Suppressor thread pitch

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
There is a separate thread going right now about choosing a hunting suppressor that I don't want to hijack with this question so I thought I would start this one. I currently have an 5.56 AR15 with a 1/2 x 28 thread pitch also a 6.5CM bolt with a #1 contour barrel which also has a 1/2x28 thread pitch. I am going to buy another 6.5CM bolt gun for my daughter and the options I am considering have either a 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 threaded barrel. It's not in the budget right now to buy multiple suppressors so I will move it between the AR15 and one or both of bolt guns. And I do realize that all guns will need to be sighted in for any POI change with suppressor.

My questions:
1) What is the best thread pitch to order with a suppressor that is going to be used if moving the suppressor between different rifles that have different thread pitches? Or does it really matter that much?

2. Are there 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapters for going both ways or it only feasible to convert the suppressor fit in one direction?

There are adapters to take the threads from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24. Additionally, certain suppressors, such as the SilencerCo Harvester and Omega, or the Dead Air Nomad, come with mounts for both thread pitches.
Other suppressors that are quick detach have muzzle devices that have both thread pitches.

Thread pitch is going to vary based on barrel profile. If you already have 2 other platforms threaded 1/2x28 then it’s a no brainer to get the 3rd one threaded the same.

While there are thread adapters available it’s extremely important that threads be concentric to the bore. That’s hard enough with factory threaded barrels and with adding additional threaded components, tolerance stacking can become an issue. I advise against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
ceejay

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the above responses. It definitely makes sense to avoid using an adapter since it introduces another variable. I'll focus on suppressors that have fixed mount direct thread compatibility to the rifles that I have and avoid having to add an adapter between the barrel and the suppressor.

I think maybe you misunderstood or maybe I am. But the adapters give you great flexibility to move between guns. The adapters would make it simple to move a 30 cal can between the guns you mentioned. Also many company's cans will work with other manufactures adapters such as Silencerco and YHM and a couple other will all interchange certain muzzle devices. Another thread on here showed one guy with cherry bombs muzzle devices on all his guns for one can but those are specific to that one manufacture. Its much cheaper to buy a couple of 80 dollar muzzle brakes than 3 more cans.

OP
ceejay

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I think maybe you misunderstood or maybe I am. But the adapters give you great flexibility to move between guns. The adapters would make it simple to move a 30 cal can between the guns you mentioned. Also many company's cans will work with other manufactures adapters such as Silencerco and YHM and a couple other will all interchange certain muzzle devices. Another thread on here showed one guy with cherry bombs muzzle devices on all his guns for one can but those are specific to that one manufacture. Its much cheaper to buy a couple of 80 dollar muzzle brakes than 3 more cans.

My understand of it is that although adapters give you get flexibility to move between guns (which is a great option if you need it), anytime you use an adapter it adds an extra set of threads to ones on the barrel and suppressor which ups the overall cumulative tolerance variance, i.e., "tolerance stacking". When comparing suppressor options, those with attachment thread pitches that match the barrel for direct thread attachment have a comparative advantage.

For the record, I decided to start the process for a SilencerCo Evo Harvester. It comes with both 5/8x24 and 1/2x28 direct thread mounts.