Surprisingly, rain gear exceeded expectations

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I got caught in a significant downpour in Italian Alps yesterday. Went from warm and pleasant to a significant storm within 20 minutes; high winds, driving rains, several inches dumped in an hour plus hail. I had a 5 year old LLBean packable rain jacket (2 layer, breathable, waterproof membrane and seem sealed construction) while wife had the Marmot Precip. Just some cheap, light and easily packed jackets.

I was surprised. But both kept us dry despite the wind, volume of rain and the hail. I was surprised. Especially for price and length of time that each has lived in a bag and just been forgotten about. Shoes and pants were soaked (still wet today) but upper body was dry.

Just figured for someone looking for relatively inexpensive rain gear that will keep you dry, these were better than expected.

Mcharb007

FNG
How’s the breathability? I wouldn’t mind picking up a decent, cheap rain jacket to keep in my truck.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I sweat a lot. Especially when hiking in altitude. I sweated in this set yesterday and many times before. That said, it breathes well. It’s 2.5 layers not 3 and seems to do a decent job of evaporating vapor. I get a little damp on my forearms. But that is it. Better than I expected based on price.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I usually use Patagonia with 3L goretex pro or Kryptek Koldo. But I’ve had or have in the closet sets from Marmot, Mammut, North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Kryptek, Sitka and others. This LLBean and the Marmot Precip are not as durable but they were surprisingly good.

Last edited:

Katoom27

FNG
I absolutely hate rain gear. I sweat so much with it it’s almost like I didn’t have any on at all. Glad you found something you like.