Spotter overkill for Yellowstone?

ams30gts

FNG
I'm going to Yellowstone for the 1st time this coming Sept. Is it an overkill for me to bring my 20-60x85 spotter rather than just my 10x42 binos?

I'm also looking for a NovaGrade for my spotter if anyone has one for sale. I'm new to this forum so I can't post in the classifieds yet.

OP
A

ams30gts

FNG
Just to add...My spotter is the Vortex Diamondback HD 20-60x85 and binos are Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42. Both are nothing special, but do good for me when target shooting and I got them cheap with Military discount.

BIGEYES

FNG
Definitely take both. You will see lots of glass set up in the Lamar Valley (lots of wolve viewers).
there are several places where it is worthwhile to take time to set up a spotting scope and just enjoy what is available. ie. Mountain Goats near the Northeast entrance. Hope you enjoy your visit to Yellowstone. Sept is a great time to be there albeit more crowded that It once was.

OP
A

ams30gts

FNG
Definitely take both. You will see lots of glass set up in the Lamar Valley (lots of wolve viewers).
there are several places where it is worthwhile to take time to set up a spotting scope and just enjoy what is available. ie. Mountain Goats near the Northeast entrance. Hope you enjoy your visit to Yellowstone. Sept is a great time to be there albeit more crowded that It once was.

Thanks. I'm still debating on getting a NovaGrade or MagView adapter. I've never used either.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely take both because there will be situations where one is the better option. I have the MagView for my binoculars and I have found that I can use this for a quick setup when I don't want to drag the spotter out. In my case using the video function on my iPhone and getting screen shots off of that gives me the best quality photos at long range.

Both for sure. I was just there this past Sept and it was fairly crowded, but the weather was nice and there were bison and elk everywhere. Did not see any wolves, but most folks who you will see on the side of the road glassing are looking for wolves.

Jimss

WKR
I bring both no matter where I go! You would be amazed at what you will see with a spotter that you’ll miss with binos.

I would recommend an almost new Leica or swaro scope over lesser quality glass. I live on a poppers salary and still found a way to buy the best! You’ll get a lifetimes use, especially if you do much hunting and wildlife viewing.

My current Leica binos and swaro scope were nearly new demo or used models I bought for a chunk off new price. In fact my swaro spotter I bought almost new on this websites classified section. My Leica bino/rangefinder I bought almost brand new from Cameraland at a huge savings.

I sold a bunch of stuff just sitting around so I could buy the best.

Been to Yellowstone more times than I can remember (prob 15+ times).

Necessary NO, but a handful of times I could see what others couldn’t.

A spotter was Def worth it up Lamar Valley and into Cooke city to see sheep, grizzly, wolves.

A spotter allows you to zoom in on what others were squinting and pointing towards. And also, when you get bored and it seems like the action dies down along the road, you can set up a lunch break and glass into places where others can’t see, & you’ll most likely spot something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
Definitely both. Last time through there, I just had binos and even though the wolves looked cool, it would have been great to be able to zoom in on them.

OP
A

ams30gts

FNG
Both for sure. I was just there this past Sept and it was fairly crowded, but the weather was nice and there were bison and elk everywhere. Did not see any wolves, but most folks who you will see on the side of the road glassing are looking for wolves.

I definitely want to see wolves and bears. I know we will see bison and elk more or less for sure.

jimh406

WKR
If you plan to be out early/late, and you think you might want to upgrade your glass, do it before you go.

If you don't have a good tripod, get one.

Wapiti1

WKR
Get up before light and get out there. WAY less traffic and WAY more wildlife.

Sitting on the side of Dunraven Pass watching grizzly is a nice way to spend the afternoon. Take the spotter. Another option is to rent a high end one just for the trip.

Jeremy