Stolen Guns

KSP277

WKR
The thread about the lost pistol got me to thinking, I’ve gotten tons of info from this forum, maybe I can pass off a little info to help others....

One thing you can do as a gun owner to help your self out, and to help a thief be prosecuted, is simply take a pic of your guns individually and record the serial number. There’s a national database called NCIC. It’s good for all kinds of stuff, but to stay on topic, If you own a gun and it’s stolen, and you have the serial number recorded. You provide that serial number to whichever law enforcement agency you report The crime to. If it’s stolen in Miami Florida, and turns up in a traffic stop in Anchorage Alaska, imeadiatley they’re going to know it’s stolen. It’s nation wide and it never expires. And more than likely, your going to get your property back, plus, now there’s a chain of custody in which the responsible parties can be charged with the crime. It would blow your mind how many gun owners have no record of their serial numbers. It’s 5 minutes of your time for a free dose of insurance. Best case scenario, take a pic of your gun, then take a sharpie and write the serial number on the photo. Make a copy. Hell make 3. Insurance companies hate it. Because now you have photographic proof of your guns and accessories to be able to provide an exact estimate of value, even if they’re not stolen. Say even if, God Forbid, your house or truck or cabin, or shop, burns down, or floods, and your guns were in it, now you can place actual value on what your firearms were worth. AND scopes and rings and slings, lights, lasers, grenade launchers, pez dispensers, you name it.

Everyday somebody’s truck or house is broken into and guns walk off. And every day Law enforcement deals with a tweaker or some low rent turd carrying a $1,200 1911 that they know damn well is stolen. They run the numbers and guess what. It comes back clean all because Jimmy Jim Bob went and bought him a brand new Kimber and tossed the box in the trash and the only thing he can do is try and describe it. And there’s a good chance the police officer your dealing with may not be a gun guy. In his report he records the stolen property as a “.46 ACB Caliber pistol, silver in color. Kimbro brand” Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your never seeing your pistola again. Take a few minutes and write em down. Make a copy and give it to your buddy. Have him do the same.

PRO TIP. Never,ever, never, ever, ever, never, EVER let your wife see the copy of serial numbers and values. Your not getting Laid for at least 6 weeks when she finds out what all those guns are really worth.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a gun stolen back in 2009, reported it with the serial# and everything. Still haven’t ever heard anything about it.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
I had a gun stolen back in 2009, reported it with the serial# and everything. Still haven’t ever heard anything about it.

But you could. If it turns up in 2039 you’ll know it. It’s not a guarantee by any means, but it’s better than nothing by a long shot. True story, knew of a guy that had a beat up ruger 10/22 stolen. Few years later it shows up at a pawn shop. No telling how many times it traded hands, but when he gets its back now it’s wearing a straight 4X Leupold. Lost his gun for few years but ended up with a free scope out of it. I hope yours turns up.

Had a brotha break into my home, steal S&W M&P 15. Got his prints and he was arrested. Gun sold and gone. 2 yrs later received call from NH state police. Rifle in trunk with Felony amounts of narcotics. Still haven’t gotten the gun back but i know where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
Had one stolen and a few years later it was returned by the police. Shithead down the street had it. I try to take pictures and email them to myself and them put them in the cloud so there always there and easy to get to

CX5Ranch

WKR
I had some chainsaws stolen once. 5 actually. I had the serial numbers recorded and 1 has turned up out of the pawn shop since then. The rest will show up as well some day.

My guns are all recorded as well. I didn't take pics of them but should.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
In the spirit of the thread I will share that Sturdy makes the toughest most affordable safes I could find. No fluff. Just steel. Anything can be broken into with enough time, but these would take some work.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
A little over a year ago I had my car broke into and a hand gun stolen out of my car at a trailhead. Reported it all that day. I’m going next week to be a witness at a murder trial...

Jbehredt

WKR
A little over a year ago I had my car broke into and a hand gun stolen out of my car at a trailhead. Reported it all that day. I’m going next week to be a witness at a murder trial...

Plead the fif!!

OP
K

KSP277

WKR

Is that bc your gun was recovered, or bc you found the guy that stole it?

In all seriousness the previous is good advice. I have serial numbers recorded. Had a firearm stollen in 2002. Haven't heard anything about it showing up other than the sheriff's office calling to check to verify it was still missing. Kinda odd. It was about 14 years after the fact.

Do know a guy who had an 870 stolen and it was recovered about 5 years later when found in some woods under a log. And know another individual who had about 8 firearms stolen while away. One was a high dollar 28 ga that he had been dove hunting with a few days prior and hadn't returned to the safe. They were recovered about 3 weeks later and with the pictures his wife had taken for insurance there were no issues with him retaking possession.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Haha I plead the fifth...I felt pretty bad at first, then the arresting officer told me they found 3 other stolen guns in his apartment. Now I’m just pissed I’ll probably never get it back.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Mine happened at a trailhead too, I parked at a gate to a closed fire road that is vidibale from the road and well known, about a mile up the road is a reservoir that had been closed to cars since a Forrest fire in 2001. I walked up the road looking for black bears because my buddy had been
Seeing them up there.

On the way back about an hour later there was a guy walking up the road and he said “is that your white truck?? You left your door open” I knew I didn’t. I got back to the parking area and somebody had thrown a rock through the driver side window and taken a small safe I kept the pistol locked in from behind the seat. They took my phone charger too as well as all the change in the change tray.

That was a nice glock 17rtf2.

Haha I plead the fifth...I felt pretty bad at first, then the arresting officer told me they found 3 other stolen guns in his apartment. Now I’m just pissed I’ll probably never get it back.

There is a post-trial procedure to getting it back. No worries.

Fatcamp

WKR
Mine happened at a trailhead too, I parked at a gate to a closed fire road that is vidibale from the road and well known, about a mile up the road is a reservoir that had been closed to cars since a Forrest fire in 2001. I walked up the road looking for black bears because my buddy had been
Seeing them up there.

On the way back about an hour later there was a guy walking up the road and he said “is that your white truck?? You left your door open” I knew I didn’t. I got back to the parking area and somebody had thrown a rock through the driver side window and taken a small safe I kept the pistol locked in from behind the seat. They took my phone charger too as well as all the change in the change tray.

That was a nice glock 17rtf2.

That sucks. My USPSA pistol is a 17rtf2.

xziang

WKR
I've done this before. May or may not be wise but I also forward the pics to an email addy so the info can/could be accessed anywhere.