Suggestions for a TAW app

wayoh22

WKR
A goal of mine this year was to build a web app of some sorts. In the past 2 months I feel I've seen many people asking about arrow weights and what not so my idea to start is to build a Total Arrow Weight "Calculator". After seeing @Mighty Mouse spread sheet for arrow shafts with all their specs I'm starting to research what I'll need to actually build such a thing and how to gather all the components and what not. My question to all the kind folks here:

What would you like to see in something like that? My initial thoughts are something along the lines of being able to save arrow builds, compare the builds, share...etc

Thoughts?

It doesn't seem to be a half bad idea. Though gold tip has the Arrow Weight and FOC calculator on their website which is really nice. But you can't save arrow builds on their website so your app would have something that their website doesn't.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
It doesn't seem to be a half bad idea. Though gold tip has the Arrow Weight and FOC calculator on their website which is really nice. But you can't save arrow builds on their website so your app would have something that their website doesn't.
The difference between that and what I envision creating is having all shafts and components cataloged so you would just choose from a drop down

KyleR1985

WKR
Juice isn't worth the squeeze in my opinion. The time/effort to gather all the data needed, and then set up the base to be user friendly, is enormous. And it would require significant continued labor.

For a user of this product/service/tool, It would take you a half hour to an hour to learn how to use it the first time. This is about the same time it takes to just add up the weight of each component/build you're considering on a notebook for a comparison.

What are you going to pay for something you'd use very little? Let's say you're willing to pay 50.00 for this tool thinking you'll use it 5 times in the next ten years. I wouldn't pay more than that.

You're probably looking at a full year's worth of full time work gathering data, developing database, app or website, and all the costs associated with that. Then you're looking at probably 2-300 hours a year over the next decade keeping up with any changing component information. 4000 hours. Let's say you think your time is worth 100.00 for "work". Plug any number in you like. But you're looking at 400k. Add another 100k for other costs associated with making this user friendly enough for people to pay you for it. 500k*1.25 for taxes. 625k.

You think you'll convince 12,500 people to give you 50.00 to "break even" ?

If you're just considering knocking something around for personal use or helping friends - again, it takes 10 minutes to work up a build going to each individual component website. And I can't speak for everyone - but in my experience and that of close friends - once you've gone through the process a handful of times, you have little interest in doing it again for "fun". You usually develop a background level of knowledge on the topic you're not having to put numbers on paper anymore.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Juice isn't worth the squeeze in my opinion. The time/effort to gather all the data needed, and then set up the base to be user friendly, is enormous. And it would require significant continued labor.

For a user of this product/service/tool, It would take you a half hour to an hour to learn how to use it the first time. This is about the same time it takes to just add up the weight of each component/build you're considering on a notebook for a comparison.

What are you going to pay for something you'd use very little? Let's say you're willing to pay 50.00 for this tool thinking you'll use it 5 times in the next ten years. I wouldn't pay more than that.

You're probably looking at a full year's worth of full time work gathering data, developing database, app or website, and all the costs associated with that. Then you're looking at probably 2-300 hours a year over the next decade keeping up with any changing component information. 4000 hours. Let's say you think your time is worth 100.00 for "work". Plug any number in you like. But you're looking at 400k. Add another 100k for other costs associated with making this user friendly enough for people to pay you for it. 500k*1.25 for taxes. 625k.

You think you'll convince 12,500 people to give you 50.00 to "break even" ?

If you're just considering knocking something around for personal use or helping friends - again, it takes 10 minutes to work up a build going to each individual component website. And I can't speak for everyone - but in my experience and that of close friends - once you've gone through the process a handful of times, you have little interest in doing it again for "fun". You usually develop a background level of knowledge on the topic you're not having to put numbers on paper anymore.
Agreed - this was more of just something to create/learn from that maybe some people would like to use. Never even considered the monetary stuff. I honestly think you put more time into a response than I did thinking this long term! Appreciate the response though, very well thought out

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
A goal of mine this year was to build a web app of some sorts. In the past 2 months I feel I've seen many people asking about arrow weights and what not so my idea to start is to build a Total Arrow Weight "Calculator". After seeing @Mighty Mouse spread sheet for arrow shafts with all their specs I'm starting to research what I'll need to actually build such a thing and how to gather all the components and what not. My question to all the kind folks here:

What would you like to see in something like that? My initial thoughts are something along the lines of being able to save arrow builds, compare the builds, share...etc

Thoughts?
good luck competing with the Pinwheel app - it has a huge arrow library with most of the arrows of most manufactures, gives you TAW, the recommended dynamic spine, momentum, KE ....easy to use, all for little $$

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
good luck competing with the Pinwheel app - it has a huge arrow library with most of the arrows of most manufactures, gives you TAW, the recommended dynamic spine, momentum, KE ....easy to use, all for little $$
Aagin, not interested in monetary value, competing with anyone or anything like that. Just something to do and learn from. Thanks for the response.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just look at different arrows I may want to try and add it all up as far as weight goes. Even if there was a database, I'd still do my own calculations.

RC_

FNG
Archers Advantage has pretty much everything you could want IMO for $12/year, which is really nothing. You can build and spec pretty much any combo of shafts and components, there’s the spine selector, you can generate accurate sight tapes, print targets and more. Not the most intuitive and using on mobile can be a pain but still easy to use and I think worth it.

For shooting there are so many great apps with libraries of factory ammo, bullets etc. To be honest I shoot a lot more archery but goof with things a lot less. With rifles I'm always playing with loads so the app has been a great starting point. With archery I don't know that I'd use it, but that would be super cool.