Stock vs Chassis for Recoil Control (Heavy Calibers)

PathFinder

Well Known Rokslider
I'm working on a plan for a build for next season. Currently working out some details but the general idea is a 300 Terminator that's light enough to backpack with but with the ability to add weights on truck based hunts. Probably a similar concept to Ryan's 33 XC build.
One of the things I need to decide on is a chassis (likely XLR Atom) or stock (Stockys VG2 with a weighted rail as an option).
The primary advantage I see to the chassis is the ability to fold the stock and make the gun easier to haul around in brush when it's on my pack. I believe I saw a post from @Formidilosus recently that mentioned chassis/pistol grip setups not managing recoil as well? Maybe @Ryan Avery or someone that has experience with both can chime in on the differences in handling heavy calibers on a chassis vs a stock? The other thing that may be worth considering is how well either rides a rear bag. My only experience with chassis were in light calibers and heavy rifles, so this will be new territory for me to some degree.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The managing recoil thing is about where the thumb is placed and how that effects control (overall, not just recoil) and then manipulation.

OP
PathFinder

PathFinder

Well Known Rokslider
The managing recoil thing is about where the thumb is placed and how that effects control (overall, not just recoil) and then manipulation.
Right, that makes sense. Can the right grip and technique on a chassis solve that problem, or does the stock just have an inherent advantage?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Right, that makes sense. Can the right grip and technique on a chassis solve that problem, or does the stock just have an inherent advantage?

With true pistol grips it’s just reality. A vertical grip such as the KRG Bravo, Gunwerks Clymr, etc. allow you to do is to get the base of the thumb behind the grip, centerline to the bolt which aids in control- both or the gun and during recoil, while still give proper hand position. A true pistol grip does not- you either sacrifice control or bolt and safety manipulation speed/ease.

I’ll try to get some pics and maybe a video up to demo.

OP
PathFinder

PathFinder

Well Known Rokslider
That would be great, I appreciate it. After this year I realized that I have some improvements to make in recoil and general control so I want to get it right on this build.
What is your take on thumb rests like XLR sells? Less effective because they aren't directly behind the bolt and bore?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm working on a plan for a build for next season. Currently working out some details but the general idea is a 300 Terminator that's light enough to backpack with but with the ability to add weights on truck based hunts. Probably a similar concept to Ryan's 33 XC build.
One of the things I need to decide on is a chassis (likely XLR Atom) or stock (Stockys VG2 with a weighted rail as an option).
The primary advantage I see to the chassis is the ability to fold the stock and make the gun easier to haul around in brush when it's on my pack. I believe I saw a post from @Formidilosus recently that mentioned chassis/pistol grip setups not managing recoil as well? Maybe @Ryan Avery or someone that has experience with both can chime in on the differences in handling heavy calibers on a chassis vs a stock? The other thing that may be worth considering is how well either rides a rear bag. My only experience with chassis were in light calibers and heavy rifles, so this will be new territory for me to some degree.
I prefer a carbon stock over a chassis on a big magnum. To me it has less felt recoil. I also have a bad habit of over torquing a chassis with a pistol grip and shooting to the right with big Magnums.

I would recommend bedding the chassis with a big magnum.

jimh406

Well Known Rokslider
Frankly, I don't feel the recoil on game. Don't shoot a high recoiling rifle with super hot loads enough to be afraid of it. If you don't, you will be ok with stock or chassis. Practice with lighter loads if you feel you need to practice a lot.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Frankly, I don't feel the recoil on game. Don't shoot a high recoiling rifle with super hot loads enough to be afraid of it. If you don't, you will be ok with stock or chassis. Practice with lighter loads if you feel you need to practice a lot.
It’s not about be afraid of it. It’s more about spotting my shot. The more the rifle recoils the more the rifle moves. I see zero point is practicing with lighter loads on a LR Rifle.

mmw194287

Well Known Rokslider
I prefer a carbon stock over a chassis on a big magnum. To me it has less felt recoil. I also have a bad habit of over torquing a chassis with a pistol grip and shooting to the right with big Magnums.

I would recommend bedding the chassis with a big magnum.
Ryan, what is your cutoff for a "big magnum?" Does a 300 Win with 215 Hybrids count?

OP
PathFinder

PathFinder

Well Known Rokslider
It’s not about be afraid of it. It’s more about spotting my shot. The more the rifle recoils the more the rifle moves. I see zero point is practicing with lighter loads on a LR Rifle.
Agreed, this is what I'm intending to address with my post. I want the best control possible of the rifle for field accuracy, recoil control to spot shots, and quicker follow ups as necessary.

carsonkeys

Well Known Rokslider
With true pistol grips it’s just reality. A vertical grip such as the KRG Bravo, Gunwerks Clymr, etc. allow you to do is to get the base of the thumb behind the grip, centerline to the bolt which aids in control- both or the gun and during recoil, while still give proper hand position. A true pistol grip does not- you either sacrifice control or bolt and safety manipulation speed/ease.

Don’t want to derail the thread but I will offer that I would also appreciate photos/video of this. I constantly find myself with my thumb on my trigger hand side - it feels more comfortable to me. If I could see the real world benefits I might be able to force myself to relearn that.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Don’t want to derail the thread but I will offer that I would also appreciate photos/video of this. I constantly find myself with my thumb on my trigger hand side - it feels more comfortable to me. If I could see the real world benefits I might be able to force myself to relearn that.

Yes Form let's see that neutral thumb. Haha! The KRG Bravo, EH1, Clymer and Allterra stock are my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Agreed, this is what I'm intending to address with my post. I want the best control possible of the rifle for field accuracy, recoil control to spot shots, and quicker follow ups as necessary.

Anything above a 300 WSM for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zrodwyo

Well Known Rokslider
I have a 12 pound 300 WSM in a chassis and a 8 pound 30 nosler in a stock. both suppressed. I feel more recoil from the 300 WSM.

Jimbee

Well Known Rokslider

Interested in this. Hope to see an update sometime. 🙏