stalking bear in corn

Hi all,

Pennsy hunter here and looking for some info/advice on stalking bear in corn fields. I am not talking about the traditional PA brush beating and plow through the corn. I was looking for experience from anyone that has archery stalked in standing corn. Gonna be in good area and have fields available that I know have bear damage on them. I have done windy days for whitetail in corn, downwind perpendicular to row line and just wondering if go with the same approach as that or if anyone has any tips or tricks they could share

I wouldn't risk it. If he sees you, hears you, or the wind shifts and smells you after the shot...you have no cover. I'd wanna be in a hard blind. Moving in corn without being heard is gonna require ideal conditions. If you do manage to do it, do not let the bow drop after the shot. become a statue with the bow in the shooting position. Any movement can make you a target and he's gonna bite something once hit. Corn is a much more difficult hunt than your typical bear spot & stalk...your line of sight is very limited. Look at this video to understand the visibility issue concerning me. Not that a grizz will attack you but it's a tougher environment for hunting bear. On the ground in corn with bears? I wanna buddy or two with 12ga shotguns with me. Good luck.

Last edited:

Smtn10pt

FNG
Ive had success hunting the trails leading into the corn. Its very hard to get an archery shot in a standing corn field. The bear would likely be facing away or straight on. I did walk up on one in standing corn last year that was bedded but as soon as I stepped through the row he saw me and bolted. I think you'd be better off hunting them along their trails.

Erict

WKR
Have you ever shot an arrow through standing corn before? I think the only time I'd even consider "stalking" in standing corn is on a very windy day due to the noise. Unless you catch a bear sleeping, it's open eye level is way lower than yours and it will be able to see much farther under the leaves/cobs than you can.

We have bears hitting a corn field now and because it is surrounded by woods they tend to use a few well beaten trails to get to/from. Raccoons and bears can both make a mess of the fields AND make trails that can look the same, so look closely. Good luck.

Hey, so I am wondering about another post you have made, about a browning eclipse m1000 abolt 300WM. I can't reply on that page, but i was wondering if you still had it and was still wanting to sell it.

I have shot a bear in a corn field with a rifle but that was with dogs moving it around. Stalking one would be very difficult here. You would have to be on your hands and knees. My best advice would be to practice some 20 yard shots in the corn and see how you feel after that. Most rifle shots in the corn are laying down or within 15 feet of the bear.

Row by row and keep the wind in your face. Don’t try it on days without wind.