Stay Lenght

Benjblt

WKR
What's all-you-all's opinion on stay length? I bought a Stone Glacier X-Curve and they come in only 26" length stays. Kifaru obviously comes in 22, 24, and 26. I called them up and they said that I would be optimal at 24" stays. I have no experience with high end packs and just purchased my SG. I'm still working on fitting it to my body size. It seems to be pretty awesome but haven't put it to the full test. I've had a little trouble fitting it to exactly they way Kurt describes in his instruction video but I'm pretty close now I think.

Do you think that the 26" is too short for a guy like me that's 5'8" (a little stalky)?

LBFowler

WKR
Yeah, I'd much rather have a hair too much then not quite enough. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

what is the angle on your load lifters? is there a specific fit problem that had you worried about it?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Yeah, I'd much rather have a hair too much then not quite enough. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

what is the angle on your load lifters? is there a specific fit problem that had you worried about it?
I don't really know the angle and the only problem is I'm not getting full contact with the shoulder straps and the alignment of the gray to black that the instructional video shows. Mostly never tried to fit a high end pack before.

I'm a 5' 8", semi stalky guy. Not everything fits me perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
If you're having trouble fitting the pack, give the guys at Stone Glacier a call, they'll be more than happy to help. Additionally, you could check out this video Duplex Frame - YouTube on Kifaru fitting. Essentially it's the same concept, so you may find it helpful.

I don't really know the angle and the only problem is I'm not getting full contact with the shoulder straps and the alignment of the gray to black that the instructional video shows. Mostly never tried to fit a high end pack before.

I'm a 5' 8", semi stalky guy. Not everything fits me perfectly.

Photos then send them to Kurt, or give him a call, I'm 6'3" with a 50 inch chest and I can get kifaru and SG to fit great they are both arguable the most adjustable packs out there, SG a little less then kifaru.
It could be a number of reasons why something is happening but if you start taking opinions in here you could get all jacked up.

On a side note, I'm surprised these high end packs don't offer a skype fitting or something like that, it's obviously not as good as in person but it's better then just the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm 5'8" 31" waist and run the x-curve with a small belt, so it is possible, but you'll notice the top of the stays at the back of your head with a larger bag. And you'll be getting towards the bottom of the harness adjustment range. I'm about an 18.5" torso, here's where my setup lands with the fabric transition on my collar bone (that corresponds to having the load lifter strap take off on the front/top of my shoulder). That fabric "transition" is just a suggestion, you may like how it fits with it higher.
fdf7d6f2c50b80278f1ddfc171edb216.jpg

couple things that I would offer:
- with the belt on, you need some weight in the bag to see how it will really ride on your upper back.
- I'd move the harness straps up and down quite a bit to dial in where you want to be. Exaggerate the strap lengths so you make the torso too long and too short - might help you decide how you want to run that part.
- the load lifters need to be very loose to see how it's going to ride on your upper back with like 25lbs in the bag.
- once you think you have it dialed, do some 40 and 60lb weighted hikes - that will be where you notice the fine tuning needed on the harness.

Definitely call the SG shop, they are super helpful.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What's all-you-all's opinion on stay length? I bought a Stone Glacier X-Curve and they come in only 26" length stays. Kifaru obviously comes in 22, 24, and 26. I called them up and they said that I would be optimal at 24" stays. I have no experience with high end packs and just purchased my SG. I'm still working on fitting it to my body size. It seems to be pretty awesome but haven't put it to the full test. I've had a little trouble fitting it to exactly they way Kurt describes in his instruction video but I'm pretty close now I think.

Do you think that the 26" is too short for a guy like me that's 5'8" (a little stalky)?

To answer your original question, I don't think 26 (SG is 25.5 I think) is too big. But 24" will bug you less, meaning it won't constrict your ability to tip your head back as much.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm 5'8" 31" waist and run the x-curve with a small belt, so it is possible, but you'll notice the top of the stays at the back of your head with a larger bag. And you'll be getting towards the bottom of the harness adjustment range. I'm about an 18.5" torso, here's where my setup lands with the fabric transition on my collar bone (that corresponds to having the load lifter strap take off on the front/top of my shoulder). That fabric "transition" is just a suggestion, you may like how it fits with it higher.
fdf7d6f2c50b80278f1ddfc171edb216.jpg

couple things that I would offer:
- with the belt on, you need some weight in the bag to see how it will really ride on your upper back.
- I'd move the harness straps up and down quite a bit to dial in where you want to be. Exaggerate the strap lengths so you make the torso too long and too short - might help you decide how you want to run that part.
- the load lifters need to be very loose to see how it's going to ride on your upper back with like 25lbs in the bag.
- once you think you have it dialed, do some 40 and 60lb weighted hikes - that will be where you notice the fine tuning needed on the harness.

Definitely call the SG shop, they are super helpful.
Your straps are set a lot lower. When in do that the fabric transition sit noticeably above my collar bone. I might have to do that to get full contact with the straps to my shoulders.

Your straps are set a lot lower. When in do that the fabric transition sit noticeably above my collar bone. I might have to do that to get full contact with the straps to my shoulders.

Just lengthen the yoke then. Are your load lifters cranked down?

It seems that when I do that I don't get the full contact.

Loosen the the load lifters, tighten the shoulder straps till they are completely tight, snug the load lifters up. Back the shoulder straps off 1/4". Make sure you've got some weight in the pack or you will never get what your looking for.

If you have a small gap between the back of your traps and the straps with minimal weight I'd say your good to go.

Again, without any type of photos or anything, tuff to make a guess. I'd call SG on Monday.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Loosen the the load lifters, tighten the shoulder straps till they are completely tight, snug the load lifters up. Back the shoulder straps off 1/4". Make sure you've got some weight in the pack or you will never get what your looking for.

If you have a small gap between the back of your traps and the straps with minimal weight I'd say your good to go.

Again, without any type of photos or anything, tuff to make a guess. I'd call SG on Monday.

maybe that's not too bad.