Still working

Retired 3.5 years ago at 58.5 and while I miss the guys on my crew that made me look good all those years I have zero intentions of re-entering the workforce in any capacity. I traded my time for money for 40+ years and when my wife passed away 4 years ago at 56 that was enough of a hint for me to understand that time ticks away rapidly and for sure no-one is promised tomorrow. No regrets here and if you are bored because you failed to properly plan your exit there are 1000 things you can do besides go back to work. Of course, many use the " I'm bored" excuse because they also failed to plan financially but would never own up to it. However, going back to work is a better alternative to going broke.

manitou1

WKR
Retired 3.5 years ago at 58.5 and while I miss the guys on my crew that made me look good all those years I have zero intentions of re-entering the workforce in any capacity. I traded my time for money for 40+ years and when my wife passed away 4 years ago at 56 that was enough of a hint for me to understand that time ticks away rapidly and for sure no-one is promised tomorrow. No regrets here and if you are bored because you failed to properly plan your exit there are 1000 things you can do besides go back to work. Of course, many use the " I'm bored" excuse because they also failed to plan financially but would never own up to it. However, going back to work is a better alternative to going broke.
For me, money has nothing to do with it. I have an outdoors nirvana right outside the door.
It is just the fact that I desire to make the world a better place in some small fashion. The need to be a positve influence and productive to society is just ingrained... thus I volunteer.

Retired at 60 1/2 years old. wife and I are doing well, never looked back. Buddy of mine ask me if I was going back to work told him I cant I am retired. Hunt and fish when ever I want. Life is good.

FLATHEAD

WKR
@ 56, I'm really looking forward to retirement.
I have no worries of being bored. Too much I want to
do but cant while I'm working.

CRJR45

WKR
I'm 63 and retired way to early from GM , couldn't stand the stupidity anymore . I worked off and on , building maintenance stuff , and remodeling , after retiring . Now I work for myself , I charge top dollar for handyman stuff down here in Florida . I work to play basically , I could live off my pension , but thats all I could do . I was a spender all my life and wish I had saved more money , but I had a ton of fun . Still spend too much , hunting and fishing , but I'm in great shape , for my age . Bad back , but still mobile , so I keep on trucking .
I see people down here that do NOTHING , and wonder how they do it . They play Pickle ball and cards , or whatever is free , just to make it work , I guess . I often wonder if they're the smart ones and I just don't get it ?

Last edited:

Scottf270

WKR
Retired at 59.5 years old. Been nearly two years already. I have no intention of ever working again. Had two bouts with cancer in the last 15 years. Both surgically removed. No other treatments.

Just had a friend's brother pass away at 62 from a heart issue. You never know. I heard "man plans and God laughs". I worked a lot in my 40 year career but always saved a bit. Live very simply when it came to my house and cars etc.

I have a hundred interests and hobbies. Never bored. I kinda pity those who have nothing but work to keep them going.

You can't take it with you and rest assured someone will spend every dollar you worked and scrimped for. Probably your widows new man toy....lol !!!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I fully retired last December (at 64 yoa), so getting close to a year of being fully retired. I just don't see myself reentering the workforce, maybe that will change in the future????

With my new found freedom, I've been able to get a lot of trips in- week+ long snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall, week+ trip across the Sierra's, several early season backcountry hunts and some later backcountry hunts in too. Lots of shorter backpacking trips- including an arduous adventure race, ski trips into Forest Service cabins and celebrating our 41st wedding anniversary to name a few.

My "bucket list" is long, so God wiling, that's my new job :)

Last edited:

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I retired at 50 back in 06. I worked as a mechanic for 31 years the last 26 on heavy equipment. Spent two years fishing and hunting but was getting stir crazy, a friend called me and asked if I would like to pilot big loads around the state, I took him up on the offer and have been self employed since the end of 08. I'm retiring again at the end of the year, I'm 66. Will see if it sticks this time, don't have to work just need to do something. I can't sit around and watch TV.

lonedave

WKR
Retired last year at 63 1/2 and I have no plans to do anything but what I want for the remainder of my time....and that does not include working another "job"! :cool:

I am not over 65 just yet but 60. I have no intention of retiring.
I am in a business that I enjoy and I have built over the last 30 years and have good clients.
Technology allows me to be out of town and not in a office more than a few hours a week.
It is not physically challenging so as long as I can keep my mental abilities up to the task I will continue to enjoy the work and income.

robwill54

FNG
I will turn 69 next July. I'm self employed the last 50 years in the diesel engine business; heavy duty stuff like firepumps, stormpumps, generators, tractors(rigs) and boats. I am the third generation in my family business, and the fourth generation, my son, works with me. I am the training wheels, so retirement is probably out of the question for awhile. But I'm ok with that. I can hunt or fish anytime I want just like you retired guys. And my wife and I spend alot of time in Florida at our second home. I am very blessed, and I tell people all the time when they ask when I will retire, I tell them" They will probably just sweep me out the door someday with the dust."
I think it is very cool that this forum has a place for the old guys.

Bob

tuffcity

WKR
Will be 61 in May. Pretty sure I'll pull the pin this year, somewhere between June and Nov. Fed fish cop for nearly 32 years and still field active. Mostly because that's where my heart is and we don't have enough guys to do the job here. Got side lined by major shoulder surgery this summer- first summer off in over 30 years- and realized I would look good retired! lol Always joked that I was on the "3 bad days" program to retirement but that's down to one bad day now. Hope to get one more summer running jetboats in remote areas and riding in helicopters. :)

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting thread. I'm 63 and still working. In theory I could retire now but I don't feel very comfortable about the nation and the economy so I'm hanging in there for a bit longer. I've got a very flexible job and my plan is to move to retirement slowly - backing off my hours gradually over the next 2-5 years. We'll see how that works out . . .

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting thread. I'm 63 and still working. In theory I could retire now but I don't feel very comfortable about the nation and the economy so I'm hanging in there for a bit longer. I've got a very flexible job and my plan is to move to retirement slowly - backing off my hours gradually over the next 2-5 years. We'll see how that works out . . .

My original plan was to go at 62, but was offered half time work (worked two day one week, three the next- which gave me four and five day weekends) and took it. Did that for two years, boosted my retirement (and SS) a little; I had a lot of time off (two or three days of vacation would net me nine days off with the weekends).

I've since fully retired, but don't regret the extra two years I worked half time :)

Good thread. I went from full time work at home (IT consultant to large insurance co) at age 65 to work as many/few hrs as I want to work now. I’ll be 69 next month and have really enjoyed my work, especially since I know I can leave and time and so does my employer. My role completely revolves around process improvement. Since I work at home or remote I can work from anywhere I want as long as I have internet and phone access. I have actually worked from my truck while traveling out west to hunt or extended trips to Florida, etc. I don’t know how long I’ll continue to work, but my wife and I sure enjoy having the extra spending money. The only real criteria for quitting that I have set for myself and my employer is that I will not allow the job to add stress to my life or interfere with family related things that I would have done if I were retired. So far health for myself and wife are good so steady as it goes for now.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
62 and still installing and sanding hardwood floors. I'd be bored if I stopped. Or probably get out of shape quickly.
3f31b8f7a8526f63b3b2592a0504fb76.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Gun

FNG
Just went exploring on the site this afternoon and found this. Absolutely cool, an old farts hunting forum.

I was forced in to retirement at 64, five years ago because of some weird nerve issues. I hired a lawyer and got a few more months severance out of the company. 30+ yrs as a red seal Machinist/Millwright.

My only regret is selling our acreage. Should have rented it out.
I have worked part time at the golf course across the highway from us. First time I could walk to work. Might do it again this summer. Also possibly working part time for a friend picking up dead horses and hauling them to a landfill.

I strictly Bow hunt and fish some.

Attachments

• 9-26-22 Bull.jpg
    9-26-22 Bull.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 6

Dapper

FNG
70 years old, retired when I was 65.5. Have exercised lightly since my 50's. Currently exercise between 3-3.5 hours a day. Seldom miss a day unless traveling or actively hunting. Still able to head west and hunt the mountains. Just took the largest whitetail of my life, a mile and quarter from my vehicle on public land this past fall. The exercising takes up a chunk of my free time and my day doesn't start until I'm done exercising. My exercise in winter starts out with 5 miles on rowing machine, 150 flights of stairs on stair climber and I walk my two dogs a total of 4 miles. In the summer I drop the stair climber to 100 flights and add a several mile bike ride in. If it rains the indoor exercises increase. Do I like to exercise? No! But the like the results and was told to stay active once I retired.

rayporter

WKR
i like reading these stories. i left in '03 at 51 but had no desire to take them up on the offer for contract work as an inspector.
plenty of horses to break and lots of miles to ride in new country.

and some hunting, too.