Swaro 15x56 SLC vs Swaro NL Pure 12x42

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
Hello I am looking for individuals input who have been in the field or have compared these 2 pair of bino's will, main objective for upgrade is to be able to glass during low light conditions past 0.5-1 mile.
I have a spotter already but i get tired with one eye. My current 10x42 El swaro's are not cutting it for these greater distance's.

Sako300

WKR
I’ve owned and hunted with all the alpha 15’s and 12x50s.
I believe the 12x42 NLs which I currently own and use, with size and weight on a tripod and FOV at low light conditions and your glassing range is as good as it gets.
Now if you are only hunting Coues, I think there could be an argument.

6.5x284

WKR
I kept both for a year and ended up selling the 15 SLCs. The clarity of the 12 NL made up for the few power difference. I will say the 15 SLC probably give you an extra 2-3 min to glass however. I picked up solo deer and sheep over a mile away. Elk feels like you’re cheating. I’d go 12x NL. Off a tripod of course. People keep saying they can hand hold the 12X just fine or better than other 10’s and they are absolutely passing over animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NL 12’s for sure. I finally got to spend some real time with them. I sold my 15x56’s last year. While Im not able to compare them in the same setting, there’s no doubt for me the 12’s. Im sure that’s why there are so many 15x56’s for sale on all the sites. Glad I was able to off load them when I did. Tuff to sell now with the 12’s being what they are I’m sure.

OP
R

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha primary purpose for upgrade would be high country mule deer in open land, Desert muley. Elk/ Antelope I have not gotten into sheep. One day i hope still living on a budget these days.
I do not hunt coues deer at the moment but would like the flexibility .

I have both and have run both side by side a lot. The 12x NL are definitely more versatile and their lighter weight is a joy in the pack.

I’m not a magnification whore and often run 8x binos and my riflescopes get turned down to 14-16x instead of their full 24x.

However, the 15X SLC still come out on top for me at long range glassing. The 15x provides an image that’s a little easier to get behind and the larger image from the 15x can make it a little easier to see what you’re looking at. Multiple people who’ve looked at them side by side agree that the extra magnification really does help.

All that being said; the lighter weight of the 12x, the larger FOV, and the stunning image quality keep me running the 12x more often than the 15x.

On a tighter budget don’t be afraid to pick up a used pair of 15x Vortex Kaibabs. They are great binos that can often be picked up for $800.

I had the SLC 15's in the past as well as EL 12's and spent about 20 minutes with the NL 12x42's outside of a store last weekend. I too have been in the market for another pair of high mag binos and what I saw with the NL's made my decision clear and my new NL 12's will be delivered tomorrow from Euro Optic.

I have both right now. Just can’t bring myself to sell the 15s, and my wife uses them when we’re glassing together.

12s are more versatile and do give a nice edge over the 10s. They are truly exceptional. However the extra 3x absolutely does make a difference at distance. Multiple times this year my wife pointed out deer that I had missed with the 12s. Once she told me where they were I saw them easily..but something about that extra magnification does just make it easier to see a deer beyond 1 mile or in thicker stuff.

JakeSCH

WKR
I had both the last two seasons and just sold my 15's last week. The improved resolution in 12x made up difference of 15x under 2000y. Most of my local deer hunting glassing out to about 2000y in desert country and I never felt that I was missing out.

I do bring a 553 with me on a few hunts and really liked that combo with the NL 12x.

In addition, the weight savings make a huge difference on windy days with my 634. The 12's had little to no vibration where the 15x was not very usable.

Forgetting every other attribute, only considering low light, how's the 12x50 EL compare to the 12x42 NL?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Forgetting every other attribute, only considering low light, how's the 12x50 EL compare to the 12x42 NL?
When I ran them side by side the el was better the last 10-15 mins of light. I went with the el for that reason alone. I tried them on several different occasions and felt they edged out the nl at Dawn and dusk.

When I ran them side by side the el was better the last 10-15 mins of light. I went with the el for that reason alone. I tried them on several different occasions and felt they edged out the nl at Dawn and dusk.
I’d agree with this. That was the only drawback to the NLs. I definitely felt like the NL’s were a few minutes behind the EL’s in low light. And it was noticeable. But I feel the NL’s make up for it elsewhere.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I did this test on cattle I could make them out an extra 4ish minutes with the ELs. The distance was 1100 to 1800 yards.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hello I am looking for individuals input who have been in the field or have compared these 2 pair of bino's will, main objective for upgrade is to be able to glass during low light conditions past 0.5-1 mile.
I have a spotter already but i get tired with one eye. My current 10x42 El swaro's are not cutting it for these greater distance's.
In my comparison I would take the 12NLs. I don’t really see an advantage until you jump to 18X binoculars over the 12X

I got my NL 12x42’s today. Previously I’ve owned EL10x42, EL12x50, EL Range 10x42, and SLC 15x56.

I spent 4-5hr glassing mountains with them this afternoon and evening and I’m blown away by them and I haven’t even put them on a tripod yet. The ergonomics, FOV, and 6 position eye cups are all amazing upgrades coming from EL’s. I love EL’s and there’s zero difference in the resolution or color between them but the enhancements to the NL’s are welcoming. I didn’t think I’d be able to free hand them like I can either.

My take away is unless you’re spotting PRS all the time and they’re living on a tripod I don’t think there’s any benefit to the SLC 15. For outdoor/nature/hunting the NL 12’s are undoubtedly the king and they’re very light and compact for a 12x. They’re slightly smaller in every dimension than my EL8.5x42.

I can’t wait for my outdoorsman stud and tripod adaptor to get here.

Attachments

• D8523B4D-89C3-4BF7-A0B1-970A44A749B8.jpeg
    D8523B4D-89C3-4BF7-A0B1-970A44A749B8.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman