Spotter with forgiving eyebox/long eye relief?

I am looking to buy a spotter but I wear glasses so I am looking for one that has a forgiving eyebox and longer eye relief. Does anyone have spotter they can recommend? I am not interested in a Swaro or Kowa. I just can't justify the cost verses how much this spotter will get used. One of the spotters I was looking at is the Mavin CS.1. It lists the eye relief as 16-19mm but I ran across a post of someone saying that it had a finicky eyebox....

Wapiti151

WKR
best spotter eye relief I've personally experienced was from Leupold GR series, I think eye relief is one of the claims to fame for that scope. I had the 12-40x60 and was a great little spotter. If you digiscope it can be a little bit of a pain, have to take the rubber eye cup off to fit the phone skope. And not sure if anyone else other than phone scope is making an adapter for those. Great scopes for the money though in my opinion, and great for backpacking. Hunting partner wears glasses, he also found it very easy to use. I haven't looked the the maven CS line...imagine GR is as good or a little better.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am looking to buy a spotter but I wear glasses so I am looking for one that has a forgiving eyebox and longer eye relief. Does anyone have spotter they can recommend? I am not interested in a Swaro or Kowa. I just can't justify the cost verses how much this spotter will get used. One of the spotters I was looking at is the Mavin CS.1. It lists the eye relief as 16-19mm but I ran across a post of someone saying that it had a finicky eyebox....

16-19mm is short eye relief. The only real option I am aware of with longer eye relief, and the only one that doesn’t annoy me in use are the Leupold GR and Mark 4 12-40x60mm.

Dobermann

WKR
16-19mm is short eye relief. The only real option I am aware of with longer eye relief, and the only one that doesn’t annoy me in use are the Leupold GR and Mark 4 12-40x60mm.
Is that including the CFS? Or not enough time behind one yet to say?

TaperPin

WKR
Even vintage Leupolds have been known for their long eye relief that allows use with or without glasses.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider

Both the STC/ATC and STX/ATX eyepiece have 20.

I wear glasses and recently switched from the GR to the STC. I'm curious to see how I like it.