Struggling to find western hunting partners

If you are continuously waiting on others, then you are looking for excuses to not go.

Go solo and enjoy the adventure. Lots of places and species to hunt and despite popular WKR myth, you do not have to hike in 100+ miles one way just to reach them.

Not quite comfortable with that? Do a guided hunt and learn the ropes. Great way to find out if this is your cup of tea with less risk.

If I always waited for a hunting partner, I'd never hunt. Partner or not, I am going even though is pisses my wife off at time. But I am fortunate to have a couple of highly trusted hunting partners that are totally on-board going anywhere to hunt damn near anything and we have a great time doing it.

Trophyhill- beats the hell out of a bad long term commitment. I used the same program as a weeding process for a wife. Went through a lot to find a keeper.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting solo is the only way to go. You’ll make better, quicker decisions and be able to follow your gut. It’s nice to have people in camp but I find it exhausting and aggravating to have to argue my strategy with someone on the hill. Most of the time they’re talking from something they’ve read or heard and not from experience. Go out and do it yourself. No one to blame no one to hold you back.

Mojave

WKR
It is hard to find someone a a hunting partner that doesn't end up in a "Dutch Rudder" situation.

Go solo!

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn't have to be an epic backpack elk hunt. Come out, car camp, and chase some deer and antelope. Totally doable.

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
I really need to start up the matching site huntersonly . com ..... finally my big get rich website is coming into focus

I'll add you should just go solo, you may meet some folks while out hunting, you may not, come prepared for a mental grind and you may find your made of tougher stuff then expected. You may also leave with your tail between your legs, its hard, but you'll find something out one way or another.

Wait your whole life for someone to make the right moves or go get it done yourself and waste no time. I know which one i do. First solo trip was tough, i wont lie, i was talking to the chipmunks by the time the week and a half was done, and hearing human voices on the radio at the end was amazing but... i learned i could do it, i also learned i'd prefer not to. Turns out i dont always get the luxury of a hunting partner so... glad to know i can do it cause i end up doing it at least a few weekends during hunting season every year.

I believe in you buddy!

You're in your 30s and in the prime of your life.. Purchase good gear, stay in shape, do the research, learn the Western game, pay your dues, be persistent, eventually find success. Go West, Go solo young man!

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Thankfully I've got a couple buddies that will consistently go out west every other year. My daughter loves hunting whitetails in MN and now she can fill-in on the years my buddies won't...now just need to get better at finding the elk!

Attachments

• 1669754382498.jpeg
    1669754382498.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 40

cstab

FNG
I was in the same boat. Finally decided what the hell and started accumulating points and buying gear. Went on my first public land solo hunt in NM last year and killed a bull. It was the most challenging, rewarding, amazing experience of my life. I wasn’t able to get a tag this year, but I’ll be back at it next year. Don’t let these years slip by anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeplz

FNG
Colorado has an elk culling volunteer program. You have to qualify with your rifle and ammo but it’s a decent chance at a bringing home some protein.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you don't fill your tag, a week alone in the backcountry will teach you more about yourself than you could ever expect. That week can be life-altering.
yes!

do it OP.

don't need to start off with a deep backcountry hunt (in fact DON'T)

and you're odds of finding a good hunting partner once you've broken the ice out here go up

Sako76

WKR
I hunted with my best friend for 55 years, my father, he passed 3 years ago. No comparison to the guys I hunt with now, I went solo a couple of times and didn't like it. Tough decisions.

I was in the same boat...in '18 I said the hell with it...drew an Antelope tag and picked up a left over cow tag...Filled both tags now I have folks that wanna go with me every year....

Fitzwho

WKR
I solo the majority of my hunts.
2022 - 3 solo hunts (1 pronhorn/2 elk; 2 of the 3 tags filled).
2021 - My dad went with me on my Utah General Deer hunt, but I hunted Colorado mulies solo.
2020 - 3 hunts/4 tags, had a buddy come with me on one of them, a unit close to home that we had both hunted before.

Mostly prefer the solitude, but some hunts it's good to have somebody there with you.

Marble

WKR
Finding a hunting partner is something that just kind of occurs naturally. If I had my choice I would be solo hunting as much as possible. During archery, I've only been successful solo. For rifle it varies but I do what I can to hunt solo.

I have one guy that I archery hunt with and we get along great. He's very methodical and wants everything to be planned, I like to throw a dart at the map and go. He likes trails and planned routes, I like to just bail off into anything with a bugle. And we both respect and work around what we want to do.

Neither of us are going to kill ourselves trying to get a bull, but we hunt hard, hunt smart and have a good time.

For the OP, if you go to archery shoots and are social, you can meet people who want to do the same thing you do.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

It’s nice to have good buddies around the campfire and extra hands if you get an elk down somewhere nasty. But the actual hunting, you’ll want to do that alone, especially once you develop a feel for how you like to hunt. Hunting alone cuts way down on the indecision, arguing, and second-guessing that inevitably arise even among great hunting partners.

Like many have said, just go. You got this. And if you can’t find someone to join you who you are confident will be a rock, go alone. At worst, you will spend a week in the mountains that you’ll probably remember forever, learn something about yourself, and learn a bit about how to hunt (or at least how not to hunt). Any pain, fear, or discomfort will be soon forgotten…except frostbite—that $hit really leaves a mark.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve shared hunts with many nonres hunters over the years in Wyo. In Wyo they average pref pts for nonres. I’ve been criticized by some that I’m taking advantage of those with high pref pts but it’s always been a win-win for both sides. There is something to be said about sharing hunts with someone with local knowledge and experience with access, hunting hotspots, field judging experience, packing out large critters, scouting…the list goes on!

With that said, anyone interested in deer antelope or elk in Wyo send me a pm!