Still working

Just curious folks but how many of you "over 65" are still working in some form. When I retired From my gov job, I worked a couple years for small companies but found as many idiots there in management as in government.

For the last 6 years I have been running my own consulting firm for mineral evaluation and permitting. I charged a reasonable rate and stayed busy. I increased my rate and the demand has increased. I'm getting ready to go out on a remote gold placer evaluation for two weeks and had two calls yesterday for more work.

When I return I will start haying to support my stock. After that I would like to focus on hunting prep.

Did you folks just quit or do you have still have a finger in the pot?

I was an IBEW #3 electrician, and loved my job and the guys I worked with.

Having said that, I pulled the pin at 60. While the money was great, time grows short and is never promised. My bucket list was/is too long not to retire. While I miss the fellas and building neat shit, I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Retired at 63, am now 69, think about going back to work but unwilling to give up control of my life. Job controlled my life for many years, was a highly subspecialized professional in a field where you are rarely completely off and unavailable. Got tremendous satisfaction from the job but had enough. In your situation where you can control the demands, would find a balance where you remain active but can do what you want when you want to. Mentally stimulated people age better.

wyosteve

WKR
When I retired from full time, I took a contract position with my former agency. The beauty is that I can choose when and how much I want to do. Don’t do much from April to November and do more November to April. Keeps me in beer and night crawler money!!

66 and still working full time. 4 years in the U.S. Army, 12 years falling timber, and the last 33 years farming 600+ acres of wine grapes. Not to mention ranch work from 8 to 18 years old for my folks and the neighbors. I'm starting to slow down some. I had both of hips replaced, both of my knees replaced and both of my ankles fused. I'm gonna keep going until I can't. My wife wants me to retire after this harvest. I have a Nevada and South Dakota deer tag for this fall. I hope I can find one some what close to the road.

Attachments

• Ankles.jpg
    Ankles.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 46

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
64 and still at it. 2nd career and great job with great benefits. Can pull the pin anytime but most likely will work till 70.

Randy

yfarm

WKR
I am always surprised by the disconnect between the severity of disease on imaging and the impact on the individual patients activity level. People with bad arthritis living a relatively normal life and people with normal xrays that are disabled. A lot of it relates to the half empty or half full mindset, how an individual deals with adversity.

I am always surprised by the disconnect between the severity of disease on imaging and the impact on the individual patients activity level. People with bad arthritis living a relatively normal life and people with normal xrays that are disabled. A lot of it relates to the half empty or half full mindset, how an individual deals with adversity.
I'm sneaking up on 67 yrs old. My wife wants me to retire, I was off work for 4 months with my last surgery and thought I was going to go crazy. I could still be on disability but I begged the doctor to release me back to work with no restrictions I've been back to work for 4 months now still wearing this "Boot" for support. After being off work for 4 months I don't think I want to retire yet. Here's another look at my last surgery.

Attachments

• Hardware.jpg
    Hardware.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 42

49ereric

WKR
I was an IBEW #3 electrician, and loved my job and the guys I worked with.

Having said that, I pulled the pin at 60. While the money was great, time grows short and is never promised. My bucket list was/is too long not to retire. While I miss the fellas and building neat shit, I wouldn't change a thing.
👆 this… almost 61 when I pulled the plug IOUE 49
no bucket list just back to living the simple life just over 63 now.
I missed to much hunting chasing work & $.

OP
P
I just returned from 50 days in a remote camp. Haying started between storms. I hope I can keep up the pace of 50 - 10 hour days. I got a new baler that produces slightly smaller bales.

Too much free time will kill you !

Jethro6x6

FNG
61 an I,ll never retire,,it just was not the way my people did it,,
flunked my union fitters test an never went back ( bad move) been building shidt for 41 years,,,, hunt all I can,,, till they close the lid I guess,,, doing unit 53 nm this year,, o joy,,, straight up an very thick they tell me,,lol onward....

manitou1

WKR
Retired at 60. I miss working, but every time I think of going back to a job my brain reminds me that I will have a schedule and somebody to answer to, which would cut into my hunting, fishing and scouting.
I have learned to replace my desire to "have a purpose" via a job with wildlife volunteer work and study groups... things I didn't have time for in the past.

Less

FNG
I will be 62 in July. Up until the economy went to pot some where between the presidential election and the Covid pandemic. I was planning on maybe retiring at 62. But now the cost of living in general is creeping up ward to almost double what it was before the above mentioned problems happened. I am rethinking things. I have two retirement plans coming when I retire. But both took bad hits due to the economy tanking. Both of them put together isn’t worth 3/4 what one of them alone was worth before the crash.

Wife works and has a small retirement coming. She is 9 years younger than I am. We don’t have a lot of debt. I can tell my health isn’t real good anymore. I used to eat, sleep and breath hunting, fishing, camping. Absolutely loved it and was what made life worth living. Looking back to when I was growing up. I was very lucky to experience it all when there was a lot of game/fish in a way that most 30 year old hunters never will in this day and time.

I can understand these young guys not liking the over crowding and the problems that goes with it especially when it comes to hunting/fishing or any type of outdoors sports. Even us old guys don’t like our hunts and plans messed up from over crowding.

But I think especially you fella’s my age and older know where I am coming from when I talk about how much better the outdoors were when you were in your 20’s and I say a young hunter in his 30’s this day and time can’t understand how much better things were when we were growing up as far as the out doors in general were. Compared to how things are now.

I have worked the job I have now for over 30 years. I am not what you would call rich but make an ok living I guess. Watched a lot of guys that I worked with retire. First thing most of them do is go out and get a job paying way less than half of what they were making before they retired. A lot of them work more hours at their retirement job than they did before they retired. A couple guys I know picks up new cars for a Ford dealer ship. Their will be 5 or 6 guys load up together in a mini van, Drive 400 or 500 miles to drive new vehicles back from a auction that the dealership bout on a internet auction. Get paid 10 or 11 bucks an hour.

All these guys will tell me the only reason they find these so called part time jobs are because they are board and need something to occupy there time so they aren’t so board. Yeah right, some might be doing it for that reason. But these guys I know aren’t. They are doing it to pay bills. This out of control economy isn’t affecting just me and my plans. It’s something these guys I am talking about saw coming either.

One and one guy only who is 78 years old now that retired at 62 told me when he turned 63 he had messed up. Retired too soon, he got a job back with this company he worked for over 35 years up until he turned 62 mowing the grass part time for $ 15 bucks an hour. He told me he retired way too soon.

Everyone’s situation is different I guess. So unless one of these Power Ball lottery tickets I buy every now and then is a winner. Or the economy takes as big of a turn as it has in the last couple of years heading back like it used to be. I am going to have to keep rowing with the rest of the slaves until I either croak or until I turn 67. And then I can see how things are looking. Lol !!! 😎

49ereric

WKR
I will be 62 in July. Up until the economy went to pot some where between the presidential election and the Covid pandemic. I was planning on maybe retiring at 62. But now the cost of living in general is creeping up ward to almost double what it was before the above mentioned problems happened. I am rethinking things. I have two retirement plans coming when I retire. But both took bad hits due to the economy tanking. Both of them put together isn’t worth 3/4 what one of them alone was worth before the crash.

Wife works and has a small retirement coming. She is 9 years younger than I am. We don’t have a lot of debt. I can tell my health isn’t real good anymore. I used to eat, sleep and breath hunting, fishing, camping. Absolutely loved it and was what made life worth living. Looking back to when I was growing up. I was very lucky to experience it all when there was a lot of game/fish in a way that most 30 year old hunters never will in this day and time.

I can understand these young guys not liking the over crowding and the problems that goes with it especially when it comes to hunting/fishing or any type of outdoors sports. Even us old guys don’t like our hunts and plans messed up from over crowding.

But I think especially you fella’s my age and older know where I am coming from when I talk about how much better the outdoors were when you were in your 20’s and I say a young hunter in his 30’s this day and time can’t understand how much better things were when we were growing up as far as the out doors in general were. Compared to how things are now.

I have worked the job I have now for over 30 years. I am not what you would call rich but make an ok living I guess. Watched a lot of guys that I worked with retire. First thing most of them do is go out and get a job paying way less than half of what they were making before they retired. A lot of them work more hours at their retirement job than they did before they retired. A couple guys I know picks up new cars for a Ford dealer ship. Their will be 5 or 6 guys load up together in a mini van, Drive 400 or 500 miles to drive new vehicles back from a auction that the dealership bout on a internet auction. Get paid 10 or 11 bucks an hour.

All these guys will tell me the only reason they find these so called part time jobs are because they are board and need something to occupy there time so they aren’t so board. Yeah right, some might be doing it for that reason. But these guys I know aren’t. They are doing it to pay bills. This out of control economy isn’t affecting just me and my plans. It’s something these guys I am talking about saw coming either.

One and one guy only who is 78 years old now that retired at 62 told me when he turned 63 he had messed up. Retired too soon, he got a job back with this company he worked for over 35 years up until he turned 62 mowing the grass part time for $ 15 bucks an hour. He told me he retired way too soon.

Everyone’s situation is different I guess. So unless one of these Power Ball lottery tickets I buy every now and then is a winner. Or the economy takes as big of a turn as it has in the last couple of years heading back like it used to be. I am going to have to keep rowing with the rest of the slaves until I either croak or until I turn 67. And then I can see how things are looking. Lol !!! 😎
We saved for rainy days so I could stop traveling for union construction work.
delaying SS until 70 if health stays ok. Didn‘t take the union pension early due to % cut but waiting for age 65.Only way to deal with inflation to some extent but we live simply like when we were young.
if I die tomorrow then no worries 😂

Less

FNG
We saved for rainy days so I could stop traveling for union construction work.
delaying SS until 70 if health stays ok. Didn‘t take the union pension early due to % cut but waiting for age 65.Only way to deal with inflation to some extent but we live simply like when we were young.
if I die tomorrow then no worries 😂
I have about the same out look as you do. We all got to die sometime. There’s not much that I haven’t already done anyway. Seems like I enjoy sleeping more than anything else that I do in my free time anyway. So when I die I will get to do what I like best. Sleep ! 😊