Suggestions on New Pack Saddle

WyoHuntr

FNG
I'm in the process of finding a new pack saddle. Since it's a world of boutique shops, I figured I should ask around. (In addition to my own Google research). I'm looking for a sawbuck or hybrid, not into straight up deckers. Definitely looking into an adjustable tree, since my animals tend to vary in size (especially since I'll be adding an unknown animal this spring/summer).

Any brand/shop suggestions???

20220910_200259.jpg

I would definitely look at the Formfitter by Outfitters Pack Station. Give Wade a call, he's great to talk to. It can be used like a sawbuck or decker and fits all different types of stock. He is backlogged a bit from supply chain issues for the bases but well worth the wait.

Attachments

• Resized_20230407_150531.jpeg
    Resized_20230407_150531.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 31

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Adjustable bars limits you to the Formfitter and custom pack rigging in British Columbia. Wade at outfitters pack station builds quality pack gear.

OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG
I would definitely look at the Formfitter by Outfitters Pack Station. Give Wade a call, he's great to talk to. It can be used like a sawbuck or decker and fits all different types of stock. He is backlogged a bit from supply chain issues for the bases but well worth the wait.
That's a neat design! (And im definitely using a hlaf breed on my new one). Do you like that style for looping standard panyards over, or is it a bit tough to do?

OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG
Adjustable bars limits you to the Formfitter and custom pack rigging in British Columbia. Wade at outfitters pack station builds quality pack gear.
I was exploring that Custom Pack Rigging site... and it looked a bit out of date! Guess I'll have to see if they still exist, lol. They have the exact tree I had in mind, though (the scisorring sawbuck). I could have swore OutfitterSupply sold one a while back, but that is definitely not the case, now!

Someday I will own a formfitter. They are quite a ways out currently.
There is a custom pack rigging at a used shop locally I have been eyeing. Right now I have 2 deckers from a local guy that I am test fitting. Liking one stamped usfs 1937. It is fitting 3 different horses that are all built different and have different shaped bar riding saddles.
This usfs bar angle just seems really universal

That's a neat design! (And im definitely using a hlaf breed on my new one). Do you like that style for looping standard panyards over, or is it a bit tough to do?
It works fantastic and have had no issues with sore spots. The sweat marks are perfect with no dry spots as well. I run it like a sawbuck with panniers and have had no issue, very easy to hook/unhook. I use it on my mules and my mustangs interchangeably with no problems.

Attachments

• 20220717_191817.jpg
    20220717_191817.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220717_203249.jpg
    20220717_203249.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220911_120116.jpg
    20220911_120116.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 32

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I was exploring that Custom Pack Rigging site... and it looked a bit out of date! Guess I'll have to see if they still exist, lol. They have the exact tree I had in mind, though (the scisorring sawbuck). I could have swore OutfitterSupply sold one a while back, but that is definitely not the case, now!
There still in business I have been in touch with them in the past couple months.