Stiff lightweight with some toe room.

I have Arthritis in the joint of my big toe that is making it inceasingly more difficult to find day hikers. Although I don't like a stiff shoe for lightweight hiking I have accepted that my foot does. I have Crispi Wildrocks and Colorados that work as heavier boots but looking for some suggestion that are lighter. Hikers that may be comparable to the Thors in weight and stiffness?

LostArra

WKR
If you find a boot that otherwise meets your criteria, one way I've used to create a little extra toe room is to just skip the first eyelets on the boot. You can still lock the rest of the boot in without cinching the toe area.

Ive been wearing hiking or combat boots for a long time. Ive had to pre-tape hot spots in every one of them on longer days/hikes until the Thor - and I was someone who thought I preferred a less stiff boot as well. Ive never gotten a blister in the Thors paired with Darn Tough socks.

Last 3-4 years Ive used Thor, Thor II, Makra Trek, Makra Combi, Colorado, Summit, Zamberlan Baltoro and Zamberlan Sierra. Id say the 2 pairs of zamberlans are closest to the amount of toe box room as the Thor, are relatively light weight....but neither are quite as stiff. I did have to size down a 1/2 size in both Zamberlans from 9.5 to 9. But for me, nothing has come close to the Thor.

BDRam16

WKR
Not sure why you said “like the Thor” instead of just buying the Thor lol. My Thor IIs are the best all around boot I’ve ever used. I’ve used them in gnarly terrain at 13,000 and on a pheasant hunt in an Indiana ag field. They’re like a comfy tennis shoe with the stiffness of a hunting boot.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as you with the bad feet. I'm thinking the stiffer boots would help allot.

Blandry

WKR
La Sporiva wildcats or Spires. I haven't owned a shoe I would buy TWO of immediately after getting the first pairs but these I purchased two of. Both goretex surround tech.

They have a stiff (board last) sole and you might prefer that.

I prefer my stage 5 stiffness Crispi brikdals or my Schnee's granite pro's in the mountains 100% in dirt but in mixed terrain I prefer a low hiker/approach shoe.

I live in an area where I saw 50 deg and snowpack yesterday on Guanella/argentine pass. so I need a goretex liner in my boots year round.

Vehicle travel is only possible on the Georgetown side of the pass during the summer months by a four-wheel drive vehicle with high-clearance. The trail on the Horseshoe Basin side is only accessible by foot or by mountain bike. The pass is the highest point on the American Discovery Trail.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thors for sure- have two pairs, both with lots of miles and still ticking. Roomy toe box and stiff, but in the realm of hunting boots, relatively light.

Take a look at Asolo boots. I’ve had a pair that I have been wearing for years. They are priced much better and have lasted longer than some of the hunting brands have for me.

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hanwag Tatra light GTX and I think they match what you are looking for very well.