Stone Glacier Xcurve Frame Changes

I just ordered a new SG pack and I noticed that the hip belt and shoulder fabric is no longer the expanded black mesh. Its a much smoother fabric with no holes for pine needles to get caught in there now. Also, the old fabric always got caught on velcro and pulled.

The 2nd change I noticed was the load shelf. The old had had webbing and adjustable tension buckle. Now the bottom of the xpac load shelf is sown directly to the frame. It also sits a little higher up on the frame for better center of mass.

Small changes but seem like both good ones.

I really hated the mesh on my exo k2 and was pumped when they switched.
But then I decided the mesh stayed up on me better and wished I'd had my old belt back.

Everything is a trade off.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you look at the terminus harness, I'm sure it is the same "closed" spacer mesh. It works much, much better at keeping pine needles etc from getting embedded, especailly at the bottom of the hip belt.

Wouldn't be surprised if the mesh isn't a supply chain issue thing.

I prefer the ability to remove the load shelf.

alonsom10

FNG
I just ordered a new SG pack and I noticed that the hip belt and shoulder fabric is no longer the expanded black mesh. Its a much smoother fabric with no holes for pine needles to get caught in there now. Also, the old fabric always got caught on velcro and pulled.

The 2nd change I noticed was the load shelf. The old had had webbing and adjustable tension buckle. Now the bottom of the xpac load shelf is sown directly to the frame. It also sits a little higher up on the frame for better center of mass.

Small changes but seem like both good ones.
Can you upload a picture of the updated fabric?

sr80

WKR
i found that fabric on my terminus more comfortable than the old expanded material, i always had a hard time with the SG belts and the older material seems almost too abrasive. The new stuff is softer and slighty smoother feeling.

ljalberta

WKR
I think the new material is an improvement in terms of picking up pine needles, and other thorns and bristles. But we’ll see how the material stands up long term.

As a general note about shoulder straps, belts, and lumbar pads. They all do wear out. I found the Kifaru straps (2016 and 2018 Hunter Frame) might have compressed sooner than SGs foam, but the old SG covering material really gets rubbed and pulled quickly in comparison. One of my friends Exo K2 which has easily over 100 days of backpack hunting on it now looks like it’s in absolute prime condition, which has been very impressive (although I think the lumbar foam is far too soft).

The old 2020 SG Solo here made its last trip with me. I’m downsizing and looking forward to the seeing how the Terminus and Exo stack up after a few years use. I already do have some holes wearing through the Xpac material against the stays on the Terminus. But hopefully it doesn’t become a major issue.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Any updates on durability thoughts?
If asking about the packs - you wear out their stuff and I’d be willing to bet you could send the pack in and they’ll take care of you.

I haven’t had much for issues with the newer mesh if that’s more of your concern.

The mesh was my main thought, however some of the other changes are curious as well.

Sewing the load shelf to the frame, deleting some of the velcro in the waist belt attachment, changing the shape of the lumbar pad velcro, deleting some of the heavy Cordura surrounding the frame stays... Just wondering what triggered those changes and whether they're "streamling" or "cost-saving" type changes.