Suggestions or thoughts???

Ive been shooting a regular "index finger release" but recently have had the idea of going to a thumb release...

I realize its probably not smart to switch right at beginning of season but should I buy one to just practice? what do yall recommend?

Also what brands for a new thumb release archer do you recommend?

Scrappy

WKR
I've never heard of anyone trying a thumb release and going back to an index release. After just a few shooting sessions you will be ready to make the switch for good. I have a spott hog now but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Carter.

OP
J
I've never heard of anyone trying a thumb release and going back to an index release. After just a few shooting sessions you will be ready to make the switch for good. I have a spott hog now but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Carter.
what do you suggest I guess brand/model to try out? I dont want to spend 300$ on one and not like it

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I went from index to thumb, then to a hinge. Each made my shooting progressively better. You are on the right path. My first thumb release was a scott. There are many good brands though. I'd recommend one that you can clip on your loop instead of a hook style just for ease of use when the moment of truth arrives.

Scrappy

WKR
I have no idea on which release, every thread about them everyone always recommends Carter. I know my spott hog whipper snapper is a great release for target but it sucks as a hunting release. Due to it being so touchy. The slightest debris will foul it.

MattB

WKR
The search function will give you a ton of ideas as this is a common topic.

If you're open to buying secondhand, check out the classifieds at ArcheryTalk and the "Archery releases for sale and trade" group on Facebook. I recently switched from index to thumb and picked up two Carters (Ember and Whisper) on AT for under $100 each. There are lots of good options out there; the decision is largely a matter of personal preference on things like jaw/hook design and finger count.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tried a handheld release and went back to my index release. I wasn’t near as accurate with it as I am with an index.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I was in the same boat. Looked at the classifieds, but settled on a B3 Exit Pro. Has some adjustments for feel in your hand, but also has travel and tension adjustments which was the big thing for me. I expected to upgrade if I liked the handheld style, but I’m still shooting that release and still love it. Cheaper than lots of others, still very good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a thumb release all summer. Switched back to index to practice this last month, before hunting. The thumb release helped with accuracy when switching back.

b3 carter stan are good options. i would buy used so if you dont like it you can sell and get just about all your money back. if you can buy a couple to try even better as its kinda personal. im partial to stan as i like the adjustable thumb.

Venom One

WKR
Lots of good options out there - Carter, TRU Ball, Scott, Stan

Agree with Binz17 - get one you can clip onto your D-loop for hunting. If you're a tree stand guy, clip it on once you get into the tree. If you're a ground hunter, clip it on in those closing seconds/minutes. Letting it hang there while you range, reposition, clear a shooting lane, etc is a really nice option.

A hinge-style only has a hook so you have to hold it all the time. If you need to range one last time, you'll have to hold the release while trying to grab your range finder without banging them together or dropping the release. A hinge does improve your shooting though so it's great for practice.

Marble

WKR
My .02. If you really want to shoot a thumb r well, get a hinge and learn it. After you learn the hinge you'll be able to shoot a thumb like a hinge, but still have the ability to punch it if needed.

Then during off season you can go back and forth. The GOAT by Truball is both a thumb and a hinge. It's an option.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
If you're open to buying secondhand, check out the classifieds at ArcheryTalk and the "Archery releases for sale and trade" group on Facebook. I recently switched from index to thumb and picked up two Carters (Ember and Whisper) on AT for under $100 each. There are lots of good options out there; the decision is largely a matter of personal preference on things like jaw/hook design and finger count.
And also Ebay. I've purchased three releases from there. About half price of new.

Marble

WKR
Lots of good options out there - Carter, TRU Ball, Scott, Stan

Agree with Binz17 - get one you can clip onto your D-loop for hunting. If you're a tree stand guy, clip it on once you get into the tree. If you're a ground hunter, clip it on in those closing seconds/minutes. Letting it hang there while you range, reposition, clear a shooting lane, etc is a really nice option.

A hinge-style only has a hook so you have to hold it all the time. If you need to range one last time, you'll have to hold the release while trying to grab your range finder without banging them together or dropping the release. A hinge does improve your shooting though so it's great for practice.

This is good advice. My first couple seasons with a thumb I shot one with a hook. Itwas a PITA. This year I hunted with the Truball Blade Pro . It comes with a lanyard and attaches to the D loop too. Very adjustable and easy to use.

I went from an index trigger, tried a thumb then back to the index. One day on a whim I bought a hinge and Ill never go back to anything else, even for hunting. Just felt natural to me.

JjamesIII

WKR
It’s not guaranteed to make you shoot better, just as a hinge won’t necessarily be progressively better than a thumb button. Personally, I practice with both for years and I have found more consistent results with a trigger. Just shoot it almost like a back tension- not like a rifle trigger. A few guys on the pro tours actually are self proclaimed “punchers”, whom intentionally shoot it that way (not for me).
Try it, see what you like. Don’t just force it because the cool kids are doing it. I like the Nock 2 it from Dudley. It’s made by Carter to his specs. A good release.

morphetm

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a index to a thumb a few years ago and it did improve my accuracy. I also liked the ability to hang it on my D loop while it is hanging in the tree. I was always banging the index into things.
I started wtih a TruFire Edge 4 finger but recently switched to a Stan Sx3 for more adjustability. I always try to carry a back up in my pack just in case since it is not strapped to me. I have a Trufire Edge I need to list in the classifieds and will have a second one to list when I can find it (see note above) lol.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't notice anyone mentioning this here but when I switched from index to thumb my peep height changed quite a bit because of the different anchor point. You mentioned maybe getting one just to practice with which was my original plan but then realized it was all or nothing because of the changed I had to make to the bow.

Didn't notice anyone mentioning this here but when I switched from index to thumb my peep height changed quite a bit because of the different anchor point. You mentioned maybe getting one just to practice with which was my original plan but then realized it was all or nothing because of the changed I had to make to the bow.
I got a bit lucky. Didn't have to change my peep. Point of impact may change switching back and forth so you have to be a bit careful of that. Mine are close enough that I don't have to change anything. I use my index release for hunting but keep the thumb in my pack as a backup.