Suggestions for bino/rangefinder harness

mtsrunner

FNG
So, I have long been guilty of not carrying my binos and rangefinder because I mainly hunt the wooded mountains of NC and TN.

Last night changed my mind. I had my binos with me and with 5 minutes of light left I glassed a 9 point that could never would have seen without them. Made the shot with about two minutes of legal light left.

So... I’m guess I’m a bino guy for life now., but definitely want a harness or I will end up justifying not carrying them.

My preliminary search has me looking at the Marsupial brand.

My binos are 1992 model Swaro SLC 8x30 and I won’t change those (dad got them for me for college graduation).

Last night’s buck:
2e0f42150ea04c7507ce5df6196161ca.jpg

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
There are many out there. Would need to know what you are looking for in them. Based off of the brand you listed seems like you would want one that folds down. If that is true, i would look at the Marsupial (like you said), Kuiu, Adak, Muley Freak, and Stone Glaciers bino harnesses. All fold down. Each have different things about them. See what you would want in a harness and compare them all. Stone Glaciers maybe best for your bino size.

I've been running an alaska guide creations harness. I love it but haven't tried anything else. I can carry binos, range finder, wind checker, havalon, tags, extra blades, lighter, small flash light and a couple extra rounds all on my chest and it never bothers me or gets in the way. I love it. They are worth a look. No clips or velcro either so they are silent to open and close.

FHF is more minimalist, more compact against your body, uses shock cord for closure and lid opens toward you. I find that the lid will tuck under my chin/beard if I need it to stay open, otherwise itll flap closed. Its never been a big deal for me, but some might not like that.

Marsupial is a work of art. More refined looking harness. Enclosed version gives full coverage of binos. Uses magnets for closure which could affect gps/compass. Also sits close to your chest, not quite as low profile as the FHF, but works. Lid opens away from you and stays open.

AGC, I wasnt a fan really in any way. Its well made and might have the most comfortable harness. But its Bulky, doesnt have a low profile, rides low and the lid is like the top of a file box big. Some people prefer it riding low, and if thats the case its an option.

The Marsupial and FHF are close. If I had to compare them to packs, the FHF would be exo minimalist, while the Marsupial would be Kifaru overbuilt, attention to detail. I bought a Marsupial enclosed, just preferred the FHF. I like my harness to be minimal but functional. I also like my binos to fit without a lot of room so its easier to grab them with one hand while bowhunting. With 42's the FHF small is really easy to grab em - you could maybe run 50s in the FHF small, but 42s are really about as big as you want to go. The marsupial has more room in the small.

With 30s though, if you could find a Compact FHF that might be the best fit - its slightly smaller than the small. They dont make those anymore and I just sold one last week. Youd have to find it on the reseller market though. Otherwise between Marsupial and FHF, I dont think you can really go wrong.

Nate Abe

FNG
Haven’t tried the others mentioned here but I’ve been very happy with the Kuiu bino harness. I like that the range finder pocket attaches below the binoculars, it makes it easy to get to but for me it’s more comfortable than having it on the side of the harness.

Squirrels

WKR
I have had an AGC Hybrid and an OV Ridgettop. Much prefer the more streamlined, forward folding, quiet material of the OV. The SG Skyline I ordered should be here tomorrow to compare.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the Marsupial but the magnets possibly affecting navigation tools is what keeps me away. For those of you that have Marsupial, is it an issue you’ve experienced?

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the Marsupial but the magnets possibly affecting navigation tools is what keeps me away. For those of you that have Marsupial, is it an issue you’ve experienced?

I have no experience with it but I have seen multiple reports saying keep your nav tools 10 inches away and i have seen all the way out to 2 ft.

Squirrels

WKR
The new SG Skyline has no magnets

Pettit877

FNG

Yes I have. I’m the last person in the world not running ONX off there phone. I still run a Garmin handheld gps. The Marsupial definitely messes with my gps, and has caused me to walk a lot further than necessary a few times. I just switched and I received my new SG harness and have only had a few hunts with it but I really like it. No magnets, light and can be adjusted to the size of my binos

Eric

Had the alaska guide, was to bulky for my setup, went this year with FHF. Really like the FHF minimalist approach. I have my 10x42 SLC and they fit like a glove. I also added a Razco kydex holster that is designed to work perfectly with FHF when I want to carry my .40 S&W. With the FHF you can customize to your system needs. IMG_6638.jpg

Brendan

WKR
Yes, absolutely. Plays hell with a compass and is constantly throwing the magnetic compass in my phone out of calibration. I love the Marsupial otherwise, will probably try Stone Glacier, or ultimately will end up back with AGC.