Suggested set up for tree stand with kid(s)

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
My kids and I are stepping up our game this year to try our luck in the archery season here in Michigan, I have few good locations that are best hunted out of tree stand. My boys are 10 & 12 weighing 80 Lb each, I am around 180 Lb. what do you think is the best set up:

1-is there a tree stand that can fit us all ( can't do ladder stand )
2-Shall I use 2 stands, narrow for me and wide for them? please suggest models

We are starting early to get enough training for the season. Thank you all in advance

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply,
We tried ground blind, it worked ok in another set up, but the new locations need higher ground to make the hunt more likely to be successful since the kids are taking the shots this time.
What tree stand has the widest seat? I was thinking of having them use the big one and i'll just sit in any tree stand next to them. not sure if this set up is feasible.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I would try to figure out a way to use either the ladder stand or ground blind. From my experiences with young kids they get really excited and really nervous at the same time. I would be concerned about them falling. I also know that being able to whisper and coach them through the shot is a big deal. It will be harder to do that from single tree stands. However you end up doing it just remember to have fun with them, that time with them is priceless.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
When I had two old enough to hunt, I put up a double ladder for the two kids and I put a hang on next to them but a little lower than thier platform so when they stood up I was eye level with them. I could coach them quietly and control either side of the setup from the back side of the tree. When I had three going along ages 11,9,6, I put a single ladder in the back, and the hang on between the two and had the young ones in the double ladder. The orange blob was impressive!!!!! Oh the memories!!!! 3 thermoses of hot chocolate, a bag of mini candy bars and 6” subway subs for lunch. And we always laid down animals. Make it all about them. I haven’t bought a gun license in 13 years and will never again. I had a huge pack with all the gear and boot blankets, we’d sit all day . I can’t imagine runnin all those kids up hang on stands. I just bought a 1 man ladder that was 15’ and weighs 31#. I can break it down and lash it to my pack. U can get a light weight hang on and be in that 45# range. Heavy yes- but most sets for deer aren’t a far hike.

Most importantly- all the kids have tree harnesses on. If you start them out the right way, they’ll never no any other safe wsy

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
When I had two old enough to hunt, I put up a double ladder for the two kids and I put a hang on next to them but a little lower than thier platform so when they stood up I was eye level with them. I could coach them quietly and control either side of the setup from the back side of the tree. When I had three going along ages 11,9,6, I put a single ladder in the back, and the hang on between the two and had the young ones in the double ladder. The orange blob was impressive!!!!! Oh the memories!!!! 3 thermoses of hot chocolate, a bag of mini candy bars and 6” subway subs for lunch. And we always laid down animals. Make it all about them. I haven’t bought a gun license in 13 years and will never again. I had a huge pack with all the gear and boot blankets, we’d sit all day . I can’t imagine runnin all those kids up hang on stands. I just bought a 1 man ladder that was 15’ and weighs 31#. I can break it down and lash it to my pack. U can get a light weight hang on and be in that 45# range. Heavy yes- but most sets for deer aren’t a far hike.

Most importantly- all the kids have tree harnesses on. If you start them out the right way, they’ll never no any other safe wsy

That is so nice, and I agree with you, it’s all about them and the sweet memories we create together. We had too many days with no hunt when we used the ground blind, and they enjoyed every minute. Although they scared the deer away when they got excited 🤣
Now, our next hunting land is public and it’s by permit only, it’s relatively safe and easy to get to, a 1-2 miles hike depending on the selected location. I am not sure how ladder stand will work in the public area.
Here is a sketch to the area I am talking about.
I overbought safety equipment and tethering for climbing as well, we are planning on going out for training soon, hope it will work

Attachments

• DE2BA358-9631-4B84-9005-D861D6463680.jpeg
    DE2BA358-9631-4B84-9005-D861D6463680.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
if the area is taken I’ll move to locations 2, 3 or 4, all best hunted out of tree stand, ground blind may work but elevation is a critical factor for success

When my brother and I were about that age, my dad bought a couple “big man ladder stands”. That’s what the local store called them but I think they were just 2 man stands. It worked good for us and never had any issues getting the three of us in there. We were about the same weight/age as your described. He also had screw in hooks above us to hang all the extras we brought with.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Is the road non vehicular? Just wondering you could bike back and cart your gear in?

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Also put the screw in steps at the right nieghbors to put a gun on in case an opportunity presents itself behind the tree. Most young ones can’t hold a gun steady against a tree

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Is the road non vehicular? Just wondering you could bike back and cart your gear in?
Biking on that road is possible, I am planning on a pull cart as will. I don’t think ladder stand is feasible in that area.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I can do the ladder stand but it won’t be good for us, it’s heavy and takes longer to set it up and then take it down. Also this is in public area. Another consideration is that we may have to go to another location in case our first chosen is taken and that’s an extra walk with all our gear.

Maki35

WKR
Other than a ladder stand or box stand. I don't think there is any other options for 2 /or more hunters.

imo, I would consider a portable pop-up ground blind where you and your kids can all hunt safely together.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone,
I think I’ll just use one wide tree stand and take one at a time until they are more comfortable and demonstrate responsibility and safety, then I’ll put up 2 stands.
Until then If both want to come then we will use the ground blind.