Stone Glacier - Mid Term Review

This last winter I acquired a Stone Glacier Terminus. Since the people on this site are essentially the target market, I thought I'd do a review on how it's holding up.

The pack was acquired as a well used "demo" pack that Kurt sold me at a good price. It was from his first run of packs, so didn't have any of the minor refinements that the current packs have. When I got it, the pack had traveled all over Alaska being tested by some pretty hard core people, so it was "well used" when I got it in February. Since then, I've used it as a work pack, packpacking pack, hunting pack, and just generally abused the living daylights out of it. To give you an idea of what this pack has been through: it's been on two winter snowshoeing trips north of the Yukon, been strapped to the external racks or stuffed under the seat of half a dozen helicopters, tied to the racks of snowmachines, ATV's, and UTV's many times, done beach landings in SE Alaska, been stuffed in the back of several different Cessna 206's, used as checked luggage on Alaska Airlines, used for backpacking trips, and even a canoe trip. Then a month ago, I loaned it to my dad, who subjected it to more helicopters and bushplanes, took it to the Alaska Range again, crashed brush on the Alaska Peninsula, and then finally took it sheep hunting for a week in the rain. Basically, we subjected it to an accelerated wear test and are pushing 50 days in the field with it this year.

Some photos:

So far, I can state that it is holding up very very well. I've got one small tear in the cordura and I'm starting to see a bit of fabric wear at the bottom of the frame. No broken buckles, frayed straps, or loose stitching. All of the velcro, suspension foam, etc is holding up very well. Basically, it's holding up like I expect a premium pack to do. A few comments on the features:

Frame: The carbon in the Krux frame consists of solid carbon fiber rods just over 1/4" in diameter. The seem to be extremely strong, and the force require to break the frame would almost certainly destroy any other type of frame out there. The main wear point on the frame appears to be bottom fabric when dropped in the rocks. That can be said for most packs, so no points deducted at this point. The frame is very thin and wears quite close to the body, a plus in my book. Barreling has never been an issue, and I've seriously overstuffed the thing on a few occasions.

Suspension: So far everything is holding up great. Unfortunately, the one thing I haven't done is packed out meat loads. My dad had it in his possession when I needed to haul a caribou recently, so my Barneys pack did the job. I find the suspension comfortable both light and heavy. I'm not a fan of aggressive lumbar pads, so think the customizable one for the SG is genius. I use it with single 1/4" layer of foam, and my dad strongly prefers no pad at all. I had no issues getting the hip belt tight enough.

Bag: I have the Terminus bag and find that it does have it's pluses and minuses. The Xpac fabric is great.. doesn't soak up any water, and looks like new. Both dad and I have used it as a day pack pretty extensively, and find the compression system to be excellent when lightly loaded. The main drawbacks are access. I hated fighting the lid and snow collar to get down inside a relatively small bag opening. A 17" side zip that I had added to the left side made a huge difference in functionality and really made the thing into to a great pack. The other issue I have is with the top lid. The way it attaches can only be described as "floppy" when the pack is partially loaded and it tends to sag down enough to actually expose the main bag opening. A more solid attachment to the top of the bag would make me much happier. I'd also prefer that the snow collar be ditched in favor of an extended main bag. The "no pocket" thing is ideal for alders and willow crashing, and I haven't purchased any pockets for it. A spotting scope easily straps to the outside in a small roll top bag.

The Solo bag cures all of the Terminus issues, but it's at the cost of a smaller main pack. I will probably get one for use as a day pack or shorter trips.

Gun Attachment: I thought this was pretty good. The gun rides tight to your body and completely out of the way. The QR drops it into your hand with no fuss. We had one accidental release when the strap got pulled, and took to using one of the compression straps as a safety if the gun wasn't needed. If the release strap is tucked away correctly, I don't really think it's a big issue.

Hope that helps people considering this pack in the future.

Yk

muleman

WKR
Once again thanks for your thorough comments. Your pack has seen a lifetime of use already.

I have been using the Krux Frame with the Approach bag for scouting trips of up to two days length and really like it. My only complaint is how my 3L Source bladder doesn't hang well on the back of the frame as demonstrated by Kurt. I imagine if I used a bladder with a hard lip like a camelbak or rigged up something then I could resolve my only complaint so far.

Buckman

WKR
Hey YK thanks for the mid term review. Do you think that future versions of the Terminus could be made more like the solo? To solve those issues? But still retain its bigger size.

OP
Yellowknife
Hey YK thanks for the mid term review. Do you think that future versions of the Terminus could be made more like the solo? To solve those issues? But still retain its bigger size.

I've actually mentioned that possibility to Kurt. It would be tough to do a 6000+ cu in panel loader, but 4500 or so shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has asked for that though, so it's probably pretty far down his list of things to invent.

Otherwise a simplified lid attachment and a factory side zip would make it perfect in my mind. I'm not afraid of modding my gear, so mine may end up that way at some point. The trick is talking the wife into running the sewing machine on another one of my hairbrain ideas. She won't let me touch it for some reason. :)

Yk

MattB

WKR
For the issue of wear on the pack bottom from being set down on rocks, I have used seam sealer with some success to create a barrier bellows the stays on some of my Kifarus.

c5mrr270

WKR
I've actually mentioned that possibility to Kurt. It would be tough to do a 6000+ cu in panel loader, but 4500 or so shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has asked for that though, so it's probably pretty far down his list of things to invent.

Otherwise a simplified lid attachment and a factory side zip would make it perfect in my mind. I'm not afraid of modmake my geardifferencemine may end up that way at some point. The trick is talking the wife into running the sewing machine on another one of my hairbrain ideas. She won't let me touch it for some reason. :)

Yk

Just adding the side zip would make a huge difference. I've been running an MR Metcalf this season and that is my favorite feature of the pack.

OP
Yellowknife
Just adding the side zip would make a huge difference. I've been running an MR Metcalf this season and that is my favorite feature of the pack.

Yeah, $40 and an hour at the local sew shop cured that oversight. :) For a guy using his pack all the time, it's a critical to be able to access gear in a functional manner. Pockets do the trick and do it well, but I've found a good access zipper and some pull outs make for a nice streamlined package with a high degree of functionality.

Pack just got back from another caribou hunt with my dad. He "forgot" to give it back after our last hunt and now it's 350 miles away. Funny how that happened. I believe it's going for another bush plane ride in the morning too. He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get it back to me.

Yk

c5mrr270

WKR
Nice review btw. I've been thinking about giving SG a try and would probably do the same thing if I decided to keep it.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
YK, While my terminus has not had the durability test that yours has, I'd like to echo a lot of those thoughts.

I think the lid attachment could be cured by moving the loops that hold the front straps down about 2-3". That way you could cinch the front straps down, and keep the lid from sliding to the back of the pack.

I'm coming from a Barney's pack as well (Pinnacle) and the 6000CI thing is tight at times. I just got back from 15 days sheep hunting, and I got all that food in there, but just barely. I like the idea of extending the main bag, possibly with a smaller snow collar or none. The snow collar does get you to a pack that actually cinches closed, unlike the barney's (not that I've ever had a problem with things falling out of that huge bag on the barney's).

I would go for a couple permanently attached pockets on the back. I dig how narrow this thing is, and it is awesome in the brush. But I guess I am a "pockets guy", because I still want them. At least a spotter/tripod pocket would be extremely handy. Your zipper is a very interesting mod though, and with the compression straps I'd have zero issue with that.

I also really like the rifle attachment. I ran the compression strap over the forend the whole time due to an accidental dismount with a K gunbearer that slammed the muzzle of my rifle into the rocks on a previous hunt. Just can't trust cam buckles after that, especially when you are in brush one minute and in the rocks the next. The SG rifle carrier is a great example of "less is more". There is hardly anything to it, and it works extremely well IMO.

Other points:
I'd like to see more webbing on nearly every compression strap. The center horizontal straps have just enough to tie something on, but could stand another 6". The bottom compression straps could use even more, so that you could attach a sleeping pad when using the load shelf. People can always cut off webbing they will never use, but it is more difficult to add after the fact. Of course that will add to the weight, but I'd be ok with that.

My meat bag leaked blood, which is my fault - it isn't seam sealed, and I should have done that before I left or lined it with a garbage bag (did that later and it worked fine).

The webbing on the belt looks like a great place to add pockets or a camera. I found that to be a huge PITA. Not sure what the solution to that is. I had clipped my camera case to the belt, and it would twist the webbing every time I took the pack off which made putting the belt back on less ideal. The camera eventually fell off the belt (not the fault of the pack in any way) so I started carrying it in the bag. I liked the belt much better after that. Not sure how to fix that one, maybe get a camera that doesn't weigh so much?

Load hauling - I didn't put a whole sheep on this thing, but I did have all the meat minus one shoulder (bone-in on the quarters - we were in a hurry). Partner had the shoulder and head/cape. We came off the mountain in the dark to spike camp, and I really liked how it did with that load. The next day we divvied up the same, and added spike camp in. The pack looked a little funny - I'm not the lightest packer, but it carried fine. My partner got video of me standing up with the belt undone, shoulder straps loose, and load lifters loose... it was shaky. But when belted in/tightened up, it was golden. I didn't have a problem with weight too far from my back, but I had most everything strapped up top.

Loaded light and day hunting out of spike camp, this thing is lean and mean. It really shines against a big external in that scenario, and still has the ass to get dead stuff back to camp when the gods smile on you.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
Once again thanks for your thorough comments. Your pack has seen a lifetime of use already.

I have been using the Krux Frame with the Approach bag for scouting trips of up to two days length and really like it. My only complaint is how my 3L Source bladder doesn't hang well on the back of the frame as demonstrated by Kurt. I imagine if I used a bladder with a hard lip like a camelbak or rigged up something then I could resolve my only complaint so far.

I'm not familiar with the approach bag, but I had the same issue when trying to stuff a 3L platypus in between the frame and bag while the bag was full. I think a 2L would work better there, but I did manage to get the thing in. Loading your water before you load the pack bag makes it much easier, but that is not always practical. Keeping the 3L a little less than full helps a lot, as they swell exponentially in the last half-pint or so. Also, when the water bladder is wet, it is much easier to slide in.

Ray

WKR
YK, later this winter fall can I borrow your SG to test drive my back? I am having lumbar issues with my longhunter and want to see how the SG belt works out with my back.

OP
Yellowknife
I would go for a couple permanently attached pockets on the back. I dig how narrow this thing is, and it is awesome in the brush. But I guess I am a "pockets guy", because I still want them. At least a spotter/tripod pocket would be extremely handy. Your zipper is a very interesting mod though, and with the compression straps I'd have zero issue with that.

The "Access" pocket seems like a good solution to what you are looking for? It's not permanent of course, but that gives you the option of dropping it at camp during a day hunt. Fits behind the pack so keeps things narrow and should fit a 65mm spotter. I haven't tried one, but I might this year.

Other points:
I'd like to see more webbing on nearly every compression strap. The center horizontal straps have just enough to tie something on, but could stand another 6". The bottom compression straps could use even more, so that you could attach a sleeping pad when using the load shelf. People can always cut off webbing they will never use, but it is more difficult to add after the fact. Of course that will add to the weight, but I'd be ok with that.

I didn't see that problem, but then I'm the kind of guy that usually cuts half the straps off a pack and trims the rest, so YMMV. To me they were just right, with nothing missing nor extra. We used the side straps to attach our spotting scope and tripod to the left side of the pack in a small roll top bag, and had plenty of room for that. Also used them to attach snowshoes, saws, and various other random objects. I can see that attaching something as bulky as a sleeping bag to the bottom might be pretty marginal, but I think any of my tents should slip in there just fine.

The webbing on the belt looks like a great place to add pockets or a camera. I found that to be a huge PITA. Not sure what the solution to that is. I had clipped my camera case to the belt, and it would twist the webbing every time I took the pack off which made putting the belt back on less ideal. The camera eventually fell off the belt (not the fault of the pack in any way) so I started carrying it in the bag. I liked the belt much better after that. Not sure how to fix that one, maybe get a camera that doesn't weigh so much?

I didn't have that problem with my camera (wore it on the belt most of the spring/summer), but did have that exact issue when I tried to attach a Glock or other heavier object so I know exactly what you mean. I think the solution is likely to add a couple more sq inches of velcro to keep everything in place. The belt got used to attach various objects quite a bit, and I really liked it, but it does have weight limitations as currently constructed.

YK, later this winter fall can I borrow your SG to test drive my back? I am having lumbar issues with my longhunter and want to see how the SG belt works out with my back.

Ray,

You in the Fairbanks area? I've got no problem letting you try it out, assuming I can somehow re-aquire it from my dad before then. At last report it was on a plane to Illiamna. The family borrowing circle was way more fun when I was broke and he had all the cool stuff!

Ray

WKR
Ray,

You in the Fairbanks area? I've got no problem letting you try it out, assuming I can somehow re-aquire it from my dad before then. At last report it was on a plane to Illiamna. The family borrowing circle was way more fun when I was broke and he had all the cool stuff!

I am in anchorage. I have good friends in Fairbanks, and might drive up to visit them sometime this winter. If I do I can coordinate a meet up to try on the pack.

I need to see a doc soon as I may have figured out why my Kifaru doesn't fit we'll and goes out of fit quickly. Herniated disk or at least something not lining up and pinching my sciatic nerve. Again!

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
Ray,
I'm in Anchorage, and would be happy to let you test drive my pack if you want. I am running the belt without the lumbar pad, so I won't be much help if that is something you want to test.
Sorry to hear of the back issue, that can't be fun.
-Chris

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppleJack