StaBALL Match Powder Experiences

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I need you guys to help me decide if the results I got this weekend are what I see at face value or if I'm causing other problems.

I have been developing loads for a 200gr FTX in my 35 Whelen AI so I was excited when I saw Winchester come out with StaBALL Match. I had been using W748 for this same bullet, and Winchester markets them as twins in burn rate. I loaded up a ladder of StaBALL with the same brass, primer and die settings as my W748 ladder. I got to 2865 fps with W748 but only 2732 fps with the StaBALL match. These numbers are 3 shot averages of the highest velocity load that didn't have visible pressure signs on the brass.

So what gives? Is W748 really that much more energetic than StaBALL Match or did I miss something? IMR 3031 got me to 2947 fps safely so I'll probably abandon both Winchester powders regardless.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Where did you read that about it being the twin of 748? Manual says slightly slower than Varget and on a 308 with 150 Nosler, it it looks a lot different.
IMG_4525.jpeg

OP
L

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you read that about it being the twin of 748? Manual says slightly slower than Varget and on a 308 with 150 Nosler, it it looks a lot different.
View attachment 551970
I was going off of Hodgdon's burn rate chart, which I understand is an imperfect system.

Regardless, the data you provided would indicate that Match should still have given me better velocities than W748 which is why I'm so confounded by the results I netted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_213721_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_213721_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 22

MThuntr

WKR
I'd say it's more of a guide than a 1:1 relationship especially when you have tall columns of powder.

You say you didn't hit pressure. Was there accuracy along your test loads? If not keep working up and see what happens.

EDIT: It may not hold true for StabalMatch but several people I know have expressed pressure spikes near the top end with Stabal6.5 when used in higher capacity cartridges so keep an eye out for rapid bumps in velocity and other pressure signs.

Last edited:
OP
L

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say it's more of a guide than a 1:1 relationship especially when you have tall columns of powder.

You say you didn't hit pressure. Was there accuracy along your test loads? If not keep working up and see what happens.

EDIT: It may not hold true for StabalMatch but several people I know have expressed pressure spikes near the top end with Stabal6.5 when used in higher capacity cartridges so keep an eye out for rapid bumps in velocity and other pressure signs.
Sorry if I was unclear. I very much hit pressure in all 3 ladders (W748, StaBALL Match, and IMR 3031). The velocity figures I provided were for the fastest charges that didn't have overpressure signs. I intentionally omitted the data from loads I deemed overpressure.

The data just doesn't make sense to me. The only encouraging data I found was that I feel confident that I can get a 200gr power hammer bullet up above 3k fps for hunting.

MThuntr

WKR
Sorry if I was unclear. I very much hit pressure in all 3 ladders (W748, StaBALL Match, and IMR 3031). The velocity figures I provided were for the fastest charges that didn't have overpressure signs. I intentionally omitted the data from loads I deemed overpressure.

The data just doesn't make sense to me. The only encouraging data I found was that I feel confident that I can get a 200gr power hammer bullet up above 3k fps for hunting.
I probably didn't read it well the first time. I'd definitely abandon powders that don't do what you want. Kind of expensive option but it squelches the "what if's". Plus now you have a powder to experiment with in another cartridge. My guess is it's probably just too slow for what you want. I just looking at Hodgdon's data, they don't mention Win748 or StabalMatch for the 35 Whelen at all. Not unusual but a sign they're not best adapted. All the powders they do recommend are a bit faster.

Hammer Power Hammers at 3k will make short work of just about anything you point it at.

OP
L

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
35 whelen rarely shows up on most reloading charts for modern powders so I've been having to do some improvisation. I figured if StaBALL Match was too slow then I'd run out of case capacity before I hit pressure, but I didn't factor in the effects of compressed powder.