Spring Bear Hunt Planning

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Brothers,
I am Looking to go on a spring bear hunt to Montana or Idaho for the first time.
Brief History on me I am from Wisconsin and have been out west before. Only thing I have hunted is Mule deer with a good amount of success. I have not hunted in Montana or Idaho before and am looking for a little insight
I graduate from College this may and am planning on going somewhere between may 15th-June 1st.
I have no interest in an outfitter and have done a ton of reading, watching and e-scouting. I plan on packing in camp and staying for 10ish days.
I am not looking for anyone's exact spots or anything like that. I just was wondering if anyone had insight on better parts of the state to hit or look into.
I am fine with gnarly country or whatever it takes. Any help would be great and I am willing to trade info for anything Wisconsin has to offer, I do it all Whitetail, turkey, Walleye, Musky and bass I am more than happy to help a brother out to enjoy my amazing state.
Feel free to PM me or shoot me a text at (920)767-1658
Thanks Gentleman,

What style of hunting are you into and good at? I know people who are deadly still hunters and callers. I don't have the patience to sit looking at trees for more than a couple hours. I like spot and stalk. There are pros and cons of each and in reality be prepared for both. 10 days is great! plan on 3 days minimum to get acclimated to the areas. I personally have hunted MT - good mixture of habitat and plenty of public land. One thing about Idaho is you can bait in most of the state, but 10 days might not be enough time to make that an effective tactic. A big thing to keep in mind is snow pack. I called around to various forest service stations and a lot of the rangers have good intel on what the bears are doing...

I'm currently planning my first "western" hunt, a Montana spring bear. I have spent an incalculable amount of hours on GoHunt filter 2.0 and various GPS platforms. I think just like most things, you have to go do it to be good at it. I don't have anything to trade, but I am free to bounce bear newb questions off of.

gerry35

WKR
Can't help on some of your questions but can say you are in for a treat and you'll love it. No better time to be in the mountains than May when everything is coming to life again. Days are getting warmish but the nights are cool still, you can go from a hot day and a few hours later be in a snow storm! You'll see lots of other animals other than bears and all the birds singing is amazing. I'm in BC but don't think Montana, Idaho or Alaska will be any different in that regard. Can't get enough of it, enjoy your time out there!

Hello Brothers,
I am Looking to go on a spring bear hunt to Montana or Idaho for the first time.
Brief History on me I am from Wisconsin and have been out west before. Only thing I have hunted is Mule deer with a good amount of success. I have not hunted in Montana or Idaho before and am looking for a little insight
I graduate from College this may and am planning on going somewhere between may 15th-June 1st.
I have no interest in an outfitter and have done a ton of reading, watching and e-scouting. I plan on packing in camp and staying for 10ish days.
I am not looking for anyone's exact spots or anything like that. I just was wondering if anyone had insight on better parts of the state to hit or look into.
I am fine with gnarly country or whatever it takes. Any help would be great and I am willing to trade info for anything Wisconsin has to offer, I do it all Whitetail, turkey, Walleye, Musky and bass I am more than happy to help a brother out to enjoy my amazing state.
Feel free to PM me or shoot me a text at (920)767-1658
Thanks Gentleman,
All of western MT is good bear country and has exactly what your looking for. Bears are where you find them and nothing beats boots on the ground. Good 👍