Sub-$400 FFP Scope?

ChrisAU

WKR
I tend to let samples of one hurt my feelings. I had a 3-15x42 that the reticle moved when parallax was adjusted. Had me pulling my hair out on an extremely accurate rifle when shooting different distances before I figured out.

That said SWFA CS was absolutely fantastic, they swapped me straight up for a 3-9x42 HD. This was in 2019 and I had bought the 3-15 for 20% off and found the problem after that sale was over. Then shot the elk in my avatar with that 3-9 a few weeks later, dialed too. Shot my new $200 10x this morning and it was fantastic as well. So I’m not downing SWFA, I like their products, but the one 3-15 I had was not great.

fmyth

WKR
Like I said, I lost a very very big non typical due to a spin turret. So if it doesn’t matter to you then I guess that’s fine. It matters to me based on personal experience.

The washer deal is an OK compromise. Still doesn’t lock the turrets and I don’t like the mushiness of the washer option, but yes, it’s better than having nothing and wonder if you’re at 0 or -10 or +10!

The problem is there aren’t a lot, if any, good scopes in that range. I think we can all agree on that. I’d probably save up and try to get something in the 700 range. A few more options there!
What scope were you using? Did you get caught up in some willows or something? I've carried my Diamondback Tactical and SWFA 6x hundreds of miles in my hands, at my side in my Gun Bearer and in a case on my ATV and have never had the turrets move a single click. I know that it's possible just have never had it happen to me yet.

Ucsdryder

WKR
What scope were you using? Did you get caught up in some willows or something? I've carried my Diamondback Tactical and SWFA 6x hundreds of miles in my hands, at my side in my Gun Bearer and in a case on my ATV and have never had the turrets move a single click. I know that it's possible just have never had it happen to me yet.
It was the following morning after a 12 mile hike down a canyon. It was the first time it ever happened. The next morning he was feeding in a meadow. About 200 yards. I aimed a couple inches high and boom, I missed just in front of his neck, about a foot from where I was aiming. I’m not sure when and where it got spun. I think it’s possible it happened from my kifaru gun bearer, rubbing on my pack? I don’t know. I can still see that buck lifting his head with a bunch of points sticking out everywhere. 😣

fmyth

WKR
It was the following morning after a 12 mile hike down a canyon. It was the first time it ever happened. The next morning he was feeding in a meadow. About 200 yards. I aimed a couple inches high and boom, I missed just in front of his neck, about a foot from where I was aiming. I’m not sure when and where it got spun. I think it’s possible it happened from my kifaru gun bearer, rubbing on my pack? I don’t know. I can still see that buck lifting his head with a bunch of points sticking out everywhere. 😣
Thanks for sharing what happened. How many clicks was it off?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks for sharing what happened. How many clicks was it off?
I don’t remember. When I missed I looked at the gun like “this is your fault” and noticed. I spun back to zero and took a shot as he was running off. Hope and prayer. I walked over to where he was and looked up and saw his little brother. So I shot him. He was a 5x7, only about 18” wide.

Like I said, I lost a very very big non typical due to a spin turret. So if it doesn’t matter to you then I guess that’s fine. It matters to me based on personal experience.

The washer deal is an OK compromise. Still doesn’t lock the turrets and I don’t like the mushiness of the washer option, but yes, it’s better than having nothing and wonder if you’re at 0 or -10 or +10!

The problem is there aren’t a lot, if any, good scopes in that range. I think we can all agree on that. I’d probably save up and try to get something in the 700 range. A few more options there!

Maybe your friend is a better hunter than you? :)

You specifically said locking turrets only if no zero stop. Don't move the goalpost and then poo poo my suggestion. Tape the windage turret if you are paranoid. You're dialing the elevation, so the washers take care of zero stop. And have you tried them? Not mushy at all. At least not to me. If you haven't try it, give it a try.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Athlon Optics Talos BTR 4-14x44 - APLR2 FFP IR MIL
This Talos BTR4-14×44 Model has APLR2 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Aircraft Grade Aluminum provide extra strength and durability to handle the toughest terrain and offers lifetime of use.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Nitrogen Purged: Nitrogen purging dramatically reduces the moisture inside the tube and helps maintaining fogproof and waterproof.
Sightron S-TAC FFP 3-16x42 Zero Stop - Mil-Hash-2 #26017
  • Tactical Turrets
  • Easy to set Zero Stop
  • Zact-7 Revecoat Multicoating for excellent light transmission
  • Exclusive ExacTrack Windage and Elevation adjustment system
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
    The reticle size changes with magnification setting. Reticle values remain constant in relation to your target.
Sightron S-TAC FFP 4-20x50 Zero Stop - MOA-3 IR #26019
  • ExacTrack W&E System: Never experience drift with Sightron's patented windage and elevation adjustment technology. It provides proper alignment between the adjustments and the erector tube by maintaining the same constant and accurate point of pressure at zero or extreme adjustments.
  • Exclusive Optical Design: Using the right materials for the right application, Sightron engineers build optical formulas around the best optical glass to reduce chromatic aberrations, improve color accuracy, deliver excellent light transmission, and best-in-class resolution and sharpness.
  • Zact-7 Revcoat®: Exclusive Zact-7 Revcoat® multi-coating process employs revolutionary lens coating technology on both surfaces of the lenses for maximum anti-reflection performance and the high light transmission.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle - The reticle size changes with magnification setting. Reticle values remain constant in relation to your target.
  • Reticle Material: Etched Glass for a superior viewing experience
  • Shockproof: Built to withstand high caliber recoil and accidental impact
  • Waterproof: Rated at IPX7 waterproof standards
  • Fog proof: Nitrogen gas charged for a lifetime of fog free use
  • Tube Construction: Milled from a single piece of lightweight, industrial grade aluminum

Ok can we frame it another way?
Swfa is the only scope under $850 that isn't ether a Leupold pos or a Chinese pos

Besides SWFA the next lowest cost options that have consistent enough reliability to be considered by (ME) anyways are the Trijicon Credo and the NF SHV.

There are just to many reports of failure on anything else. And I consider the people that say they never have had a problem ether do not use them hard or can't shoot good enough to tell the difference.

Ucsdryder

WKR
A hose washer is all that is needed for a zero stop.
Yep I’ve done it. Works “ok”. I don’t like the mushiness of it. Strongly prefer a factory zero stop and honestly not sure why they don’t add one? But yes, it is better than nothing. I actually need to run by ace today and grab one! Thanks for the reminder. Haha

Yep I’ve done it. Works “ok”. I don’t like the mushiness of it. Strongly prefer a factory zero stop and honestly not sure why they don’t add one? But yes, it is better than nothing. I actually need to run by ace today and grab one! Thanks for the reminder. Haha
Use the white nylon washers from the hardware section.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. This gives me a bunch of options to send to my buddy.