Suggestion for broadhead tuning

madgvr4

FNG
I am new to trying to get everything dialed in on my bow, my preferred shop closed down. I have my vpa broadheads flying pretty true and it seems I can put the broadhead on most all my arrows and my groups are good. I bought some ironwill wide solids and I cannot get these to group at all, if the vpa group around 2” at 30yrds the Ironwills are 6” groups. And it seems every shot is high left with the Ironwill Broadheads.

Should I mess with this, (I think the Ironwill is a better broadhead) since I leave for my hunt in a week or just use the vpa’s since they are working all the way out to 50yd? I would not go past that yardage as I don’t think I am proficient enough.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you just need a little broadhead tuning to tweak your setup so they both shoot equally as well. How do either of the broadheads fly when shot with field points? Does your field points and broadheads hit the same POI?

OP
madgvr4

madgvr4

FNG
Sounds like you just need a little broadhead tuning to tweak your setup so they both shoot equally as well. How do either of the broadheads fly when shot with field points? Does your field points and broadheads hit the same POI?
The vpa’s shot a little to the left compared to my field points And the Ironwills are about 4” left. Both at 30 yards.

OP
madgvr4

madgvr4

FNG
Use the VPA's. It's too close to your hunt to mess with tuning a different broadhead unless you have your own bow press and a lot of free time on your hands. Use the offseason to experiment with the Iron Wills.
Sometimes it’s good to hear someone say exactly what your thinking.

Shoot the VPAs for now. As the dude from Forged in Fire says, "They will Keeeeeeellll"

After season go ahead and experiment with broadhead tuning.

KCL27

FNG
I agree on going with the VPAs, there is a lot to be said with being confident in your setup on your hunt. After season maybe tweak on your rest and maybe a more aggressive fletching combination in the back to help steer those Iron Wills. That’s a lot of planing surface out front

HbDane

WKR
I too agree with sticking with VPA's for the season.

But.....

My experience with the IW Wides are they fly great.... I found they fly better when the blades are horizontal. I'm sure some will say it doesn't or shouldn't matter, but for my setup I find keeping the blades horizontal they flew perfect with FP's. If I had them vertical or diagonal I started seeing different flight patterns.

I too agree with sticking with VPA's for the season.

But.....

My experience with the IW Wides are they fly great.... I found they fly better when the blades are horizontal. I'm sure some will say it doesn't or shouldn't matter, but for my setup I find keeping the blades horizontal they flew perfect with FP's. If I had them vertical or diagonal I started seeing different flight patterns.
Are you shooting a helical or offset vane? Pretty sure your arrow will be rotating on it way to the target and the blade orientation when nocked isn't going to matter when the bow is tuned.

HbDane

WKR
Are you shooting a helical or offset vane? Pretty sure your arrow will be rotating on it way to the target and the blade orientation when nocked isn't going to matter when the bow is tuned.
Helical, this is just my experience with the wides. My bow is tuned bare shaft, and paper. My IW Single bevels, TOTA, and Grim Reaper Micro Hades Pro blade orientation doesn't matter.

NGK808

FNG
Agree that it's too close to your hunt to switch. Worst case is you need a press to fix the broadhead flight (shimming cams, etc.) and it'll take time to dial that in. Then you may need to re-sight in. Would be a lot to do in less than a week. For me, it would be more stress than it's worth, and I might not be confident in my setup when it's time to take it out in the field. May be best to play with the IW's when you have more time.