Stone Glacier Grumman Down Jacket

I really like the Grumman down jacket, I'm looking for the warmest puffy for hunting. Before I purchase it does anyone have any suggestions for a warmer puffy? or If you have any experience with this jacket what is your feedback with it? Thanks.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
The warmth to weight on the Grumman is excellent. If you want warmer you’ll have to go up in weight. If you go up about 8 oz. the Rab Mythic Ultra Down in a M weighs 18.9 oz. with 8.5 oz of 900 goose down.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Likely too warm. It will pack small even though it’s just over a pound but with it being a puffy it will be bulkier than you think when wearing it. The Katabatic Tincup at 13.5 oz. and Montbell Alpine at 16 oz. are some good ones in between.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
The Grumman is the best puffy I’ve used. I’ve had mine for three years and have no desire to switch to anything else.

Great jacket, super warm and packs down well, but the fit is for those who aren’t thick in the waist. Same with all Stone Glacier I’ve found, I’ve got a 33/34 waist and this is a bit tight when layering.

Last edited:
OP
T
Good to know. Thank you. I am unfortunately a small but thank you. This sounds good for me the slimmer fitting brands do fit me much better.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Outdoor Research helium Down Hoodie the last few years and love it. It is lighter, cheaper, and more durable than the Stone Glacier. I love that it also has reinforced patches on the shoulders and hood.

The SG Grumman is definitely warmer by a smidge but you pay in $$ and weight. You can't go wrong with either but consider how warm you need it to be.

I don't get cold easy so the OR is perfect for me. I always carry the OR Helium, a quarter zip, and a rain jacket and that can get me through any weather down to the 20s no problem. If I get cold I can always just start hiking.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of having a removable hood on my higher loft down jackets as I normally layer with my raincoat over the top for better durability. The hood can also be unzipped and used if you’re using a quilt. I use a montbell now and really like it … 13.7 oz in size medium and much warmer than the Grumman.