Suppressed Hunting for Kids

I have a CGS Hyperion in jail currently and was looking at building a system that I can teach my children on going forward. Living in the south the primary game would be deer, hogs and coyotes, but I have dreams of bringing them out west for deer and elk. My main goal would be to tame sound ( which Hyperion does well for the cartridges below) and recoil (300 wm?)so they develop a good foundation.

Here are my questions:
1. Which cartridge between a .308 or .300wm, taking into account sound, recoil and potentially hunting elk (concerns a .308 isn’t up to the task)

2. Recommendations on rifles, I’ve been pretty smitten on a Bergara Mglite (or like chassis rifles) but the cost is concerning but the ability to customize is intriguing . Is it worth going with an Mglite ( or that style) or would it be better to go with a traditional style like a browning hells canyon?

Thanks
Rick

sram9102

WKR
I would get a smaller cartridge for the kiddos to use. My kiddos not quite ready to get behind a rifle yet. Probably going to start with the 300 BO ar when he is ready for a centerfire round. Chassis systems work well for introducing kids to shooting. Most have ways to add significant amounts of weight.
There is a thread here with 100s of big game animals succumbing to .223s. Don't over think needing a big cartridge.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Get a suppressed 22. If you’re already waiting for your Hyperion k, you might as well also be waiting for a mask22 or a takedown22. Get a kick ass cz with the manners stock and send it.

Buy one of these (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/951904416) (I have no idea who this seller is, just using this auction as a reference), have the barrel threaded and use it forever with that suppressor.

I will add that you should start you kids with this rifle AND the suppressor, or as suggested go with a .22LR or .223 to start them out and then move them up once the suppressor shows up.

OP
C
Thanks for the recommendations, I definitely plan to put the suppressor on what ever rifle I get them. I do plan to have them shoot a 300 blk with the suppressor.

For those that referenced a 7-08 or 6mm, what advantages are there to this rifle (for shooting fundamentals) as opposed to shooting 308 subs?

Thanks again for the responses

Rick

Northpark

WKR
Do you handload? If would highly recommend the 7-08. I handload and have reduced recoil loads with some 113gr bullets at 2815fps which have similar recoils to a .243 Winchester and I have full power elk killing loads driving 140gr bullets at 3003fps. Mine is an Ackley Improved 7-08 but knock 100fps off both those loads and you’re still good to go. I do shoot suppresses as well. Also a 5.56 AR is a good starter platform as well as .22lr and suppressed subsonic .300blk is crazy fun. I have a single shot .300blk that I put hand loaded 110gr subsonics in with the suppressor and it’s my 7 year olds favorite gun.

300 blackout has a reputation for being really dirty, not sure i'd want to shoot that extensively in a can like the hyperion that can't be disassembled for easy cleaning.

I have a tikka 223 that is getting cut to 16" on thursday. Once my can is in-hand, that 223 with 77 tmks will be the primary kid training/hunting weapon. I'll have zero concerns about using that for anything in north america with appropriate range limitations. Another member on here does something really similar with 6.5 grendel if you can't wrap your mind around 22 cal for big game.

Right now the kids are working on the basics with a suppressed 22 cricket and subsonic ammo, which they absolutely love. It's a meh gun, but the love aspect is super important. I had a few cousins with less hunting/shooting passion than my brother and I, they got whacked hard a couple of times growing up by 20 ga single shots and never really latched onto the shooting sport hobbies.

My kids won't touch magnums until they're full grown, if ever. the modern fragmenting bullets make such devastating wounds there really is no need to deal with the recoil, concusion or cost of even a long action caliber, much less a magnum, at my typical hunting ranges.

I think the Sig Cross is a good option in either a 6.5CM or 308 especially if you are going to put a full size suppressor on it. I had one for a while to test out and while I parted with it for my use, I wont hesitate to get another one down the road for my kids. If they get tired carrying it, its small enough to fold and stuff inside your pack.

sram9102

WKR
I plan on somewhat tricking my kiddo once he says he is ready to actually shoot at any deer at distances further than the 300 bo is good for. I have a switchlug tikka and will get him used to shooting the 223 barrel first then switch it to the 6.5 creed when we actually go hunting. Don't think he will notice the 2 inch longer barrel and different can. I wish we could hunt with 223 here.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
My 12 y/o son has killed two bucks this year with a suppressed 18" 308, Nomad Ti. He feels that this recoils less than the 6.5 G bolt action he'd hunted with the past 3 years. I don't think that I'd hesitate on anything in NA with that combo and the right bullet.

I agree with the suppressed 22, a lot of fun for everyone. I have a couple DA Masks that get used a lot.

was the 6.5 g suppressed, or does it just have a terrible stock design? Newton's third law prevents the heavier, faster bullet option from having less recoil in an identical set up

WKR
Thanks for the recommendations, I definitely plan to put the suppressor on what ever rifle I get them. I do plan to have them shoot a 300 blk with the suppressor.

For those that referenced a 7-08 or 6mm, what advantages are there to this rifle (for shooting fundamentals) as opposed to shooting 308 subs?

Thanks again for the responses

Rick
Rick, Probably none. My daughter used a suppressed 30-06, short barrel at 18" shooting 155 scenars at 2775-2800 to kill her bull at 400 yards. Have them practice with 308 subs and then shoot some 155 scenars or similar on game. She shot that load that summer a lot and enjoyed it thanks to the suppressor. Good luck to you.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5G is a lightweight 20" barrel Howa, shooting 120 Fusions, no brake/suppressor. The suppressor does reduce recoil on the 308, someone more knowledgeable than I am can guess how much. The 308 is a Barrett 18", so it's quite light also. He's very comfortable shooting it. The sound signature is more akin to a 22 mag rimfire, that may also reduce perception of a painful shot.

My 12 y/o son has killed two bucks this year with a suppressed 18" 308, Nomad Ti. He feels that this recoils less than the 6.5 G bolt action he'd hunted with the past 3 years. I don't think that I'd hesitate on anything in NA with that combo and the right bullet.

I agree with the suppressed 22, a lot of fun for everyone. I have a couple DA Masks that get used a lot.

Kids often equate muzzle blast with recoil. My nephew wouldn’t shoot my AR because it “kicked too much”, but he had no hesitation getting behind my suppressed 308 Encore. The Encore still had more recoil than the AR but because it has very little muzzle blast as compared to the AR with the flash hider, he didn‘t notice it.

6.8spc, Grendel, 350L. In that order, I have shot animals with all 3 suppressed. Honestly with the amount of felt recoil that the suppressor takes away, I would go with a youth friendly caliber in a bolt gun. The AR can have a few too many moving parts for a kid to safely operate in a blind.

For example, my son started hunting with an AR in 25-45 Sharps at 9 years old. One hunt, he was trying to be quiet when he loaded his gun and he didn't pull the charging handle all the way back which kept the bolt from closing all the way. The bolt looked to be closed but the lugs didn't lock up and the case hadn't seated against the bolt face. Sure enough, a nice cull buck walks out at about fifty and the gun went click when he pulled the trigger. Needless to say, there is no quiet way to cycle an AR in a deer blind and everything ran off. With a bolt gun this would have never happened, and if it did you can cycle a bolt without making a bunch of racket.

My son is 11 now and shoots a 7mm-08. My 12 y/o daughter shoots a suppressed 308.