Spring bear 2023 in northern Idaho

What’s going on guys and gals, me and two buddy’s are headed north to the panhandle area to do some spring bear spot and stalk, we will be headed out Friday night after work and have all next week off. Not tied down to any specific areas, but we have never bear hunted Idaho, anything we should be aware of or anything we should know to make this more of a successful trip for us? We are from Oregon, and just looking for some pointers to help us be successful. We plan on doing a lot of walking and like I said earlier not tied to any specific areas. So any help is much appreciated! Thanks

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak to a specific area, but look with your glass more than you look with your feet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
What’s going on guys and gals, me and two buddy’s are headed north to the panhandle area to do some spring bear spot and stalk, we will be headed out Friday night after work and have all next week off. Not tied down to any specific areas, but we have never bear hunted Idaho, anything we should be aware of or anything we should know to make this more of a successful trip for us? We are from Oregon, and just looking for some pointers to help us be successful. We plan on doing a lot of walking and like I said earlier not tied to any specific areas. So any help is much appreciated! Thanks
If you can find some country open enough to glass large swaths that’s never a bad option. I would key in on areas adjacent to rivers if you’re gonna be doing the spot and stock method. If you can find some old log rds in the bottoms with swamps and green grass I would check those.

OP
J
Thanks guys we busted tail today in unit 4,4a but are pretty beat from driving all night. Gonna hit up 6 in the morning I think

Good luck. I had pretty good luck finding bears in Idaho a few weeks ago by using some of the aforementioned techniques. The bears were pretty mobile and constantly on the move. I'd try to find some open country and I wouldn't give up on a spot too soon if you don't see anything immediately.

OP
J
Good luck. I had pretty good luck finding bears in Idaho a few weeks ago by using some of the aforementioned techniques. The bears were pretty mobile and constantly on the move. I'd try to find some open country and I wouldn't give up on a spot too soon if you don't see anything immediately.
Yeah we have been pretty unsuccessful so far, we have been in the 4,4a, and some of 6 today. I think we may try down south a little further the next three days

I noticed where we were there wasn't a ton of size, but a few bears here and there. Bait was involved. From what I have heard bear rut comes soon so maybe some more boars will be cruising