Suffering from information overload-looking for elk bullet advice. 7MM08 and 30-06

SteveinMN

FNG
So I've been searching, sifting, and reading for a few days now and damn if trying to pick a bullet isn't harder than picking out tires for the truck!

Here's my situation. I'm bringing both of my boys (14 & 16) to CO for first rifle this year. Both have hunted whitetail in MN but this will be their first trip for elk. I won't be hunting, basically just guiding and advising them. Based on the shooting they've been doing shots are going to be limited to 200 yards. One kid is shooting a 7mm08, the other a 30-06.

I've only bow hunted for elk so am a little lost with bullet selection, and with ammo shortages this year I'm not convinced I can even get ahold of the 'best' bullet. Most of what I've found around here is marketed as 'whitetail' ammo. Will this get the job done, or are these bullets simply too soft/frangible for elk?

There are lots of good elk bullets available for the 30-06 on federal's website right now; a couple different weights for Nosler Partitions, some Barnes TSX. Also some E-tips on Nosler's website. If you're willing to try any of those you shouldn't have to worry about performance on an elk.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
People spend way too much time worrying and fretting over this. The simple answer is whichever bullet they shoot the best. At 200 yards, anything will do. Some bullets like copper ones are made for extreme penetration, some like Bergers are made to fragment. They all work, and elk are killed every year with bullets from across the spectrum.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
For what is available right now

There also seemed to be a lot of Remington Corelokt in both calibers on ammo seek.

Agree with Neil above. Elk are not that hard to kill, if you are going to limit yourselves to 200 yd shots, then literally almost anything will work. In the 7-08 I would preferably shoot something 140 or bigger, but obviously whatever he and the guns shoots most accurately is the best choice. Same goes for the 30-06.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
@SteveinMN take a look at Scheels in EP. They've had 30-06 eld-x ammo in stock 2/3 times I went there this summer. Two of my hunting partners will be shooting that on our Colorado elk hunt this fall.

KRH

FNG
Ditto what others have said. Whatever is most accurate for the particular shooter/rifle. That said, all else being equal I'd shoot 140s with the 7mm-08

11boo

WKR
I’ve dropped a lot of elk with the -06. Never saw a difference in them dropping with premium ammo vs the budget ammo. possibly with a marginal shot, the cheap stuff could fail, but I’ve not tested that.

Buy enough of whatever you choose so the boys can burn some on the range and get fully dialed in out to 300.

Brother has been testing a ton of different ammo in his new Savage Storm in -06. Hornady Precision Hunters, Federal TBT, Federal Partition, Federal Accubond, etc... The round that shoots the best out of his rifle is an oldy but a goody... Remington 180 grain Cor-Lokt. <1" at 100 yards.

RCB

WKR
If you’re still stuck, flip a coin and go spend time on something more important.

OP
S

SteveinMN

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I was just overthinking it. Gonna go drop a few Benjamins on ammo and hit the range with the boys!

Most everything I’ve picked up for the 7/08 is 139-144 grains so should be good there. The -06 stuff I have is a mix or random stuff so I’ll need to get going on shopping there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
Agree with everyone else. Range time is very important right now. Tailor your shots based on bullets you have.

My personal favorite is a shoulder shot with a copper bullet, but with a regular bullet go behind the shoulder and it will kill them just as well.

I wouldn't pick just whatever shoots the best. However, with shortages this may be the truth.
I favor high retention bullets like Barnes, Hammer Hunter, and Federal Terminal Ascent.
Not a fan of high fragmenting bullets, they will absolutely kill game effectively, however I'm a meat hunter primarily. I favor bullets that minimize meat damage.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
You're good. Whatever you can get more than a box of will probably be fine unless they're wildly inaccurate or varmint bullets.
Winchester PowerPoint and Rem corelock have killed so many elk, all the other ammo combined might still be behind.
Practice shooting other than from a bench, and get in shape!