Stone Glacier Terminus - is it durable?

joedawjes

FNG
I recently saw that Stone Glacier released their ultra light pack - the Terminus 7000. 3 lbs 15oz sounds nice, but I wonder if pack durability is compromised.

Has anybody got their hands on one of these packs/have an opinion about its durability?

schmalzy

WKR
I recently saw that Stone Glacier released their ultra light pack - the Terminus 7000. 3 lbs 15oz sounds nice, but I wonder if pack durability is compromised.

Has anybody got their hands on one of these packs/have an opinion about its durability?

I ordered one and it came in on Wednesday. I’ve done a few miles with 50 pounds in it. Durability not a concern as far as I can tell. Seems to be just like any other SG pack I’ve handled, just lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
SG told me over email that the new SG ultra PE fabric they used has increased abrasion resistance, lower weight, and two times the tear strength of traditional 500D nylon pack fabric. He also mentioned it is crinkly sounding and they do not recommend it for a timber hunt style pack because of that. It was made and designed for alpine hunts.

sr80

WKR
I ordered one and it came in on Wednesday. I’ve done a few miles with 50 pounds in it. Durability not a concern as far as I can tell. Seems to be just like any other SG pack I’ve handled, just lighter.

how do you find the fabric as far as noise? Any difference felt with the different material used on the inside of the belt and shoulder straps?s

schmalzy

WKR
how do you find the fabric as far as noise? Any difference felt with the different material used on the inside of the belt and shoulder straps?s

It’s noisier than cordura for sure, but I don’t think it’s too bad. Don’t think there’s a whole bunch of situations where it would make noise?

Material for shoulder straps and belt appear to be pretty much the same. I’ll try to compare later.

I haven’t used it in the field, only training. I like it so far.

ljalberta

WKR

Did they use a different material for the inside of the belt and shoulder straps?

I do prefer the material that Kifaru uses on the inside of their straps as I find it a little more comfortable with increased durability. Would love to see SG offer a similar material.

sr80

WKR
Did they use a different material for the inside of the belt and shoulder straps?

I do prefer the material that Kifaru uses on the inside of their straps as I find it a little more comfortable with increased durability. Would love to see SG offer a similar material.
ya i was told its a new spacer mesh that doesnt have the open voids in the fabric to catch snow and debris. Im hoping its more comfortable that the old spacer mesh as i found the belt to be uncomfortable with heavy loads. But they say its the same comfort wise.

ljalberta

WKR
ya i was told its a new spacer mesh that doesnt have the open voids in the fabric to catch snow and debris. Im hoping its more comfortable that the old spacer mesh as i found the belt to be uncomfortable with heavy loads. But they say its the same comfort wise.
Good to know. I suppose I’ll have to get my hands on this pack to check it out.

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
SG told me over email that the new SG ultra PE fabric they used has increased abrasion resistance, lower weight, and two times the tear strength of traditional 500D nylon pack fabric. He also mentioned it is crinkly sounding and they do not recommend it for a timber hunt style pack because of that. It was made and designed for alpine hunts.
The fabric trade name is Dyneema, the acronym UHMWPE which SG uses on their site stands for ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.

i have never had a desire to try a SG pack (their 26" frame has ruled them out for me, though some have said it's no taller than kifaru's 24" frame, which changed my perspective a bit) but the terminus is a very interesting pack to me.... not so much the light weight, but the water resistance and design.... i like the fact it's internal frame, yet also designed to haul meat..... i'm going to hold off in hopes of a smaller version in the future, but i'm getting the new pack itch again (for a niche i have) and the terminus is high on my list....

WCT3

FNG
i have never had a desire to try a SG pack (their 26" frame has ruled them out for me, though some have said it's no taller than kifaru's 24" frame, which changed my perspective a bit) but the terminus is a very interesting pack to me.... not so much the light weight, but the water resistance and design.... i like the fact it's internal frame, yet also designed to haul meat..... i'm going to hold off in hopes of a smaller version in the future, but i'm getting the new pack itch again (for a niche i have) and the terminus is high on my list....
You should check out some of the new/updated Seek Outside packs too. They're also offering Ultra PE material in an integrated, load hauling platform.