Stupid Question About Carbon Limbs

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kind of dumb question about carbon limbs, and I'm wondering if anyone who has some experience with them can offer suggestions.

I have a Hoyt Dorado riser that I like, and I converted some wood/fiberglass ILF limbs to fit it. In addition to swapping a little bushing that's in the limb, I had to shorten the limbs at the base end ever so slightly. I just sat them on the bench sander for a couple of seconds, and that was all it took. I coated them with superglue and they are good to go.

Now I've gotten curious about carbon limbs. I have a 32" draw, so I was thinking about buying a set of Uukha SX50 limbs in extra long, but I'm worried they may be a hair too long at the base for my riser like other ILF limbs are, and I don't know if I can just hit them with sandpaper the way I can with wood/fiberglass. I don't know anything about the carbon construction, and I don't want to ruin $400 limbs right out of the box. Any thoughts on that? Would I be stupid to try?

I know I could just get an ILF riser, or I could have my Dorado milled and ILF plates installed, but I kinda like the simplicity of bolt-on limbs, and I'd probably just rather stick with what I've got instead of doing all that.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any affordable non-carbon limbs in extra long? The only ones I've found are pretty high end (e.g., Border, etc.).

nevadabugle

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't see why you couldn't sand them. Just make sure they don't get hot while doing it. Excessive heat could cause issues.

Reactions: Cng
I never had a problem with glueing up, sanding, and finishing out carbon limbs. I did it all on my 80 inch belt sander. I would tape them so they have less chance of splintering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, guys!

I never had a problem with glueing up, sanding, and finishing out carbon limbs. I did it all on my 80 inch belt sander. I would tape them so they have less chance of splintering.

Shawn, I assume you are using a pretty fine grit belt and then taping around the area that won't be sanded to keep from splintering? What's the finishing process? Just finer sanding to a very smooth finish?

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I would coat the sanded end with epoxy to cover up the exposed ends of the carbon.

Beendare

WKR
You know the insert on the SX50’s is a little different from the through bolt on most limbs, right?
i’m really not sure if that matters but you want to look at those closely. My buddy used to have one of those white Hoyt Dorado‘s but I can’t remember how those limbs attach, I know it was proprietary.

Personally, I would forget all that and just buy the Uukhas at Alt services and a Junxing riser ( Ali Express) …its better than that Dorado, and I just saved you a couple hundred bucks! Grin

Last edited:
OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
You know the insert on the SX50’s is a little different from the through bolt on most limbs, right?

Yeah, I was a little worried about that. I haven’t seen the limbs in person, but online it doesn’t look like the hole goes all the way through the way it does on other ILF limbs. Might be a problem swapping the bushing…

Thanks, guys!

Shawn, I assume you are using a pretty fine grit belt and then taping around the area that won't be sanded to keep from splintering? What's the finishing process? Just finer sanding to a very smooth finish?

150 grit belt to get rid of tooling marks if there were any. Then would use palm sander with 220. After that I would spray with a shellac (3-4 coats) to seal them. Then I would spray 5-7 coats of two part epoxy finish. Either thunderbird or buffalo hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I was a little worried about that. I haven’t seen the limbs in person, but online it doesn’t look like the hole goes all the way through the way it does on other ILF limbs. Might be a problem swapping the bushing…
Problem, yes- That would be my guess. I would not Drill the limb.

Time for a new riser bro…..