Spotter vs higher power scope

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Curious peoples personal experiences of using a spotter vs a high power, greater than 20x, scope. pros and cons you’ve experienced?

Edit: Specifically when looking at game at greater than 500 yards. Not scanning the country side, that’s what binos are for.

Last edited:
Curious peoples personal experiences of using a spotter vs a high power, greater than 20x, scope. pros and cons you’ve experienced?

I have a nice spotter but recently bought a scope with 5-35x with the thought of leaving the spotter at home more. Scopes a little heavier than a lower power scope but significantly lighter than scope and spotter…

I had a spotter and have since parted ways. I have a 3 X 9 scope on my rifle I use to shoot with.

I have binos to look at stuff with.

nobody

WKR
Observation optics are for observing. Binos, spotter, high powered binos, etc.

Aiming devices are for aiming. Riflescopes.

Don’t confuse the two, they have VERY different jobs and applications. And they’re purchased from VERY different manufacturers.

Do all the hunter education instructors a favor and QUIT LOOKING AT THINGS WITH YOUR RIFLESCOPE. Pretty sure that’s like day one of hunter safety.

Your eyes would hurt so bad after minimal use if you used a scope for a spotter. Plus, the image at any given power would be much smaller. Not to mention, the first guy who caught you “scanning” him would likely stomp a Hole in your back side for doing so.

Rich M

WKR
You see a critter you might want to shoot, set up and scope em, if you like him let her bark. If not, move on.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
If you are just verifying if the animal is legal to shoot should have no problems. If you are trying to pick apart an animal or follow it as it moves go with a spotter. The only position with a gun to be stable enough for me to do so would be prone with a rear bag and this for long periods and moving animals would not be comfortable and moving setups takes more time than adjusting a spotter on a tripod. But for certain situations that can be overcome or the trade off maybe worth it for you. Just don't use a scope to scan looking for something. I've been on the other end and don't like it.