The 25-50 is the better eyepiece of the two, I doubt there are many who would argue that. I have a 20-60 and I only use it for sheep/goats, and long range once I've found game in the 30x WA eyepiece. Most of the time my 20-60 sits home.
If money isn't an issue, the STX would be the way to go.

BBob

WKR
Would I be better off saving money and going with the stx version over the sts?
The STX is considerably more $$ than the STS so not sure what you mean by saving $$ with STX over STS. The S series are quite a bit lighter than the X but the X is optically better than the S even with the S and the 25-50. The 25-50 is noticeably better than the 20-60 and even more noticeable in the 65 over the 80. I sold my 20-60’s and have multiple 25-50’s.

Edit: S series HD’s are optically better than the non-HD but it is very subtle. It’s not super obvious at first glance but will be noticeable in the fine details of the image. If you’re simply looking for elk in far away meadows it may not be much of an advantage but if you’re glassing for buried bedded Coues deer or the like it might give you an edge.

Last edited:
OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
The STX is considerably more $$ than the STS so not sure what you mean by saving $$ with STX over STS. The S series are quite a bit lighter than the X but the X is optically better than the S even with the S and the 25-50. The 25-50 is noticeably better than the 20-60 and even more noticeable in the 65 over the 80. I sold my 20-60’s and have multiple 25-50’s.

Edit: S series HD’s are optically better than the non-HD but it is very subtle. It’s not super obvious at first glance but will be noticeable in the fine details of the image. If you’re simply looking for elk in far away meadows it may not be much of an advantage but if you’re glassing for buried bedded Coues deer or the like it might give you an edge.

Sorry, I meant saving up more money to get the x series.

I’ll be using it for spotting mule deer and antelope size up and at the range. I’m looking for something better than my slc 10x42 binos at longer range viewing.

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else with experience of these spotters want to chime in? Would I be better off saving money and going with the stx version over the sts?
100% save a few extra pennis and go with the STX. In fact.... save a few more on top of that and look at the bigger objective scopes.... I now pack the 95 FOR.EVERYTHING.
Think of it a a long time investment, yes the 65 is "cheaper" and may be more quickly acquired with less$$$.... but dont cheat yourself.... buy once cry once!
Good luck amigo!

TEWONG

FNG
100% save a few extra pennis and go with the STX. In fact.... save a few more on top of that and look at the bigger objective scopes.... I now pack the 95 FOR.EVERYTHING.
Think of it a a long time investment, yes the 65 is "cheaper" and may be more quickly acquired with less$$$.... but dont cheat yourself.... buy once cry once!
Good luck amigo!
Agree with this regarding objective size. As a 65mm ATX owner, I recently rented a 95mm objective from rentoutdoorgear.com for a mule deer hunt. Will probably be selling the 65mm...

Last edited:
I've owned all of them and currently have an ATX 65/95 combo

What is your main goal, legal buck? Know he's a 4-point? Spot the difference between a 170 and 185 buck at 2 miles? Are you weight conscious? Is money an issue?

A lot of questions to decide on what would be best for you.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've owned all of them and currently have an ATX 65/95 combo

What is your main goal, legal buck? Know he's a 4-point? Spot the difference between a 170 and 185 buck at 2 miles? Are you weight conscious? Is money an issue?

A lot of questions to decide on what would be best for you.

Just spotting deer at distance and sizing up antelope bucks and looking at holes in paper at the range.