Stove on a day hunt

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Scenario: you are base camping out of your truck and day hunting from there for mule deer. Planning on likely being out dark to dark. Do you carry your stove and dinner with you where you can eat in the field or leave it at the truck and just bring snacks for the day?

RyanC

WKR
I typically leave dinner at base camp/truck if I know I'm returning and just take snacks for the day. I do however take my stove because I like to have a mid-day coffee!!

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Im leaning towards taking it with me. Best case scenario I get an arrow in a deer, I can eat before the track job/pack out to have some extra calories instead of tracking, breaking down, and packing out an animal on an empty-ish stomach.

rayporter

WKR
i have coffee every day and can cook for overnights or lunch by just putting a fuel tab under this.

heat water or make mac and cheese or ramen in 8 minutes. i line the cup with a zip loc for mac and cheese and usually add a hand full of dried burger or chop up a spam slice in it.
Dc4Ailx.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
I packed it one year - you won’t know if you like it until you try it.

I found if it was cold, the time sitting just made me colder. If it was warm out I didn’t have a craving for hot liquids. Knowing many mid day coffee drinkers, they are more likely to pack it.

You can pack a lot of food for the weight of a stove.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
We will see. If I use my bigger bag, I have plenty of room, and if I use my smaller bag and Sherman it will be tight. I think the weight of the bags offsets the stove honestly.

Seeknelk

WKR
I often pack it during later, colder high country hunts. Peak biscuits and gravy with coffee, or hot bone broth, with a meat stick and cheese and butter in it on the glassing spot is too good on those days. Other warmer or shorter days it's snacks. But I'm a coffee addict so there's that.

fatlander

WKR
I enjoy eating my dinner earlier in the evening and just going to sleep once I get back to camp after dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rideold

WKR
Pocket rocket and Titan kettle live in my pack regardless of the length of the hunt. during elk season I throw in a freeze dried meal for the chance of getting an animal close to dark. Some things are just better on a full stomach....besides, a cup of coffee is a luxury worth the 12 oz (stove+kettle+small fuel canister).